EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » African Americans and Ancient Egyptians (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  19  20  21   
Author Topic: African Americans and Ancient Egyptians
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
African Americans: A Pan-African people

The north western slave port at Goree Island, Senegal was only one of several points of departure for Africans being taken to the United States. There were other points as well, stretching as far southward as the present state of Angola. These ports of departure were used for transporting Africans from the African interior - a vast interior; this was the standard method of European colonialism to move African resources from the interior to the ports, where roads and rail routes were built expressly for this purpose.

The ethnic origin of African Americans includes, but is not limited to, the following African peoples:

Northwest Africa to the Gulf of Guinea;
Mossi, Senufo, Mande, Fulani, Toubou, Fulbe, Sara, Moussei, Massa, Wolof, Akan, Ewe, Mandinga, Songhai, Tuareg, Moor, Hausa, Yoruba, Ibo, Kanuri, Ibibio, Tiv, Ijaw...

Angola South;
Ovimbundu, Kimbundu, Mongo, Luba, Kongo, Mangbetu-Azande, Fang, Punu, Nzeiby, Mbede...

In everything, there is both positive as well as negative elements. One of the positive elements of the African slave trade to the United States, was that it created the first contemporary Pan-African ethnic group; a group with a common language and culture and separated only by class distinctions.

To their credit, African Americans, despite the insidious European labeling of some African Americans as 'mulattoes,' 'quadroons,' etc., clearly rejected the caste system that was adopted in Haiti or Jamaica (or South Africa) for example. Marcus Garvey, when he first brought his movement from Jamaica, found this out the hard way, when he tried to use this caste distinction from Jamaica in the USA vis-a-vis WEB DuBois.To Garvey's credit, he quickly adjusted his thinking to this African American ideology of a caste-free community.

African Americans have the unique distinction of being historically-genetically related to a vast majority of African ethnic-linguistic groups. In this sense, the African American identification to all African cultures is not merely a philosophical one, as in the case of a European Swede identifying with a European ancient Greece; The African Americans' identification with all African cultures, including and especially, the ancient Nile valley cultures, is both historically and genetically authentic and valid.

It has nothing at all to do with what one chooses to believe or not to believe...

Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zarahan aka Enrique Cardova
Member # 15718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zarahan aka Enrique Cardova     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as OVERALL Haplogroup E, and the PN2 transition, which links Africans together across the continent, that African Americans are more related to Egyptians than Europeans or Middle Easterners like Arabs.

-

-

and we know about the limb proportions showing they are more related than Europeans or Middle Easterners.

-

And some have urged Black Americans to look
not at Egypt but to Nubia, since it is supposedly
more "representative." Very well, but when we
look at Nubia, we find that the much touted
Negroid Nubians were ethnically the people
closest to the Egyptians. How's that for irony?

-

-

http://nilevalleypeoples.blogspot.com/

Posts: 5905 | From: The Hammer | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zarahan aka Enrique Cardova
Member # 15718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zarahan aka Enrique Cardova     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
However in one sense it could be contended that
whites have a greater link to the Nile Valley.
The bone, remnant body fluids and skin of dead
Egyptians were a major item in European cannibalism
on into the 17th century. In this, Black Americans
have indeed been out-shined by European "role models.."
-----------------------------------------------------

-

http://nilevalleypeoples.blogspot.com/

Posts: 5905 | From: The Hammer | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
from Myra's site:
quote:

Now I will try to relate the above regions to selected ethnic groups. I've collected this data from a variety of sources, and I can't vouch for all of them. The central question for me is always, "Were these people called by that name during that time in that place?" I don't know how to show the nomadic and semi-nomadic groups, but I included several below anyway.

SENEGAMBIA: Wolof, Mandingo, Malinke, Bambara, Papel, Limba, Bola, Balante, Serer, Fula, Tucolor

SIERRA LEONE: Temne, Mende, Kisi, Goree, Kru.

WINDWARD COAST (including Liberia): Baoule, Vai, De, Gola (Gullah), Bassa, Grebo.

GOLD COAST: Ewe, Ga, Fante, Ashante, Twi, Brong

BIGHT OF BENIN & BIGHT OF BIAFRA combined: Yoruba, Nupe, Benin, Dahomean (Fon), Edo-Bini, Allada, Efik, Lbibio, Ljaw, Lbani, Lgbo (Calabar)

CENTRAL & SOUTHEAST AFRICA: BaKongo, MaLimbo, Ndungo, BaMbo, BaLimbe, BaDongo, Luba, Loanga, Ovimbundu, Cabinda, Pembe, Imbangala, Mbundu, BaNdulunda

Other possible groups that maybe should be included as a "Ancestral group" of African Americans:

Fulani, Tuareg, Dialonke, Massina, Dogon, Songhay, Jekri, Jukun, Domaa, Tallensi, Mossi, Nzima, Akwamu, Egba, Fang, and Ge.

Best Regards,
Kwame Bandele

http://wysinger.homestead.com/mapofafricadiaspora.html
Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Most confused individuals seem to want to put Africans into neat little rigid compartments as if Africans (indeed all humans) are not a mobile group of peoples, rather than accept the historical reality that western Africans have moved to the east; eastern Africans have moved both westward and southward. The Ancient Egyptians originated, like most Africans, in the regions of the Great Lakes; how did they end up so far north? The Batutsi of Rwanda and Burundi did not always inhabit those territories. When the Europeans began to settle in the area of south Africa, the Bantu migrations were still pushing southwards...

This approach to African history; of stagnant ethnicites, and of non-migrations is not only simplistic and immature, it is completely wrong. Human civilization is one continuous and collective historical process, where no one people, in isolation, creates a culture, unaware of the knowledge developed by others.

If I were engaged in a paternity suit and I wanted to determine whether or not the child was mine, I would demand a DNA test. But, there is NO DNA test that can tell me the extent and the individuality of all of my African (and non-African) ancestors:

Prior to DNA, blood tests were a less reliable indicator of parantage, but useful. Blood tests also showed that West Africans and Upper Egyptians had the same blood types; but neither blood tests nor DNA can tell me, or anyone else the various peoples that came together to generate me!

If I were to trace my ancestry to "Kunta Kente" in the region that is now within the country of Senegal, I would not be so naive as to believe that he is my "Adam" but merely only one of them; this reality/objective truth seems to go over a lot of folks' head...

(Aside Note: I also recall reading an old anthropological text in the stacks of the library which gave the ancestral lineages of mostly European groups, and was astounded to find that much of the ancestry of the German nationality was Asian, mostly hun (and hence the offensive term for a German - Kraut); and this was written long before DNA research! I don't think it was a book by Ashley Montagu, but maybe it was, but a prominent anthropologist from the 1950's; there's a wealth of info in the old texts. But, I have read a lot of books, so I'm not sure of the source for this... [Smile] )

African Americans are related to the Ancient Egyptians by way of migrations of Africans from the Nile valley, the slave trade which served to combine these various groups, who were alread pretty much combined, and who became African-Americans. The lineage is historical and has nothing to do with the fact that the Ancient Egyptians and African Americans are Blacks.

-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AHHH..African American Culture!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_American_culture
African-American culture in the United States refers to the cultural contributions of Americans of African descent to the culture of the United States, either as part of or distinct from American culture. The distinct identity of African American culture is rooted in the historical experience of the African American people, including the Middle Passage, and thus the culture retains a distinct identity while at the same time it is enormously influential to American culture as a whole.

African American culture is rooted in Africa. It is a blend of chiefly sub-Saharan African and Sahelean cultures. Although slavery greatly restricted the ability of Americans of African descent to practice their cultural traditions, many practices, values, and beliefs survived and over time have modified or blended with European American culture. There are some facets of African American culture that were accentuated by the slavery period. The result is a unique and dynamic culture that has had and continues to have a profound impact on mainstream American culture, as well as the culture of the broader world.

After emancipation, unique African American traditions continued to flourish, as distinctive traditions or radical innovations in music, art, literature, religion, cuisine, and other fields. While for some time sociologists, such as Gunnar Myrdal and Patrick Moynihan, believed that African Americans had lost most cultural ties with Africa, anthropological field research by Melville Herskovits and others demonstrated that there is a continuum of African traditions among Africans of the Diaspora.[1] The greatest influence of African cultural practices on European culture is found below the Mason-Dixon in the American South.[2][3]

For many years African American culture developed separately from mainstream American culture because of the persistence of racial discrimination in America, as well as African American slave descendants' desire to maintain their own traditions. Today, African American culture has become a significant part of American culture and yet, at the same time, remains a distinct cultural body.[4]

-
 -
 -
[/img]http://www.rashaentertainment.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/monica.jpg[img]
 -
[img]http://space.about.com/library/graphics/anderson.jpg[img]

Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See WE GOT DA FUNK..thread Ancient Egypt side.^
Posts: 6546 | From: japan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Zar in Egypt and in America
quote:

ausar wrote;
Zar rituals are mostly practiced in lower class Sai'idi and Baladi communities throughout Egypt. The reason why many are practiced is either to heal or caste out evil spirits.

Most of the major participants are females. Very few males lead these ceremonies,and it tends to be an outlet for women in a male dominated society.

If you are at all familiar with Voodoo or Voudum, you know what Zar is...

quote:

"Zar, in the sense of possession, is usually, though not exclusively, inherited. It is also contagious and may strike at any time. Diriye Abdullahi, a native of Somalia, says that the zar is basically a dance of spirits, or a religious dance - kind of leftover from the old African deities, a variant of what we describe in the west as "voodoo". The old African deities were headed by two figures; Azuzar (the male, assoc. with Osiris) and Ausitu (the female, known in the west as Isis). Ausitu (or Aysitu in Somalia) is still celebrated and given offerings by pregnant women so that she will provide them with a safe birth. He describes it as a ritual dance which is mostly observed by women, especially older women. This corresponds to the practice of older African religions, in which older women were the priestesses. He maintains that younger women, especially unmarried women, are not generally thought to be "worthy of a visit by the spirit of Zar, who chooses domicile or residence in the person who is his choice."
Traditionally, women are carriers of the Zar tradition. A Zar is a spirit. Some Ethiopians and Yemenis have their own Zar, like a guide of guardian angel. The dance ritual, Zar, like other traditional healing ceremonies, as for instance practiced by the !Kung of Southern Africa, is done to regain a sense of balance and harmony in one's life and in tandem with the community.
The word Zar is thought by some to be a corruption of Jar which in the Cushitic language of the Agaw people is the word for Waaq the sky god. The Rastafarians call god Jah.
And Yah is a very old Ancient Egyptian word for God.
See also:
The Zar: Women's Theatre in the Southern Sudan,"Women's Medicine: Zar Cult in Africa and Beyond, ed. by Ioan Lewis, Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 1991

from my own experiences...
As an African American, born in (Voodoo) Louisiana...
One of the first things you learn as a Black youngster is that when you go to church on Sunday, DO NOT SIT NEXT TO A WOMAN, especially a middle-aged one. When this "zar spirit" hits one of these women (it usually affects several women almost simultaneously), they begin to gesticulate and shout out loud. They then, usually, make their way to the church's aisle where they begin to dance themselves into a trance like frenzy, eventually feinting or becoming rigid, where they have to be fanned and literally carried out of the auditorium. And your biggest fear is that this spirit might also hit you!
...we call this 'the Holy Ghost' in (Voodoo) Louisiana.

The only thing missing is some formalized ritual, which obviously isn't necessary.

and from EW Budge on Ancient Egyptian Voodoo

quote:

It was well known in Egypt and the Sudan at a very early period that if a magician obtained some portion of a person's body, e.g., a hair, a paring of a nail, a fragment of skin, or a portion of some efflux from the body, spells could be used upon them which would have the effect of causing grievous harm to that person. --Legends of the Egyptian Gods, EW Budge, p.xxxiv

...and my mama would always make sure that clipped nails or cut hair was always flushed down the toilet!
[Cool]

argyle104
Member # 14634

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for argyle104     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Folks you have to understand that Wally has low self-esteem because he has been told by the whites in his country that he is nothing, so therefore needs to come up with looney tune myths and fiction to connect himself with the lone culture and people in Africa that whites hold in high regard.

Ancient Egypt and the Ancient Egyptians.

Poor, poor Wally.

Posts: 3085 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Argie. Let the brother vent. What's your problem.

I do take exception to the Marcus Garvey vis-a-vis DuBois statement.

Being of Caribbean parentage I did my reserach on Marcus and it did not go down like that.. . . but we are all black people with strong links eg Malcolm (part Caribbean Parentage), Powell, Holder, Biggie [Big Grin] , etc. 1st generation.

Let's not get caught up in that we all have the same objective here.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by xyyman:
Hey Argie. Let the brother vent. What's your problem.

I do take exception to the Marcus Garvey vis-a-vis DuBois statement.

Being of Caribbean parentage I did my reserach on Marcus and it did not go down like that.. . . but we are all black people with strong links eg Malcolm (part Caribbean Parentage), Powell, Holder, Biggie [Big Grin] , etc. 1st generation.

Let's not get caught up in that we all have the same objective here.

[Big Grin]

It never ceases to amaze me that someone, sitting at the computer, a fountainhead of information, can make such ill informed statements!

quote:
Garvey's espousal of the doctrine of racial purity, beginning in the summer of 1921, however, did not originate with his alleged West Indian misreading of the supposedly different system of racial segmentation in America. "Not only did Garvey advocate race purity," E. D. Cronon comments in Black Moses, "but as a Jamaican black he attempted to transfer the West Indian three-way color caste system to the United States by attacking mulatto leaders" (p. 191). This view echoed DuBois's earlier statement in his essay "Back to Africa," in which he claimed that Garvey brought to America "the new West Indian conception of the color line" (p.541). "Imagine, then, the surprise and disgust of these Americans when Garvey launched his Jamaican color scheme," DuBois recounted (p. 542).
Marcus Garvey and WEB DuBois
http://www.ritesofpassage.org/garvey_dubois.htm

I try, unlike some here, to have a knowledge of what I say before I say it; IE, I've read many books on/by both Marcus Garvey and Dr. DuBois...

FYI:
Vent:release: activity that frees or expresses creative energy or emotion

Inform: impart knowledge of some fact, state or affairs...

...notice the difference?

[Cool]

argyle104
Member # 14634

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for argyle104     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wally wrote:
quote:
I try, unlike some here, to have a knowledge of what I say before I say it
No you don't. The very fact that you wildly claim that only "west" Africans (which for some reason you run away from defining) were the brought over as slaves.

You're a dullard Wally that can't learn because your mind has been sodomized by your white owners and teevee. That is why your posts are devoid of factual evidence, thus are looked upon as jokes.

Posts: 3085 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is not the time and place to get into a war of words about what happened between Marcus and DuBois. They were ALL calling each other names .. . . . It was a power struggle for the hearts and minds of black folks then. Marcus accused Garvey of being a HN.etc etc etc.

My man Malcolm(not the early racist Malcolm but Shabazz) helped US all reach Nirvana.

You don't believe me. . . ask Obama.

Unlike some here I have the politics down.. . . I am now scratching the surface of the history. . . .

"Appreciate all you'll help."

Quote from Wally:
I try, unlike some here, to have a knowledge of what I say before I say it; IE, I've read many books on/by both Marcus Garvey and Dr. DuBois...

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
argyle104
Member # 14634

Rate Member
xyyman wrote:
---------------------
---------------------

Man stfu. Your sorry ass is worse than whatbox aka jeeves. The boy Wally is supposed to be grown, he can defend himself presumably.

Since you've been here no one has learned one thing from your worthless hide.

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a sick relationship between Djehuti, Whatbox and Xyyman I have to unravel.

These 3 characters have taken me for a ride too long. I dedicate the rest of my life to seeing them punished for their transgressions.

Arwa and Tigerlilly no longer exist in my e-world. Consider yourself/yourselves forever dismissed.

I'm not even going to talk about the vets.

Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
quote:

Most confused individuals seem to want to put Africans into neat little rigid compartments as if Africans (indeed all humans) are not a mobile group of peoples, rather than accept the historical reality that western Africans have moved to the east; eastern Africans have moved both westward and southward. The Ancient Egyptians originated, like most Africans, in the regions of the Great Lakes; how did they end up so far north? The Batutsi of Rwanda and Burundi did not always inhabit those territories. When the Europeans began to settle in the area of south Africa, the Bantu migrations were still pushing southwards...

This approach to African history; of stagnant ethnicites, and of non-migrations is not only simplistic and immature, it is completely wrong. Human civilization is one continuous and collective historical process, where no one people, in isolation, creates a culture, unaware of the knowledge developed by others.

If I were engaged in a paternity suit and I wanted to determine whether or not the child was mine, I would demand a DNA test. But, there is NO DNA test that can tell me the extent and the individuality of all of my African (and non-African) ancestors:

Prior to DNA, blood tests were a less reliable indicator of parantage, but useful. Blood tests also showed that West Africans and Upper Egyptians had the same blood types; but neither blood tests nor DNA can tell me, or anyone else the various peoples that came together to generate me!

If I were to trace my ancestry to "Kunta Kente" in the region that is now within the country of Senegal, I would not be so naive as to believe that he is my "Adam" but merely only one of them; this reality/objective truth seems to go over a lot of folks' head...

(Aside Note: I also recall reading an old anthropological text in the stacks of the library which gave the ancestral lineages of mostly European groups, and was astounded to find that much of the ancestry of the German nationality was Asian, mostly hun (and hence the offensive term for a German - Kraut); and this was written long before DNA research! I don't think it was a book by Ashley Montagu, but maybe it was, but a prominent anthropologist from the 1950's; there's a wealth of info in the old texts. But, I have read a lot of books, so I'm not sure of the source for this... [Smile] )

African Americans are related to the Ancient Egyptians by way of migrations of Africans from the Nile valley, the slave trade which served to combine these various groups, who were alread pretty much combined, and who became African-Americans. The lineage is historical and has nothing to do with the fact that the Ancient Egyptians and African Americans are Blacks.

...so let us continue the discussion...
anguishofbeing
Member # 16736

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for anguishofbeing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wally:
quote:
Garvey's espousal of the doctrine of racial purity, beginning in the summer of 1921, however, did not originate with his alleged West Indian misreading of the supposedly different system of racial segmentation in America. "Not only did Garvey advocate race purity," E. D. Cronon comments in Black Moses, "but as a Jamaican black he attempted to transfer the West Indian three-way color caste system to the United States by attacking mulatto leaders" (p. 191). This view echoed DuBois's earlier statement in his essay "Back to Africa," in which he claimed that Garvey brought to America "the new West Indian conception of the color line" (p.541). "Imagine, then, the surprise and disgust of these Americans when Garvey launched his Jamaican color scheme," DuBois recounted (p. 542).
Marcus Garvey and WEB DuBois
http://www.ritesofpassage.org/garvey_dubois.htm

Complete and utter Cronon (whiteman) type BS interpretation commonly echoed by Garvey's integrationist detractors. Read Race First by Tony Martin. Garvey didn't attempt to bring any "caste" system to America.
Posts: 4254 | From: dasein | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Don't want to mess up your thread.. . .Wally so this is the last non-topic post.

Quote: Bogle ". . . BS interpretation commonly echoed by Garvey's integrationist detractors. . . ". As I said Garvey called DeBois a HN.

Similarly Malcolm called King, another integrationist, a HN.

These guys had different approaches to solving a problem ie racism.

@ Argie - Quote: "Since you've been here no one has learned one thing from your worthless hide"

I am gong to take you seriously this ONE time. Seems like you cannot keep up. Have problems developing and fine tuning a premise. Here is one or two from me "evolution of white people" and "origin of R1b and Hg-I".

Now. . . . please keep up!!!!!!!! I am not going to read to you any more. eg didn't realize I wasn't talking to you. . .so fughking THICK!!.

@ YH - to paraphrase Tiger. . . adults are talking. Stay out of this.

Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GO F!UCK YOURSELF AND YOUR MOTHER. MOTHERFUCKER.
Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
xyyman,
Let me be clear, my personal ideological "heroes" are:

a) Marcus Garvey

b) Malcolm X

c) Kwame Nkrumah ( the most brilliant and Malcolm's "hero" as well...Garvey was Nkrumah's "hero")

What common trait which all of these figures exhibited was that of self-critical analysis; self-analyzing your critical errors and therefore being able to correct them.

You mistook my factual comment on Garvey's error as a 'knock' on Garvey; completely ignoring the fact that I pointed out Garvey's astute correction of his error via self-critical analysis, which was implied in my statement - "To Garvey's credit, he quickly adjusted his thinking to this African American ideology of a caste-free community."

...that is all...

Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
quote:
African Americans: A Pan-African people

The north western slave port at Goree Island, Senegal was only one of several points of departure for Africans being taken to the United States. There were other points as well, stretching as far southward as the present state of Angola. These ports of departure were used for transporting Africans from the African interior - a vast interior; this was the standard method of European colonialism to move African resources from the interior to the ports, where roads and rail routes were built expressly for this purpose.

The ethnic origin of African Americans includes, but is not limited to, the following African peoples:

Northwest Africa to the Gulf of Guinea;
Mossi, Senufo, Mande, Fulani, Toubou, Fulbe, Sara, Moussei, Massa, Wolof, Akan, Ewe, Mandinga, Songhai, Tuareg, Moor, Hausa, Yoruba, Ibo, Kanuri, Ibibio, Tiv, Ijaw...

Angola South;
Ovimbundu, Kimbundu, Mongo, Luba, Kongo, Mangbetu-Azande, Fang, Punu, Nzeiby, Mbede...

In everything, there is both positive as well as negative elements. One of the positive elements of the African slave trade to the United States, was that it created the first contemporary Pan-African ethnic group; a group with a common language and culture and separated only by class distinctions.

To their credit, African Americans, despite the insidious European labeling of some African Americans as 'mulattoes,' 'quadroons,' etc., clearly rejected the caste system that was adopted in Haiti or Jamaica (or South Africa) for example. Marcus Garvey, when he first brought his movement from Jamaica, found this out the hard way, when he tried to use this caste distinction from Jamaica in the USA vis-a-vis WEB DuBois.To Garvey's credit, he quickly adjusted his thinking to this African American ideology of a caste-free community.

African Americans have the unique distinction of being historically-genetically related to a vast majority of African ethnic-linguistic groups. In this sense, the African American identification to all African cultures is not merely a philosophical one, as in the case of a European Swede identifying with a European ancient Greece; The African Americans' identification with all African cultures, including and especially, the ancient Nile valley cultures, is both historically and genetically authentic and valid.

It has nothing at all to do with what one chooses to believe or not to believe...

argyle104
Member # 14634

Rate Member
Wally wrote:
quote:
People this is why this Wally fool gets beat down routinely by more seasoned and intellectual posters.

Wally, why are saying the slave trade only involved so called "west" Africa when it has proven with facts that it did not?

You are not employed in a high class career or own a business do you Wally? Because those types of people have brains and understand facts, evidence, and proof.

If you are even employed Wally, it is most likely low level with no chance for advancement because you cannot think and you have a mind that is based on dogma which does not allow you to learn for fear of that said dogma being rendered useless due to facts and evidence that destroys it.

anguishofbeing
Member # 16736

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for anguishofbeing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
You mistook my factual comment on Garvey's error as a 'knock' on Garvey

Don't talk rubbish. There is nothing factual about it. Present evidence, save an anti-Garvey article by his rival Dubois, that Garvey was attempting to import a "West Indian color caste" system in America.
Posts: 4254 | From: dasein | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The bottom line disagreement between the two opponents were integrate or repatriate..any disagreement on light-skined vs dark-skinnend was a side issue, In Jamaica and other places in the Caribbean the English did sharpend the divide between the two they being the masters of divide and conquer and really they had to since they were out numbered,and needed a buffer,In the good ol U.S.A that was not needed as much since they the whites had numericial advantage.But you can see that almost immediately after indipendence..they tried dispence with the whole notion of "mulatto race"..and reuniting of family...not perfect in the least but a huge leap from what it was. In America the same thing happened when African centered folks started their literary strike back...in the Harlem renaissance. In the end Dubois thought Marcus Garvey may have been right...he made is home in Ghana where he died and was buried. Some Rastas made their home in Shashamene Ethiopia...while the majority of us stayed put, making that spiritual journey instead..or a quick visit.
Posts: 6546 | From: japan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
I was about to make a new thread but this will do just fine;

The history of why blacks esp.New World blacks focus on Kemet.

There was a time when most black gave Egypt a wide berth. beleiving it an evil land connected to the wicked Pharoah who enslaved a people much like themselves called Jews, they like the Jews of the Bible awaited a deliverer..a Moses type figure. Ethiopia was different because their slave owners sometimes made reference to them as Ethiopians,and those who could read the bible saw Ethiopia as the promise land, But as literacy grew they began to dig deeper into Bibical lore,they hit upon the table of nations and all those begots...remember the curse of Ham was still being taught as fact in Sunday Schools in both Black and White churches,..but a quick look at the sons of Ham and doubts about Ham's decendants being hewers of wood and drawers of water..quickly spread. The decendants of Ham seems mighty beyond beleif, They also notice that many of the son's of Japath were now claiming some sorta of kinship with at least two of Ham's son Canaan and Miser, That.. what was once Black and acursed has now became white and glorified..they began to go out and find the truth for themselves...They were aided by the works of Gaston-Masporo C.f Volney,Garhold Massey and others, Later they would formed their own Historians such as Arthur Schomburg, John Wesley Cromwell, Kelly Miller, J.A. Rogers, John Henrik Clarke, Dr. Ben Jochannon, John Jackson, Drusilla Dunjee Houston Charles H. Wesley, Monroe Nathan Work, Merl R. Eppse, C.L.R. James, George Padmore, and George G.M. James ...These men and women would be often ridicule by the establishment for seeking to give the Negro as place he did not deserved...thanks to these men and women and others yet to mentioned...we have a sence of who we are and our place in the world.

But the official break through has to go to two Africans Cheikh Anta Diop and Theophile Obenga who put the intellectual smack down in the Symposium in Cairo, Egypt in 1974. and things has never been the same ever again..ever!!.

Gone were the days when we could look at the Ten Commandments without protest, when National Geographic Magazine could print milk white Pharoahs without a single letter to the editor.

Today the Euro-centric view of Kemet is all but dead save for a few trolls who pollute the internet in general and this forum in particular.

Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Elementary Reality of the African American's Ethnic origins

1) African Americans are the biological descendants of the Akan of Ghana

2) African Americans are the biological descendants of the Yoruba of Nigeria

3) African Americans are the biological descendants of the Wolof of Senegal

4) African Americans are the biological descendants of the Fulani of the Sahel

6) African Americans are the biological descendants of the Tuareg of the Sahel

7) African Americans are the biological descendants of the ancient Kushites of Sudan vis-a-vis 1-6

8) African Americans are the biological descendants of the ancient Egyptians of Egypt vis-a-vis 1-6

also including all of the following:

Mossi, Senufo, Mande, Toubou, Sara, Moussei, Massa, Ewe, Mandinga, Songhai, Moor, Hausa, Ibo, Kanuri, Ibibio, Tiv, Ijaw, Luo, Kikuyu, Ovimbundu, Kimbundu, Mongo, Luba, Kongo, Mangbetu-Azande, Fang, Punu, Nzeiby, Mbede, Nubian, Nuer, Dinka, ---etc, etc,---

The West African slave ports were merely ports of convenience for the Atlantic Slave Trade, but Africans brought and sold slaves from as far afield as Tanzania, Mozambique...

Note: this list represents only the predominantly African ethnic components; the minority European and Native American ethnic components are not included, but does not mean they aren't there...

Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Don't forget Madagascar..in Jamaica a large body of them escaped into the mountains as a group just shortly after their arrival and formed their own Maroon community...later to be taken over by the Akans..after a mano o mamo machate duel to the death match between the leader and the leader of the Akan.
Hammer
Member # 17003

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hammer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wally likes to dream and make things up. Even as he writes this stuff he knows AA's are not realted to AE.
Posts: 2036 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not take this over to the AE forum where
it was first broached over a year ago anyway?
This is not Egyptology by any stretch of the
imagination. Nor is it Africana. What it is
is Black Studies aka "Urban" Studies. This is
just sociology that'll breed racialist shitshat.

--------------------
Intellectual property of YYT al~Takruri © 2004 - 2017. All rights reserved.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anguishofbeing
Member # 16736

Rate Member
^ theres that Jew hypocrisy again. A while back you posted a thread about "Stolen Legacy"; some would argue that's not "Egyptology".
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Brada-Anansi:
Don't forget Madagascar..in Jamaica a large body of them escaped into the mountains as a group just shortly after their arrival and formed their own Maroon community...later to be taken over by the Akans..after a mano o mamo machate duel to the death match between the leader and the leader of the Akan.

Another good example, yes.

And you also reveal the schism between African ethnic groups in Jamaica that did not occur in America; do you recall the scene, if you saw the film, in Amistad where the Africans had tables set up to represent their respective groups upon their arrival in America? Well, this didn't fit in with the Americans' sense of slave efficiency - they wanted a cohesive unit to till their fields and to harvest their crops, rather than have the cost of labor being diverted by ethnic strife, of which you described as happening in Jamaica...

anguishofbeing
Member # 16736

Rate Member
^ the split between the "maroons" and the rest of the African captives in Jamaica wasn't along African ethnic lines.
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
From the land of my birth - Louisiana

quote:
Hall methodically argues that two-thirds of the slaves that arrived in Louisiana were brought from Senegambia, "a site of the great medieval Ghana, Mali, and Songhai trade," a region homogeneous in culture and history, located between the rivers Senegal and Gambia.
The slaves from this region spoke Serrer, Wolof, and Pulaar, which are closely related, and Malinke, spoken in the east by the Mande people. Hall supports with data the fact that Senegambia was the main source of slave trade between Africa and Louisiana in the eighteenth century

Africans in colonial Louisiana:the development of Afro-Creole culture in the Eighteenth Century

You can (and should) read pages from this book;

http://books.google.com/books?id=Arybfb4UWtwC&printsec=frontcover&dq=Africans+in+colonial+Louisiana#v=onepage&q=&f=false

...And what are the origins of the Senegambians?

Wolof By Tijan M. Sallah

-

the 'Master's voice...
quote:
According to the late Cheikh Anta Diop, the great Senegalese historian and anthropologist, the main groups of people in Senegambia have their origins in Ancient Egypt. To support his theory, Diop draws on a number of disciplines from archaeology to linguistics, and a variety of sources from African oral traditions to the writings of Greeks and Arabs.

Insight Guides: The Gambia and Senegal, 1996 APA Publications (HK) Ltd, Houghton Mifflin Company

Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Bogle
quote:
^ the split between the "maroons" and the rest of the African captives in Jamaica wasn't along African ethnic lines.
True, because Codjo(Maroon leader) made a law that says... all must communicate in English under the pain of death..African language was to be use for ritual and religious purposes only. But it was the Akans who gain leadership of all Maroon cummunities in Jamaica.
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
I guess this is somehow tangentially related to the topic, so...

I simply responded to your statement and this is how my mind processed this information:

quote:

Don't forget Madagascar..in Jamaica a large body of them escaped into the mountains as a group just shortly after their arrival and formed their own Maroon community...

A large group of Maroons (aka escaped slaves) from the island of Madagascar formed their own Maroon community (of Malagasy ethnic groups)...
quote:

later to be taken over by the Akans..after a mano o mamo machate duel to the death match between the leader and the leader of the Akan.

...The Akan is an ethnic group brought from the Gold Coast (Ghana).

Thus, your statement is that the Akan ethnic group took over, in a "mano o mano" duel, the ethnic Malagasy community and then the response to this is:

Bogle "the split between the "maroons" and the rest of the African captives in Jamaica wasn't along African ethnic lines. " [Confused]

Brada-Anansi "True, because Codjo(Maroon leader) made a law that says... all must communicate in English under the pain of death..African language was to be use for ritual and religious purposes only. But it was the Akans who gain(ed) leadership of all Maroon cummunities in Jamaica."

The Akan ethnic group gained leadership of all escaped slave communities in Jamaica! And this isn't about ethnic conflict??? [Roll Eyes]

By this illogic, I guess that the Tutsi vs Hutu conflict was also not along ethnic lines...

BTW; Kudjo is an Akan name which means "Monday's child"

[Cool]

Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Wally not really, you see the people that went off into the mountains were varied,so to head off ethnic conflict that could develope he had every body speaking English as a unifying language including his own Akan.The Madagascans were special in that they were able to do so in a body.
I don't know why Akans became dominant maybe there was just more of them.

And as far as ethnic names Jamaica has a lot of Akan base names such as Accompong,a Maroon settlement, names like Quashi, the horn that they used to rally or called the community together is called an Abeng. In our everyday speech we used words like nyam meaning to eat... nyami nyami = a greedy person, koodeh= look there Kooyah= look here.our local language is peppered with such.

anguishofbeing
Member # 16736

Rate Member
quote:
he Akan ethnic group gained leadership of all escaped slave communities in Jamaica! And this isn't about ethnic conflict??? [Roll Eyes]

There were not many "escaped slave communities" to begin with and I have never heard of any "Madagascar" Maroons in Jamaica of significance. The Asante west Africans were the dominant African group in Jamaica so it would not be surprising if a small Madagascar community, if it existed, would be absorbed by them.

The "maroons" began as armed slaves the Spanish used to fight the British. After they defeated the Spanish the Britsh were unable to defeat the "maroons" and thus made a treaty with them to capture runaway slaves. This betrayal led to division among the Maroons, but again, it was not along ethnic lines. ALL African runaways captured were turned, no consideration for "ethnic" groups. The "Marrons" became the British police force instrumental in killing rebel leaders like Taky and even in suppressing the 1865 rebellion, none of these battles were along ethnic lines.

quote:
By this illogic, I guess that the Tutsi vs Hutu conflict was also not along ethnic lines...
The 1994 conflict was not along "ethnic" lines but political, the US-backed RPF forces (and Rwandans who supported them) and French-backed government forces. The RPF had both Tutsi and Hutu so did the Interhamwe. You need to learn about African politics as it exists not as a construct of western political propaganda.
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
tangentiality - a mental condition in which one tends to digress from the topic under discussion, especially by word association.
anguishofbeing
Member # 16736

Rate Member
^ what do you call a negro who makes unfounded statements about African history?
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Bogle:
^ what do you call a negro who makes unfounded statements about African history?

I call him Bogle or Boggled...
Now, if you can't make a cogent statement relevant to the topic being discussed, please refrain from participating here...
You know...put up or shut up!
Topic: African Americans and Ancient Egyptians

anguishofbeing
Member # 16736

Rate Member
^ Hey, no need to be rude Wally; there's no shame in not knowing anything about the Garvey movement, Jamaican history or African politics. [Roll Eyes]
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
FROM THE NILE VALLEY THRU WEST AFRICA TO AMERICA

"OOH BABY, YOU WILL ALWAYS BE MY BOO (BOYFRIEND/GIRLFRIEND)"
LYRIC FROM "MY BOO"; PERFORMED BY USHER & BEYONCE
---
BOOBOO - COMMON NICKNAME IN THE AFRICAN AMERICAN COMMUNITY

BOO, BOOBOO
 -

"TIME AND TRUTH ARE INSEPARABLE" - KWAME NKRUMAH [Cool]

Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
So I thought BaBa was related to papa..how does one say father in Mdu-ntr?
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
quote:
So I thought BaBa was related to papa..how does one say father in Mdu-ntr?

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=006500
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Ok checked it out^ it's the same..thanks
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fahaka - silvery fish -<>- fahaka - silvery fish [Wink]
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
You should also note that in the above example, the Coptic equivalent is given:Boubou - thus we know how this word was pronounced; and definitely not 'Baba', which is, of course, written differently
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
• SAMBA (noun)

The noun SAMBA has 4 senses:
1. large west African tree having large palmately lobed leaves and axillary cymose panicles of small white flowers and one-winged seeds; yields soft white to pale yellow wood
2. music composed for dancing the samba
3. a lively ballroom dance from Brazil
4. a form of canasta using three decks of cards and six jokers

• SAMBA (verb)
The verb SAMBA has 1 sense:
1. dance the samba

Standard etymology:
Brazilian dance of African origin, 1885, Zemba, from Port. samba, shortened form of zambacueca, a type of dance, probably altered (by influence of zamacueco "stupid") from zambapalo, the name of a grotesque dance, itself an alteration of zampapalo "stupid man," from zamparse "to bump, crash."

...ANALYSIS APPEARS TO HAVE STOPPED A TAD SHORT BY STOPPING IN WEST AFRICA...

SAMBA

-

HMMMM, FIERY SOUL; WELL, YOU MAKE THE CALL...

Hint: Fiery -Tempestuous or emotionally volatile; Spirited or filled with emotion

Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Welly let me ask you Straight up...do you think that African languages are mis-classified? I mean what's being demonstrated here is two supposedly different language families carring the same words and same meaning for things,ie
Kemetic fahaka - silvery fish -<>-Yoruba fahaka - silvery fish . sorry if this question is kinda ot.

Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
quote:
Welly let me ask you stright up...do you think that African languages are mis-classified? I mean what's being demonstrated here is two supposedly different language families carring the same words and same meaning for things,ie
Kemetic fahaka - silvery fish -<>-Yoruba fahaka - silvery fish . sorry if this question is kinda ot.

...Not ot at all, and to answer you; yes, I have long insisted that African languages have been mis-classified. I belong to that group that are students of Professors Diop, Obenga,...Ones who are leading the way in dismantling the huge corpus of lies and misinformation designed to 'keep the Africans in their place'...
  This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  19  20  21   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com