This is topic E3a map in forum Egyptology at EgyptSearch Forums.

To visit this topic, use this URL:
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=005428

Posted by argiedude (Member # 13263) on :

This is all the E3a data I could find. It has been extremely interesting. Especially realizing the importance of E3a7, that was particularly good. Of course, if anyone has any info to add to this map, let me know. The final part, drawing the clines, was rather sloppy, but I think it's good overall. Let me know what you think!

-

Posted by rasol (Member # 4592) on :

Nice.

Posted by Nefar (Member # 13890) on :

I thought there was a high percentage of e3a in upper egypt.

Posted by Mystery Solver (Member # 9033) on :

^Yes, it doesn't account for E3a lineages in coastal northwest Africa, Egypt and Madagascar, for example.

Posted by alTakruri (Member # 10195) on :

I take it you, ArgieDude, generated the map?

Yes, I made the map myself. I didn't include northern Africa because it's clear it doesn't have a significant percentage of E3a, and I did the map to see exactly how frequent E3a is in the places where it's supposed to be very frequent. I wanted to see if there was some sort of pattern, something interesting that would appear. That's also why I didn't include Madagascar, it's E3a would simply reflect very recent population movements and not be able to tell much about how E3a originally diffused throughout Africa. I did get a couple of useful thoughts from doing the map.

1) I wasn't aware of just how common E3a7 is until I looked hard at the numbers to try and build the map. I always had the data, but I never really recognized it until I crunched the numbers. That really deserves another map all on its own, showing E3a* and E3a7 separately, and in fact, I think I'm going to do just that.

2) There is clearly a black hole of data in the middle of Africa: Angola/Congo/Zambia. But judging from neighboring values, you might guess that the average E3a value in this region will be somewhere between 70% and 80%. There is in fact an indirect way to calculate E3a in Angola/Congo. We know that slaves sent to the US were roughly split 60%/40% between West Africa and Central Africa (Angola/Congo). And we have good data on the y-dna of the black people of the US, and also of the y-dna of West Africa. So we can use that to deduce the likely y-dna percentage of Angola/Congo. I did that, and if I remember correctly, I got a value of about 80% (E3a in Central Africa).

3) The countries for which we are desperately needing y-dna data are: Sudan, Congo, Angola, Mozambique, Eritrea, Liberia.

Posted by One_and_Done (Member # 10712) on :

argiedude wrote:

quote:
We know that slaves sent to the US were roughly split 60%/40% between West Africa and Central Africa (Angola/Congo).
What about India?

Posted by Yonis (Member # 7684) on :

quote:
argiedude:
3) The countries for which we are desperately needing y-dna data are: Sudan, Congo, Angola, Mozambique, Eritrea, Liberia.

Eritrea won't differ that much from highland Ethiopians and eastern Sudan, i doubt there are any high frequencies of E3a in Eritrea since its inhabitated by only Nilosaharan, Semetic and Cushitic speakers.
So it wouldn't affect your map.

This is what really caught my attention, that E3a can be split into 2 groups with almost equal frequency, E3a*(xE3a7) and E3a7:
 -

How can this distribution be explained?

And on a related matter, I went to rootsweb and searched for E3a7 and found only 5 posts! Wow. E3a7 is likely around 20% of Africa y-dna. Kind of surprising.

quote:
Originally posted by argiedude:

Yes, I made the map myself. I didn't include northern Africa because it's clear it doesn't have a significant percentage of E3a, and I did the map to see exactly how frequent E3a is in the places where it's supposed to be very frequent. I wanted to see if there was some sort of pattern, something interesting that would appear. That's also why I didn't include Madagascar, it's E3a would simply reflect very recent population movements and not be able to tell much about how E3a originally diffused throughout Africa. I did get a couple of useful thoughts from doing the map.

E3a lineages in Madagascar reflect part of the African component in a population, where the African component is no less recent than the non-African component. The African component is no less significant either, and E3a appears to be quite substantial in this region. As for the issue of frequency distribution across the continent, well, the question put forth to potential readers, is what they thought about the map. As such, I'm of the opinion that, for the sake of precision, the presence of E3a across the continent is worth noting, whether it is sizeable or not in frequency.

Posted by AFRICA I (Member # 13222) on :

Nice try argiedude, it's the first I see live scientific bricolage on this forum, but it's always good to try..

-

Of note, in coastal northwest Africa, mainly Moroccan samples:

Bosch et al....

Haplogroups of supposed Paleolithic extraction:
[E-M78, E-M35, and E-M81] = 75%

Haplogroups of supposed Neolithic extraction:
[J2-M172 and F-M89] = 13%

Supposed “sub-Saharan” input:
[E-M2 (E3a) and E-M33 (E1)] = 8%

Haplogroups of “historic” European gene flow:
[R-M173, I1b2-M26, and I-M170] = 4%

^Details discussed: here

The point: There is no 'apartheid' genetic wall in the spread of E3a lineages to north Africa.

Posted by Djehuti (Member # 6698) on :

^ Is there not E3a present in the rest of Sudan, Chad, Niger, and Mauritania??

Posted by lamin (Member # 5777) on :

And on a related matter, I went to rootsweb and searched for E3a7 and found only 5 posts! Wow. E3a7 is likely around 20% of Africa y-dna. Kind of surprising.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This should not be really surprising given that humans have lived the longest in situ in Africa's environments among the world's populations then obviously there would be a multiplicity of lineages generated over time.

In fact the number of lineages in Africa should be at least equal to the combined number of lineages found elsewhere in the
world. The basis for this is that genomic mutations are assumed to occur at the same time intervals everywhere--on average.

I would like to see the map
1 - picture the entire continent, no endorsing the sub-Sahara/north Africa divide
2 - include continentwide values of the hg

-

argiedude wrote:

quote:
We know that slaves sent to the US were roughly split 60%/40% between West Africa and Central Africa (Angola/Congo).
Let me state that you brought up the above, not me or anyone else.

So now are you going to answer this question. What about India? Because there were Indians (from India) brought to America. As well as others. There is even a thread about it.

So how can there be this "60%/40% between West Africa and Central Africa (Angola/Congo)" ? Also while you're at it define what countries make up "West Africa".

Apparently you either don't know what you are talking about or you are a bald faced liar with a severe dogmatic psychosis.

Posted by Yom (Member # 11256) on :

quote:
Originally posted by One_and_Done:
argiedude wrote:

quote:
Let me state that you brought up the above, not me or anyone else.

So now are you going to answer this question. What about India? Because there were Indians (from India) brought to America. As well as others. There is even a thread about it.

So how can there be this "60%/40% between West Africa and Central Africa (Angola/Congo)" ? Also while you're at it define what countries make up "West Africa".

Apparently you either don't know what you are talking about or you are a bald faced liar with a severe dogmatic psychosis.

What's wrong with you? There's no reason to be aggressive. This unwarranted hostility is what's bringing this forum down in quality. His comments are perfectly reasonable. Are you going to object to the geographic divisions East, West, Central, and Southern Africa now, just because they are ill-defined? He's simply using it as a way to define two separate clusters of AA ancestry: the Guinean coast (Senegal to Nigeria) and the trade from Angola and Congo, which do represent distinct ancestries. Indian (as in from India) admixture in AAs is very minimal and not at issue here, since we're discussing E3a, which is prominent in Africans and rare in Indians.

Yom foraged:

quote:
What's wrong with you? There's no reason to be aggressive. This unwarranted hostility is what's bringing this forum down in quality. His comments are perfectly reasonable. Are you going to object to the geographic divisions East, West, Central, and Southern Africa now, just because they are ill-defined? He's simply using it as a way to define two separate clusters of AA ancestry: the Guinean coast (Senegal to Nigeria) and the trade from Angola and Congo, which do represent distinct ancestries. Indian (as in from India) admixture in AAs is very minimal and not at issue here, since we're discussing E3a, which is prominent in Africans and rare in Indians.

I'm not getting agressive. I asked the guy a simple question about the information that he placed in this post. It seems that you're the one getting all "bug-eyed" and aggresive here.

Do you not know how to add? What is 60% + 40%?

Do you now this basic calculation and what it means? Please don't tell me that the school systems in your country are that bad.

That is something that even the most low achieving student in middle school already knows.

60% from "West Africa", 40% from "Central Africa" = 100%. Meaning nobody else came from anyplace else.

Which is wrong because we know that people were brought over from India as well as other places.

So he's posting misinformation either on purpose because of some fantasy or some other form of psychotic dogma.

So word of advice

Or he can't even do basic research which therefore is the reason for him posting imbecilic opinions.

And as far as all of this Indian admixture is concerned I take what you say with a grain pepper seing as that is nothing more than your opinion. As far as I'm concerned I don't know who mixed with who and that is quantified as to if there was ever any admixture.

quote:
 -

So does this mean it is unkown if E3a is found in countries like Chad, Niger, and Mauritania?? I thought it was even present in Egypt?!

quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
quote:

So does this mean it is unkown if E3a is found in countries like Chad, Niger, and Mauritania?? I thought it was even present in Egypt?!
I didn't find any references to y-dna studies for those 3 countries you mentioned, but at the same time, even if I had info for them, their populations are heavily concentrated in the south of their states, so that big blank spot in the Sahara region wouldn't change much.

E3a is present in Egypt! I put it down. It's 2 percent. Look. They actually found E3a in 2 different studies, the single number I put in the map is the average of both. If I remember correctly, one of the samples was from the Alexandria region, and I think it was the bigger sample. The other I don't remember/don't know. So I decided to place the number in the northern part of Egypt. I would really like to see how E3a differs throughout Egypt. And for the entire Nile. Boy, do we ever need y-dna studies from Sudan, I can't believe how little studied that country is, and it's such a significant country historically.

Yemen is another country for which we desperately need y-dna info. I'm pretty sure there was an mtdna study recently, and its results were extremely interesting.

quote:
Originally posted by One_and_Done:
Yom foraged:

And you call me aggressive? Do you even know the meaning of that word? Colorless green ideas sleep furiously!

quote:
I'm not getting agressive. I asked the guy a simple question about the information that he placed in this post. It seems that you're the one getting all "bug-eyed" and aggresive here.

Do you not know how to add? What is 60% + 40%?

Do you now this basic calculation and what it means? Please don't tell me that the school systems in your country are that bad.

That is something that even the most low achieving student in middle school already knows.

60% from "West Africa", 40% from "Central Africa" = 100%. Meaning nobody else came from anyplace else.

Which is wrong because we know that people were brought over from India as well as other places.

So he's posting misinformation either on purpose because of some fantasy or some other form of psychotic dogma.

No, you are the idiot here. First of all, you don't know where I was educated. Secondly, 40% and 60% are both approximations corresponding to African contributions to the AA genepool. Obviously some 17% is Caucasian that wasn't originally present, and maybe 1% is Native American that wasn't found in the first enslaved Africans in North America. You can still take those non-African influences into account, and look at the breakdown between E3a7 and E3a*(xE3a7) to get an approximation or vague idea of its frequency in Central Africa, since you know it's about 2:1 (of E3a lineages, of course) in West Africa. Unfortunately, West Africa isn't homogenous and Senegal is an extreme case, as well as a point of departure for many slaves (less so a point of origin but that too), so the formulated picture is very rough.

quote:

And as far as all of this Indian admixture is concerned I take what you say with a grain pepper seing as that is nothing more than your opinion. As far as I'm concerned I don't know who mixed with who and that is quantified as to if there was ever any admixture.

You made the claim, back it up. I have studies on the composition of African Americans, and not a one mentions Indian admixture from India. That's not to say that Indians never mixed with African Americans, but they didn't do so often enough and in large enough numbers to significantly impact their gene pool.

There was a slight error with the first map, I misplaced a digit in Portugal and noted its E3a value as 2%, when it should be 0.2%. This is the corrected version:

-

Thank you thank you thank you!

With co-operation between colleagues (no matter how
much we may come to disagree) we forge ahead to the
point of producing a hardcopy edition of the most stellar
issues and contributions found only here at ES AE&E forum.

C'mon Ausar, time keeps on ticking into the
future and we need an editor for the book!

Posted by Nefar (Member # 13890) on :

is e3a indigenous to upper egypt?

Probably not, given that it's not present in N. Sudan. IIRC, it's present at 8% in Upper Egypt. It is common among Siwis (Siwa Berbers), though, along with E3, E2, E1, etc. E3b is actually not commonly found in them.

Posted by Yonis (Member # 7684) on :

So siwa berbers have not much E3b as their brethrens in northwest? Weird. Btw whats the Y lineage distribution among northern sudanese, you have any approximation, Yom?

quote:
Originally posted by Yom:
Probably not, given that it's not present in N. Sudan. IIRC, it's present at 8% in Upper Egypt. It is common among Siwis (Siwa Berbers), though, along with E3, E2, E1, etc. E3b is actually not commonly found in them.

What studies are you deriving this information from?

quote:
Originally posted by Yom:
it's not present in N. Sudan. IIRC, it's present at 8% in Upper Egypt. It is common among Siwis (Siwa Berbers), though

I could really use that information (north Sudan, south Egypt and Siwas) to better this map. If you can remember where it's from, I'd be very thankful.

I wrote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yom foraged:
quote:
You made the claim, back it up. I have studies on the composition of African Americans, and not a one mentions Indian admixture from India. That's not to say that Indians never mixed with African Americans, but they didn't do so often enough and in large enough numbers to significantly impact their gene pool.

Do you see a claim here other than I don't know who mixed with who if it even occured?

Are you that dense? If it is even possible, open your eyes wider so that when you read you may be able to comprehend what is written. And for your information the Indians are the ones who let the cat out of the bag, not whites.

Indians being brought over here moots their caucasoid B.S.. If Indians and Turks were brought over, who wouldn't be brought over? Moroccans? Hence for all intent and purposes they lied about who was brought over here. Probably in order to keep their claim on any historical accomplishments belonging to Caucasians which they surprise, surprise think they belong to. Its easier to make the caucasoid ruse work if they keep up the illusion that they have been friendly to other so called caucasoids.

It also fouls up their little racial hierarchy fantasy. That's why African Americans "have" to be mixed in order to keep them from assoicating with places where they don't want African Americans to associate. For example Morocco in North Africa.

It's absolutely laughable that these fools think that they are responsible for African Americans looking like the various peoples of Africa. Africans from North, West, East, Central, and Southern Africa have told some AA's that they remind them of someone in their own ethnic group. And you have white crackpots who don't age well, have the thickest, baggiest skin that feels like sandpaper. Who are slovenly and ugly thinking that "they", not Africans are the ones who can create people who resemble Africans.

Also don't throw around a bunch of numbers like your the one in a lab somewhere doing research. Because you're not and you never will.

I'm not you. I'm not bootlicking what some white scientists or their lackey "my job or else" accomplices purportedly say or purportedly experimented on.

Clowns that go around saying that African but pygmies are mixed. Clowns that go around saying that indigenous Africans never crossed the sahara. Europeans are pure, Africans are mixed. These fools lie constantly on the above what else won't they lie about?

Plus all of the okie dope scams that have been exposed with their testings and studies in various fields. All of the other tired run down schemes that only low brow dumb dumbs repeat as if they are without ill intent.

Posted by Miguel Antunes (Member # 13983) on :

There are no such clowns here for the most part, quite the contrary, so what are you talking about?

A lot of times these population genetics studies are misread by lay individuals, thinking that the percentages imply entire populations; quite the contrary, the percentages are reflective of the frequency of lineages in a given sample of a given sample-size [of given demographic representation(s)], and hence, the hodge podge of numbers provided on the intro-map. Where broader populations are concerned, interpretation of genetic studies are given weight by repeat results of findings in discrete samples of various sizes and demographs conducted at various times. It relies on probability and statistics for meaningful extrapolation on population bio-histories.

Miguel Antunes wrote:

quote:
There are no such clowns here for the most part, quite the contrary, so what are you talking about?
The scientists.........Okay, got it now?

-

Update after a couple of new E3a data came out in the last few months.

2 E3a samples (same haplotype) out of 194 samples were found in the Italian Tyrol Alps (German speaking region bordering with Austria).

The very recent study about y-dna in Oman, Qatar, and U.A.E.

Posted by reserved (Member # 14062) on :

You people have way to much time on your hands. What the **** is an E3a?

Posted by xyyman (Member # 13597) on :

Here is another fuhl?
quote:
Originally posted by reserved:

BTW -

the E3a in Italy/Germany. Are you implying it is ancient? or the new trend? Having been to Germany several times in the last five years. Seem like the African bros are a hot commodity. That's why I am asking.

Posted by osiriun (Member # 14297) on :

quote:
 -

2 E3a samples (same haplotype) out of 194 samples were found in the Italian Tyrol Alps (German speaking region bordering with Austria).

Am I reading this map correctly? Is ther 9% E3a in Palestine? If so, is there a historical explaination for this Sub-Saharan gene in Israel? We are cetainly not talking Natufian era.

Posted by reserved (Member # 14062) on :

quote:
Originally posted by xyyman:
Here is another fuhl?
quote:

BTW -

the E3a in Italy/Germany. Are you implying it is ancient? or the new trend? Having been to Germany several times in the last five years. Seem like the African bros are a hot commodity. That's why I am asking.

I don't have no clue what you're talking about. I take it an E3a is an African? What is the origin of the word?

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by xyyman:
Here is another fuhl?
quote:

BTW -

I don't have no clue what you're talking about. I take it an E3a is an African? What is the origin of the word?
Though not entirely accurate and perhaps a bit misleading but this URL should help you understand what this thread is about:

https://www3.nationalgeographic.com/genographic/

E3a has an interesting history. Though it certainly left the Nile Valley well before the Dynastic period, it is indeed an indication of the close relatedness of West Africans and North East Africans (as well a Greeks and North West Africans though more remotely).

quote:
Originally posted by osiriun:
quote:
 -

Am I reading this map correctly? Is ther 9% E3a in Palestine? If so, is there a historical explaination for this Sub-Saharan gene in Israel? We are cetainly not talking Natufian era.
Maybe, the slave trade sounds like a more reasonable explanation for most of it, though. There are still "Black Palestinians" living in Palestine whose ancestors have been there for centuries.

quote:

Though not entirely accurate and perhaps a bit misleading but this URL should help you understand what this thread is about:

https://www3.nationalgeographic.com/genographic/

E3a has an interesting history. Though it certainly left the Nile Valley well before the Dynastic period,

Very probable, after all this lineage wasn't born yesterday, nor were its bearers ever immobile as far as I know.

Just judging from whitedude's mapping:

Slave trade? Preposterous!

9% in Israel/Palestine but
not exceeding 3% in Arabia
or 5% in Morocco?

Highly unlikely.

As far as "black Palestinians,"
they were proceeded by other
presumed blacks; Natufians and
Canaanites and Phillistines and
Judahites (the last three also
having non-black elements too).

Nor is the "blackness" of any of
these Levantines synonymous with
E3a.

Regarding the percentages for the Middle East, I think it was 9% for Palestinians, 0% for Jordan, 0% for Lebanon, and 5% for Syria.

The high value for Oman (7%) seems to have been indirectly verified by this new finding that 5% of U.A.E. samples were E3a. But if we were to presume a slave origin for this E3a, we have a problem. From historical analysis, it seems half of the slaves sent to this place came from Sudan/Ethiopia, with almost no E3a, and the other half from Kenya, Tanzania, and the Great Lakes region, with about 50% E3a. So this would require that 25% of the male ancestors of Oman and U.A.E. were black slaves, in order for the modern population to have 6% E3a. But the black female ancestry is lower than that: mtdna L amongst Arabs is much less than 25%, reaching maybe 15% at the most (in Yemen?). So in order for the E3a in Oman/U.A.E. to be of slave origin the people of Oman and U.A.E. would have to have more black male slave ancestors than black female slave ancestors, which of course goes against all logic.

9% amongst Palestinians is very interesting. It would be interesting to see how E3b fits into this picture to get a better understanding of the African heritage of Eurasian people (post Neolithic).

Could the Natufians have been carriers of E3a? I don't think so considering they presumably are the the bearers of E3b as the first Farmers into Neolithic Greece.

E3a in Palestine? Intriguing since Jewish people have little trace of this and only E3b is somewhat common.

Posted by Clyde Winters (Member # 10129) on :

Yom
quote:

Maybe, the slave trade sounds like a more reasonable explanation for most of it, though. There are still "Black Palestinians" living in Palestine whose ancestors have been there for centuries.

Many Black Palestinians result from the fact that West Africans after making the hajj to Mecca, made pilgrimage to sites in Jerusalem relating to Muhammad and Islam. These hajis remained in Palestine and represent some of the Black Palestinians.

This notion that E3a lineages outside of Africa equates to "E3a=Slavery" is essentially intellectual bankruptcy. This is what some dogmatic characters do even with certain mtDNA lineages, especially when it is predominantly found in West and Central Africa - attribute it to slavery. Take L1b [predominantly detected in West Africa] for instance, which shatters such dogma-infested rationale:

Mitochondrial DNA sequences and restriction fragment polymorphisms were retrieved from three Islamic 12th-13th century samples of 71 bones and teeth (with >85% efficiency) from Madinat Baguh (today called Priego de Cordoba, Spain). Compared with 108 saliva samples from the present population of the same area, the medieval samples show a higher proportion of sub-Saharan African lineages that can only partially be attributed to the historic Muslim occupation. In fact, the unique sharing of transition 16175, in L1b lineages, with Europeans, instead of Africans, suggests a more ancient arrival to Europe from Africa - Casas et al.

On the same token, had HbS not been detected in Old Kingdom royal mummies, there will be clearly dogmatic personalities out there trumpeting the idea that it spread much more recently through slave trade. Even today, the HbS type found in Egypt, is of the Benin haplotype, which would have likely originated in populations now living in around Niger River Valley regions. Could the sickle cell trait have arrived in the Nile Valley some time before the Dynastic period? The indicators suggest so, and it could have arrived with populations emanating from the Saharan belt, which is another primary source for proto/pre-dynastic natives. E3a which is undoubtedly found in Egypt, including the lower Egypt, could have been amongst the various lineages that made their way into the region at various points in time. The African Horn has historically been an avenue for bringing slaves into parts of the so-called "SW Asia", and yet for the most part, little E3a is detected here; what notable detection is found here, is largely concentrated in the southern limits of the region.

Posted by Neith-Athena (Member # 10040) on :

quote:
Originally posted by alTakruri:
Just judging from whitedude's mapping:

Slave trade? Preposterous!

9% in Israel/Palestine but
not exceeding 3% in Arabia
or 5% in Morocco?

Highly unlikely.

As far as "black Palestinians,"
they were proceeded by other
presumed blacks; Natufians and
Canaanites and Phillistines and
Judahites (the last three also
having non-black elements too).

Nor is the "blackness" of any of
these Levantines synonymous with
E3a.

With what would the blackness of Levantine populations be synonymous? Do you know at what period the Natufians left Africa and went into the Levant?

^ The name 'Natufian' is an archaeological label applied to the cultural and human remains in situ the Levant during Mesolithic times around 10,000 B.C. Their ancestors were probably the 'Mushabians' who inhabited Sinai and Lower Egypt before that.

As to if the Natufians account for the 'blackness' of Levantines, that may well be part of the reason. But I have also heard of other more recent migrations from Africa if not black populations from Arabia and other parts of Asia.

Ask Takruri, since he is more familiar with Levantine population history. In fact I have similar questions myself that I have been meaning to ask him about.

quote:
But the black female ancestry is lower than that: mtdna L amongst Arabs is much less than 25%, reaching maybe 15% at the most (in Yemen?).

I was wrong, mtdna L in Yemen is actually 47% (from a sample of 115).

quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Solver:
This notion that E3a lineages outside of Africa equates to "E3a=Slavery" is essentially intellectual bankruptcy. This is what some dogmatic characters do even with certain mtDNA lineages, especially when it is predominantly found in West and Central Africa - attribute it to slavery. Take L1b [predominantly detected in West Africa] for instance, which shatters such dogma-infested rationale:

Mitochondrial DNA sequences and restriction fragment polymorphisms were retrieved from three Islamic 12th-13th century samples of 71 bones and teeth (with >85% efficiency) from Madinat Baguh (today called Priego de Cordoba, Spain). Compared with 108 saliva samples from the present population of the same area, the medieval samples show a higher proportion of sub-Saharan African lineages that can only partially be attributed to the historic Muslim occupation. In fact, the unique sharing of transition 16175, in L1b lineages, with Europeans, instead of Africans, suggests a more ancient arrival to Europe from Africa - Casas et al.

On the same token, had HbS not been detected in Old Kingdom royal mummies, there will be clearly dogmatic personalities out there trumpeting the idea that it spread much more recently through slave trade. Even today, the HbS type found in Egypt, is of the Benin haplotype, which would have likely originated in populations now living in around Niger River Valley regions. Could the sickle cell trait have arrived in the Nile Valley some time before the Dynastic period? The indicators suggest so, and it could have arrived with populations emanating from the Saharan belt, which is another primary source for proto/pre-dynastic natives. E3a which is undoubtedly found in Egypt, including the lower Egypt, could have been amongst the various lineages that made their way into the region at various points in time. The African Horn has historically been an avenue for bringing slaves into parts of the so-called "SW Asia", and yet for the most part, little E3a is detected here; what notable detection is found here, is largely concentrated in the southern limits of the region.

I have actually heard arguments that sickle cell anemia is not of African origins.

^HbS in Egypt is of what non-African derivative? In fact, give me a list of HbS on either side of the Mediterranean sea, that is not of the African derivative.

quote:
^HbS in Egypt is of what non-African derivative? In fact, give me a list of HbS on either side of the Mediterranean sea, that is not of the African derivative.

Here you go - supposedly 4 independent forms of Sickle cell anemia (3 in African and 1 in Arabia). Sicle cell anemia might not be the best approach to tracing recent African migrations. E3b and E3a seems to be far less controversial.

Desai, D. V.; Hiren Dhanani (2004). "Sickle Cell Disease: History And Origin". The Internet Journal of Hematology 1 (2). ISSN 1540-2649

quote:

quote:

Here you go - supposedly 4 independent forms of Sickle cell anemia (3 in African and 1 in Arabia). Sicle cell anemia might not be the best approach to tracing recent African migrations. E3b and E3a seems to be far less controversial.

Desai, D. V.; Hiren Dhanani (2004). "Sickle Cell Disease: History And Origin". The Internet Journal of Hematology 1 (2). ISSN 1540-2649 [/QB]

You must not have read the questions, and so, I repeat:

1) ^HbS in Egypt is of what non-African derivative?

2)In fact, give me a list of HbS on either side of the Mediterranean sea, that is not of the African derivative.

Do you think Arabia borders the Mediterranean sea?

Essentially what is on either side of the Mediterranean sea may not be of African origin.

quote:

Essentially what is on either side of the Mediterranean sea may not be of African origin.

Well then, what is stopping you from producing the requested list, as well as HbS chromosomes found in Egypt?

In the meantime, as we let Osiriun collect his thoughts, here is some trivia that some of us have become all too familiar with:

Haplotypes of the beta-globin gene as prognostic factors in sickle-cell disease.

el-Hazmi MA, Warsy AS, Bashir N, Beshlawi A, Hussain IR, Temtamy S, Qubaili F.

Medical Biochemistry Department, World Health Organization Collaborating Centre for Haemoglobinopathies, Thalassaemias and Enzymopathies, College of Medicine, King Khalid University Hospital, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.

"We collaborated with researchers from Egypt, Syrian Arab Republic and Jordan in a study of patients with sickle-cell disease from those countries, and from various parts of Saudi Arabia, in order to investigate the influence of genetics on the clinical presentation of the disease, and to attempt to determine the **origin** of the sickle-cell gene in Arabs. Our results suggest that beta-globin gene haplotypes influence the clinical presentation of sickle-cell disease, and that there are at least two major foci for the origin of the sickle-cell gene, one in the eastern part of Saudi Arabia, and the other in the populations of North Africa and the north-western part of the Arabian peninsula…The Benin haplotype was found in patients with severe disease, either as homozygous or in combination with another haplotype. The majority of Syrians and Jordanians had the Benin haplotype, and severe disease. However, one in three Syrians and one in five Jordanians had a milder disease, and the Saudi-Indian haplotype was identified. All Saudi patients from south-western and north-western areas, where the disease is generally severe, had the Benin haplotype in the homozygous or heterozygous state. Of the Saudi patients from the eastern area, where a mild form of SCD exists, only 9% had the Benin haplotype. The remainder had the Saudi-Indian haplotype, either in its homozygous or heterozygous state…Restriction endonuclease restriction sites have provided a useful insight into the normal polymorphic variations in the DNA surrounding various gene loci, where a combination of two or more polymorphic sites has led to the identification of specific haplotype patterns [13,14]. This has been of significance in the study of the regions surrounding the b-globin gene (i.e. the b-globin gene cluster), where several polymorphic sites have been identified, and population differences have been found on analysis of the haplotype pattern [9]. An interesting observation is that the sickle-cell mutation has occurred on chromosomes carrying different polymorphic sites and different b-globin gene haplotypes, and this seems to play a role in the clinical expression of SCD [9].
We compared the haplotype pattern of SCD patients from different Arabic-speaking countries. Benin haplotype was the major haplotype in all countries with a severe presentation of SCD and it was present in both the homozygous and heterozygous state. This was true for those SCD patients from south-western and north-western areas of Saudi Arabia, and for those from Egypt, Jordan and Syrian Arab Republic. On the other hand, patients from the eastern part of Saudi Arabia, who present with a significantly milder clinical picture, carried the Saudi-Indian b-globin gene haplotype either in its homozygous or heterozygous state."

Source: East Mediterr Health J. 1999 Nov;5(6):1154-8 http://www.emro.who.int/Publications/EMHJ/0506/10.htm

Article was also discussed here: http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=001404#000000

It is of no coincidence that the other African haplotypes outside of the Benin haplotype, have found their way into the Americas, regions that have been affected by the historic slave trade:

From these original foci of the HbS mutation, the gene spread along trading routes to North Africa and the Mediterranean, was transported in large populations to North and South America and the Caribbean during the slave trade, and latterly has spread to Northern Europe by immigration from the Caribbean, directly from Africa to the United Kingdom, France, Belgium, and Holland, and from Turkey to Germany. The relative prevalence of these haplotypes in the Americas reflects the different origins of their African peoples, approximately 70% of HbS associated chromosomes having the Benin haplotype, 10% Senegal and 10% Bantu. Haplotype frequencies in Jamaica are similar to the USA but the Bantu haplotype accounts for the majority of HbS associated chromosomes in Brazil.9 - Graham R. Serjeant, MD, FRCP, MRC Laboratories (Jamaica), University of the West Indies, Kingston.

...in contrast to...

The Benin haplotype accounts for HbS associated chromosomes in Sicily,4 Northern Greece,10 Southern Turkey,11 and South West Saudi Arabia,6,7 suggesting that these genes had their origin in West Africa. The Asian haplotype is rarely encountered outside its geographic origin because there have been few large population movements and Indian emigrants have been predominantly from non HbS containing populations. However, it is of interest that the Asian haplotype was first described among descendants of Indian indentured laborers in Jamaica.12 - Graham R. Serjeant, MD, FRCP, MRC Laboratories (Jamaica), University of the West Indies, Kingston.

^If this sounds familiar, it's because it has been posted here: http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=005240#000021

quote:

Here you go - supposedly 4 independent forms of Sickle cell anemia (3 in African and 1 in Arabia).

Correct. 3 of the 4 sickle cell forms are of African origin with only the Arab-Indian form being the only Eurasian one.

-

As you can see from the map above, the form found in the Mediterranean is Benin HBS and NOT of the Eurasian variety. Analysis show that it first entered Europe during pharaonic times or earlier (Neolithic).

There are at least four distinct African and one Asian chromosomal backgrounds (haplotypes) on which the sickle cell mutation has arisen. Additionally, previous data suggest that the beta(S)/Bantu haplotype is heterogeneous at the molecular level. Here, we report the presence of the (A)gamma -499 T-->A variation in sickle cell anemia chromosomes of Sicilian and North African origin bearing the beta(S)/Benin haplotype....

the Benin haplotype accounts for HbS associated chromosomes in Sicily, Northern Greece, Southern Turkey, and South West Saudi Arabia, indicating that these genes had their origin in West Africa. - Graham R. Serjeant, MD, FRCP

quote:
..Sickle cell anemia might not be the best approach to tracing recent African migrations. E3b and E3a seems to be far less controversial.
Actually, analysis of sickle cell is just as valid as analysis of Y-chromosomes-- all are genetic studies.

quote:
In the meantime, as we let Osiriun collect his thoughts, here is some trivia that some of us have become all too familiar with:

Haplotypes of the beta-globin gene as prognostic factors in sickle-cell disease.

el-Hazmi MA, Warsy AS, Bashir N, Beshlawi A, Hussain IR, Temtamy S, Qubaili F.

Medical Biochemistry Department, World Health Organization Collaborating Centre for Haemoglobinopathies, Thalassaemias and Enzymopathies, College of Medicine, King Khalid University Hospital, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.

"We collaborated with researchers from Egypt, Syrian Arab Republic and Jordan in a study of patients with sickle-cell disease from those countries, and from various parts of Saudi Arabia, in order to investigate the influence of genetics on the clinical presentation of the disease, and to attempt to determine the **origin** of the sickle-cell gene in Arabs. Our results suggest that beta-globin gene haplotypes influence the clinical presentation of sickle-cell disease, and that there are at least two major foci for the origin of the sickle-cell gene, one in the eastern part of Saudi Arabia, and the other in the populations of North Africa and the north-western part of the Arabian peninsula…The Benin haplotype was found in patients with severe disease, either as homozygous or in combination with another haplotype. The majority of Syrians and Jordanians had the Benin haplotype, and severe disease. However, one in three Syrians and one in five Jordanians had a milder disease, and the Saudi-Indian haplotype was identified. All Saudi patients from south-western and north-western areas, where the disease is generally severe, had the Benin haplotype in the homozygous or heterozygous state. Of the Saudi patients from the eastern area, where a mild form of SCD exists, only 9% had the Benin haplotype. The remainder had the Saudi-Indian haplotype, either in its homozygous or heterozygous state…Restriction endonuclease restriction sites have provided a useful insight into the normal polymorphic variations in the DNA surrounding various gene loci, where a combination of two or more polymorphic sites has led to the identification of specific haplotype patterns [13,14]. This has been of significance in the study of the regions surrounding the b-globin gene (i.e. the b-globin gene cluster), where several polymorphic sites have been identified, and population differences have been found on analysis of the haplotype pattern [9]. An interesting observation is that the sickle-cell mutation has occurred on chromosomes carrying different polymorphic sites and different b-globin gene haplotypes, and this seems to play a role in the clinical expression of SCD [9].
We compared the haplotype pattern of SCD patients from different Arabic-speaking countries. Benin haplotype was the major haplotype in all countries with a severe presentation of SCD and it was present in both the homozygous and heterozygous state. This was true for those SCD patients from south-western and north-western areas of Saudi Arabia, and for those from Egypt, Jordan and Syrian Arab Republic. On the other hand, patients from the eastern part of Saudi Arabia, who present with a significantly milder clinical picture, carried the Saudi-Indian b-globin gene haplotype either in its homozygous or heterozygous state."

Source: East Mediterr Health J. 1999 Nov;5(6):1154-8 http://www.emro.who.int/Publications/EMHJ/0506/10.htm

Article was also discussed here: http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=001404#000000

It is of no coincidence that the other African haplotypes outside of the Benin haplotype, have found their way into the Americas, regions that have been affected by the historic slave trade:

From these original foci of the HbS mutation, the gene spread along trading routes to North Africa and the Mediterranean, was transported in large populations to North and South America and the Caribbean during the slave trade, and latterly has spread to Northern Europe by immigration from the Caribbean, directly from Africa to the United Kingdom, France, Belgium, and Holland, and from Turkey to Germany. The relative prevalence of these haplotypes in the Americas reflects the different origins of their African peoples, approximately 70% of HbS associated chromosomes having the Benin haplotype, 10% Senegal and 10% Bantu. Haplotype frequencies in Jamaica are similar to the USA but the Bantu haplotype accounts for the majority of HbS associated chromosomes in Brazil.9 - Graham R. Serjeant, MD, FRCP, MRC Laboratories (Jamaica), University of the West Indies, Kingston.

...in contrast to...

The Benin haplotype accounts for HbS associated chromosomes in Sicily,4 Northern Greece,10 Southern Turkey,11 and South West Saudi Arabia,6,7 suggesting that these genes had their origin in West Africa. The Asian haplotype is rarely encountered outside its geographic origin because there have been few large population movements and Indian emigrants have been predominantly from non HbS containing populations. However, it is of interest that the Asian haplotype was first described among descendants of Indian indentured laborers in Jamaica.12 - Graham R. Serjeant, MD, FRCP, MRC Laboratories (Jamaica), University of the West Indies, Kingston.

^If this sounds familiar, it's because it has been posted here: http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=005240#000021

Thanks you for providing you own information and answering you own question. Wheww.

The majority of Syrians and Jordanians had the Benin haplotype, and severe disease. However, one in three Syrians and one in five Jordanians had a milder disease, and the Saudi-Indian haplotype was identified.

quote:
quote:

Here you go - supposedly 4 independent forms of Sickle cell anemia (3 in African and 1 in Arabia).

Correct. 3 of the 4 sickle cell forms are of African origin with only the Arab-Indian form being the only Eurasian one.

-

As you can see from the map above, the form found in the Mediterranean is Benin HBS and NOT of the Eurasian variety. Analysis show that it first entered Europe during pharaonic times or earlier (Neolithic).

There are at least four distinct African and one Asian chromosomal backgrounds (haplotypes) on which the sickle cell mutation has arisen. Additionally, previous data suggest that the beta(S)/Bantu haplotype is heterogeneous at the molecular level. Here, we report the presence of the (A)gamma -499 T-->A variation in sickle cell anemia chromosomes of Sicilian and North African origin bearing the beta(S)/Benin haplotype....

the Benin haplotype accounts for HbS associated chromosomes in Sicily, Northern Greece, Southern Turkey, and South West Saudi Arabia, indicating that these genes had their origin in West Africa. - Graham R. Serjeant, MD, FRCP

quote:
..Sickle cell anemia might not be the best approach to tracing recent African migrations. E3b and E3a seems to be far less controversial.
Actually, analysis of sickle cell is just as valid as analysis of Y-chromosomes-- all are genetic studies.

Can we tell when it was introduced based on a mutation rate analysis? The map you provide seems to not answer my question. E3a is present at 9% in Palestine but where's the HbS? Also, seems that this simply jumped right past East Africa?

How recent is HbS anyways?

quote:

Can we tell when it was introduced based on a mutation rate analysis?

I would assume this is the case since geneticists have estimated the time period it was introduced to Europe.

quote:
The map you provide seems to not answer my question. E3a is present at 9% in Palestine but where's the HbS? Also, seems that this simply jumped right past East Africa?
E3a is a Y-chromosomal haplotype. HbS is a sicklecell haplotype. Just because someone has E3a lineage, doesn't mean he carries Hbs! The map presented only shows the distribution of the sicklecell haplotypes. Benin HbS originated around Benin but expanded in the Sahara from which it diffused to other parts of North Africa and eventually made its way across the Mediterranean. This is even confirmed by its presence in predynastic Egyptian mummies! Which is not surprising considering that much of predynatic Egypt's population and culture come from the Sahara.

quote:
How recent is HbS anyways?
recent where? Ask Mystery or Rasol, or better yet do research on your own.

Posted by Mackandal (Member # 10328) on :

argiedude, here is a much better map of E3a distribution from a published study:

-

BMC Evol Biol. 2007; 7: 124.

^ But is not E3a also found among the Lower Nile Valley populations of Sudan and Egypt?

Posted by Charlie Bass (Member # 10328) on :

quote:
^ But is not E3a also found among the Lower Nile Valley populations of Sudan and Egypt?

Yes, but in extremely low frequencies.

^ Woe Charlie! I haven't seen you in a while.

I was mackandal, just changed back to my old name

^ Why the sneakiness? [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by Mackandal:
argiedude, here is a much better map of E3a distribution from a published study

I disagree, my map is clearly more detailed and with 10 times as much data as that one, plus it spans all of west Asia. Don't let those lines on the map you posted confuse you, that map was generated with only 10 or 12 data points, you can even distinguish them on the map, while I made mine with 100+ sampled populations. Many of the numbers on my map are the average of 2, 3 or 5 sampled populations that were near to each other.

Posted by Evergreen (Member # 12192) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Charlie Bass:
quote:

Evergreen Writes:

What study are you using as a basis to this claim?

quote:
Originally posted by Evergreen:
quote:
quote:

Evergreen Writes:

On a number of studies, not just one. Some people are confusing haplotype IV with E3a which might be the problem.

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Evergreen Writes:

On a number of studies, not just one. Some people are confusing haplotype IV with E3a which might be the problem.
Evergreen Writes:

Can you give us a few refernces to the studies that support extremely low frequencies of E3a in southern Egypt and Sudan.

quote:

Thanks you for providing you own information and answering you own question. Wheww.

And I hope you've learnt from it.

quote:

The majority of Syrians and Jordanians had the Benin haplotype, and severe disease. However, one in three Syrians and one in five Jordanians had a milder disease, and the Saudi-Indian haplotype was identified.

Trivial. The fact of the matter is that the Asian haplotype is almost nearly exclusively restricted to south Asia [Indian Subcontinent] and eastern Arabia. No doubt the very *little* detection in Syria or Jordan, are the result of movements from Arabia. The more important point that you should have taken away from my posts, is that either side of the Mediterranean is in the main, affected by the African derivative called the Benin haplotype. The Benin haplotype 'distribution patterns' and variants belies the accounting of it in these regions by slavery. And even more importantly, in my posts, is the fact that the only type that occurs in both Egypt and Europe, is this derivative, the African derivative.

quote:

quote:

quote:

^ But is not E3a also found among the Lower Nile Valley populations of Sudan and Egypt? [/qb]

Evergreen Writes:

^A necessary question. Other studies like the following [a recap btw], have suggested otherwise, if we are to acknowledge IV as the haplotype associated with the M2 mutation:

Of note are the frequencies of the aforementioned haplotypes; V, XI, and IV:

Lower Egypt (n=162); V=51.9%, XI=11.7%, and IV=1.2%.

Upper Egypt (n=66); V=24.2%, XI=28.8%, and IV=27.3%.

Lower Nubia (n=46); V=17.4%, XI=30.4%, and IV=39.1%.

The primary haplotypes found in Europe, XII and XV, according to Keita, could have likely entered into the country via Greco-Roman invasions, are found in Lower Egypt at 3.7% and 6.8% respectively. Not surprising, the frequencies of these two are lower in Upper egypt, with XII not represented, while XV is at 6.1%. They are absent in Lower Nubia. These results are according to Lucotte and Mercier's findings, 2003

Details discussed here: http://thenile.phpbb-host.com/phpbb/ftopic152-15.php

quote:

quote:

Trivial. The fact of the matter is that the Asian haplotype is almost nearly exclusively restricted to south Asia [Indian Subcontinent] and eastern Arabia. No doubt the very *little* detection in Syria or Jordan, are the result of movements from Arabia. The more important point that you should have taken away from my posts, is that either side of the Mediterranean is in the main, affected by the African derivative called the Benin haplotype. The Benin haplotype 'distribution patterns' and variants belies the accounting of it in these regions by slavery. And even more importantly, in my posts, is the fact that the only type that occurs in both Egypt and Europe, is this derivative, the African derivative.
This brings me back to my initial point which you're trying to moot.

*The African Horn had been a post were slaves were taken to parts of the so-called "SW Asia", yet...

- little detection of E3a lineages in the region for the most part.

- no detection of HbS, whether it is of the Bantu type, Senegalese or Benin type.

*In the Nile Valley on the other hand, E3a lineages have been notable mainly in Upper Egypt and northern Sudan, but has also been detected in lower Egypt.

- HbS is well noted in Egypt, and we know that its presence there predates the slave trade involving Africans into the "Near East".

*The Benin haplotype has its more than likely origins in the populations that settled in and around the Niger River Valley, whose ancestors likely moved in from eastern Sahara before heading onto the western and central areas of the Sahara.

- E3a is very frequent in these populations.

- Hence, that E3a in the Nile Valley could be explained more readily by movement of people from the Sahara in the proto-dynastic times, though not necessarily 'exclusively', is not by any means out of the question or a stretch of the imagination.

And oh btw, yes HbS is obviously not E3a, and hence no substitute [and vice versa]; any remote association between their distributions can only be done by what is known as *correlating* certain well known information with one another.

Only if haplotype IV is truly E3a could we say E3a is found in Upper Egypt/Northern Sudan,. I'm careful because of the problem we have had with haplotype V in Ethiopia. Haplotype V was supposed to be very high in Ethiopia yet E-M81 isn't.

quote:

Only if haplotype IV is truly E3a could we say E3a is found in Upper Egypt/Northern Sudan.

No reason not to take IV in the African context as being associated with E3a chromosomes, not to mention buttressing by its distribution pattern. And yes, E3a has *definitely* been detected in Egypt. If there is reason to deny IV association with E3a chromosomes, I welcome its presentation.

quote:

I'm careful because of the problem we have had with haplotype V in Ethiopia. Haplotype V was supposed to be very high in Ethiopia yet E-M81 isn't.

Taking care is something to be encouraged, however the situation with haplotype V is distinct from that of IV. Both V and XI chromosomes fall into E3b chromosomes for the most part in the African context, whereas IV doesn't have that element to it. Since RFLP doesn't actually identify the binary markers in of itself, this is where confusion was brought about in the contextualization of V and XI; I've gone through this a few times here before.

quote:
I've gone through this a few times here before.

Relevant reading: Haplotype V revisited

Perhaps also relevant from therein and the other link I posted:

Some TaqI 49 a,f variants have multiple associations; for example VIII is affiliated with several lineages (Al-Zahery, 2003). So far research indicates that haplotype V in Africa is associated with the M35/215 (or 215/M35) subclade, as is XI, and IV with the M2/PN1/M180 lineage, both of the YAP/M145/M213 cluster. These lineages that in Africa that affiliate with heliotypes V, XI, and IV (called “sub-Saharan”), are joined by a transition mutation: “(M)ost notably the PN2 transition…unites two high frequency subclades, defined by M2/PN1/M180 mutations in sub-Saharan Africa, and M35/215 in north and east Africa…” (Underhill et al., 2001, p.50; see also Cruciani et al., 2002). - Keita, 2005.

I never denied that E3a is indeed in Egypt, I've just never saw it in the frequencies that correspond to those of haplotype IV. In this study

The Levant versus the Horn of Africa: Evidence for Bidirectional Corridors
of Human Migrations

E3a appears in Egypt at a frequency of 2.8%

And in this study

A Predominantly Neolithic Origin for Y-Chromosomal DNA Variation in
North Africa

E3a appears to be absent or at least almost absent from Northern(lower) and Southern(Upper) Egypt and Sudan. Thats why I'm suspicious as of the correlation of haplotype IV with E3a.

quote:
quote:

I disagree, my map is clearly more detailed and with 10 times as much data as that one, plus it spans all of west Asia. Don't let those lines on the map you posted confuse you, that map was generated with only 10 or 12 data points, you can even distinguish them on the map, while I made mine with 100+ sampled populations. Many of the numbers on my map are the average of 2, 3 or 5 sampled populations that were near to each other.
This map I posted was based on information from a huge dataset. If you go to the study and look at the dataset itself you would see this. At any rate E3a is has its highest frequencies in West Africa, not amongst Bantus.

quote:

I never denied that E3a is indeed in Egypt, I've just never saw it in the frequencies that correspond to those of haplotype IV.

Well, you are looking at the Data; the question is whether you're willing understand what you see. If you acknowledge that E3a has been detected in Egypt, then it should come as no shock whenever you come across it anywhere.

quote:

In this study

The Levant versus the Horn of Africa: Evidence for Bidirectional Corridors
of Human Migrations

E3a appears in Egypt at a frequency of 2.8%

A study which only takes into account lower Egypt, which makes it all the more interesting, since this is an area where one would expect least probability [relatively speaking of course] of its detection if we were dealing with a lineage that is supposed to be of low frequency. Simply put, if lower Egypt can show this much detection of E3a, one can only imagine how much more would be detected going up the Nile Valley.

quote:

And in this study

A Predominantly Neolithic Origin for Y-Chromosomal DNA Variation in
North Africa

E3a appears to be absent or at least almost absent from Northern(lower) and Southern(Upper) Egypt and Sudan.

Arredi et al.'s study primarily focuses on E3b and J lineages, not E3a. Their samples, as far as I know consist of candidates from two locations: 44 candidates from Mansoura and 29 from Luxor. Of these samples, 14 binary markers were identified in the 44 candidates from Mansoura, while the 37 identifications were done by tandem repeats, and likewise, of the 29 candidates, 9 were actually defined by binary makers while 27 were defined only by tandem repeats. It is also of interest that this study also shows E3a detection in the Ethiopian sample. Whereas in the Luis et al. sample, more diverse speaking groups in northern Egypt were sampled, namely Arabic and Tamazight speakers. So it is the question of sampling selection, sampling size, and ability to detect as much binary markers along with STR markers as possible.

quote:

Thats why I'm suspicious as of the correlation of haplotype IV with E3a.

Your suspicion to me is unfounded, because you yourself acknowledge that at least one of the studies you cited *explicitly* notes E3a detection in Egypt, and yet you are perplexed by its finding in another, wherein again relatively lower detection occurs in lower Egypt and relatively higher frequencies found in the Upper Nile. The distribution makes sense. What else is even telling, is that you provide no reason as to why IV could be anything but M2 affiliated chromosomes as Keita has observed; instead, you simply tell us that your *suspicions* are holding you back. I've provided more than a "suspicion" to demonstrate why there is no reason to doubt that IV associates with M2-associated chromosomes.

Evergreen Writes:

It is probable that E3a/M2 was much higher in Lower Egypt pre Late Dynastic times. Many of the indigenous African lineages were swamped due to non-African infiltration into NE Africa at this time.

quote:
[QB]
quote:

I never denied that E3a is indeed in Egypt, I've just never saw it in the frequencies that correspond to those of haplotype IV.

Well, you are looking at the Data; the question is whether you're willing understand what you see. If you acknowledge that E3a has been detected in Egypt, then it should come as no shock whenever you come across it anywhere.
That its there isn't shocking to me, I simply stated that the frequency of E3a doesn't correspond to the frequencies of haplotype IV found in Lucotte et al's study If you think otherwise you need to produce evidence for it.

quote:
Your suspicion to me is unfounded, because you yourself acknowledge that at least one of the studies you cited *explicitly* notes E3a detection in Egypt, and yet you are perplexed by its finding in another, wherein again relatively lower detection occurs in lower Egypt and relatively higher frequencies found in the Upper Nile. The distribution makes sense. What else is even telling, is that you provide no reason as to why IV could be anything but M2 affiliated chromosomes as Keita has observed; instead, you simply tell us that your *suspicions* are holding you back. I've provided more than a "suspicion" to demonstrate why there is no reason to doubt that IV associates with M2-associated chromosomes.
You got me totally wrong, and what about the virtual absence of E3a in Sudan, yet Lucotte et al says higher frequencies of haplotype IV is supposed to be there? I have perfectly good reasons for having some suspicion about the correlation between haplotype IV and E3a.

quote:
Evergreen Writes:

It is probable that E3a/M2 was much higher in Lower Egypt pre Late Dynastic times. Many of the indigenous African lineages were swamped due to non-African infiltration into NE Africa at this time.

And what specific lineages could have possibly been lost?

quote:
quote:
Evergreen Writes:

Evergreen Writes:

Obviously E3a.

quote:
[QUOTE]You got me totally wrong, and what about the virtual absence of E3a in Sudan

Evergreen Writes:

That's seems to be a far-fetched claim. Heck, there are people of recent West African origin in the Sudan. How could E3a possibly be "virtually absent". Please provide your source.

quote:
[QUOTE]That its there isn't shocking to me, I simply stated that the frequency of E3a doesn't correspond to the frequencies of haplotype IV found in Lucotte et al's study If you think otherwise you need to produce evidence for it.

Evergreen Writes:

What frequency does IV correspond to based upon your research?

quote:
quote:
quote:
Evergreen Writes:

Evergreen Writes:

Obviously E3a.

That may certainly be true, although it looks as if E-M81 and E-M78 look to be the predominant lineages that may have ben in abundance before non-African infiltration.

quote:
quote:
[QUOTE]You got me totally wrong, and what about the virtual absence of E3a in Sudan

Evergreen Writes:

That's seems to be a far-fetched claim. Heck, there are people of recent West African origin in the Sudan. How could E3a possibly be "virtually absent". Please provide your source.

Thats why I said *VIRTUAL* absence, there is some E3a in Sudan, but the frequencies don't correlate with the high frequencies of haplotype IV that were observed in Lucotte et al's study. If people of West African ancestry moved there and they have, there would be some E3a there, but this wouldn't have any bearing on E3a in prehistoric times.

quote:
quote:
[QUOTE]That its there isn't shocking to me, I simply stated that the frequency of E3a doesn't correspond to the frequencies of haplotype IV found in Lucotte et al's study If you think otherwise you need to produce evidence for it.

Evergreen Writes:

What frequency does IV correspond to based upon your research?

From what I've read on haplotype IV, it does in fact appear to correlate to E3a in West Africa, but I cannot say the same for Upper Egypt and Northern Sudan regarding this.

quote:
[QUOTE]That may certainly be true, although it looks as if E-M81 and E-M78 look to be the predominant lineages that may have ben in abundance before non-African infiltration.

Evergreen Writes:

This is not true. NE African bio-history is not static. Various lineages would have been present in pre Late Dynastic Egypt. This would vary based upon the region and the time frame. Some lineages that existed may now be extinct for that matter. Some lineages such as y-chromsome lineage R* may be indigenous to NE Africa as well.

quote:
[QUOTE]Thats why I said *VIRTUAL* absence, there is some E3a in Sudan, but the frequencies don't correlate with the high frequencies of haplotype IV that were observed in Lucotte et al's study.

Evergreen Writes:

This could be due to sampling size and variation in the regions tested, correct?

quote:
Originally posted by Charlie Bass: [QUOTE]If people of West African ancestry moved there and they have, there would be some E3a there, but this wouldn't have any bearing on E3a in prehistoric times.
Evergreen Writes:

You are correct. However, we know that Saharans moved into the Nile and that the same source population feed West Africa. A common gene pool is to be expected, correct?

quote:
[QUOTE]From what I've read on haplotype IV, it does in fact appear to correlate to E3a in West Africa, but I cannot say the same for Upper Egypt and Northern Sudan regarding this.

Evergreen Writes:

Ok, but you have alluded my original question:

What frequency does IV in Egypt/Sudan correspond to based upon **YOUR** research?

quote:
quote:
[QUOTE]Thats why I said *VIRTUAL* absence, there is some E3a in Sudan, but the frequencies don't correlate with the high frequencies of haplotype IV that were observed in Lucotte et al's study. [/qb]

Evergreen Writes:

This could be due to sampling size and variation in the regions tested, correct?

True

quote:
quote:
If people of West African ancestry moved there and they have, there would be some E3a there, but this wouldn't have any bearing on E3a in prehistoric times.

Evergreen Writes:

You are correct. However, we know that Saharans moved into the Nile and that the same source population feed West Africa. A common gene pool is to be expected, correct? [/QB]

True.

quote:
quote:
[QUOTE]From what I've read on haplotype IV, it does in fact appear to correlate to E3a in West Africa, but I cannot say the same for Upper Egypt and Northern Sudan regarding this.

Evergreen Writes:

Ok, but you have alluded my original question:

What frequency does IV in Egypt/Sudan correspond to based upon **YOUR** research?

I've already stated it. I just haven't seen many studies that show a frequency of E3a in Upper Egypt/Sudan that parallels the frequency of Haplotype IV in these same areas. Perhaps haplotype IV could be affiliated with more than just E3a, depending upon the population.

quote:
quote:
quote:

This map I posted was based on information from a huge dataset. If you go to the study and look at the dataset itself you would see this. At any rate E3a is has its highest frequencies in West Africa, not amongst Bantus.
I had already seen this map a few months ago. It's from the 2007 study of Guinea-Bissau. After taking a 2nd look at the data accompanying their map, I was surprised at how many samples they used, since, I'm sorry to say, their map seems to be "choppy". But all of those samples I already knew about and included them in my map. It was good to know, reading that list, that I have done a thorough job investigating the scientific reports on E3a in Africa. I didn't miss a single one. And I included a few more that they didn't, such as the 200+ samples of people originating from Darfur (no E3a was found). And like I said previously, my map also includes E3a outside of Africa, which is extremely interesting in itself.

quote:
quote:
[QUOTE]That may certainly be true, although it looks as if E-M81 and E-M78 look to be the predominant lineages that may have ben in abundance before non-African infiltration.

Evergreen Writes:

This is not true. NE African bio-history is not static. Various lineages would have been present in pre Late Dynastic Egypt. This would vary based upon the region and the time frame. Some lineages that existed may now be extinct for that matter. Some lineages such as y-chromsome lineage R* may be indigenous to NE Africa as well.

I know people are not static, I just hinted that maybe E-M81 and E-M78 were the most abundant haplogroups in Egypt. I could as well be wrong and yes some R* lineages could have originated in NE Africa.

quote:
[QUOTE]I've already stated it. I just haven't seen many studies that show a frequency of E3a in Upper Egypt/Sudan that parallels the frequency of Haplotype IV in these same areas. Perhaps haplotype IV could be affiliated with more than just E3a, depending upon the population.

Evergreen Writes:

This could have less to do with the positive correlation between E3a and IV and more to do with the fact that genetic researchers have a greater interest in the phylogeny of E3b and its downstream mutations. Few resources are alloted to research on Africa and E3a.

quote:
[QUOTE]I included a few more that they didn't, such as the 200+ samples of people originating from Darfur (no E3a was found).

Evergreen Writes:

What is your peer-reviewed source for this claim?

KEITA - 2005 :

"Haplotype IV, that denotes the M2/PN1 subclade, is notably found in west, central and subequatorial Africa in speakers of Niger-Congo (Niger-Kordofanian) languages, and as noted by Lucotte and Mercier (2003a) also at noteworthy frequency in at least one group of Nilosaharan speakers (Ehret 1993)—Egyptian Nubians, and some Afroasiatic speakers, upper Egyptians, who have linguistically shifted branches within Afroasiatic (ancient Egyptian-Coptic to Semitic) in the Islamic period."

quote:
quote:
[QUOTE]I included a few more that they didn't, such as the 200+ samples of people originating from Darfur (no E3a was found).

Evergreen Writes:

What is your peer-reviewed source for this claim?

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?tool=pubmed&pubmedid=17500593

Here's the y-dna data:
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1866354&rendertype=table&id=pgen-0030071-t001

It's a 2007 study on visceral leishmaniasis in Sudan and its possible relation with specific y-dna haplogroups.

E3b1 = 214/321 (67%)
A3b2 = 89/321 (28%)
J = 18/321 (6%)

Note that the populations studied no longer live in Darfur, but in central Sudan, since around the 1970's.

quote:

That its there isn't shocking to me, I simply stated that the frequency of E3a doesn't correspond to the frequencies of haplotype IV found in Lucotte et al's study If you think otherwise you need to produce evidence for it.

Makes no sense. You say that E3a doesn‘t correspond to the frequencies of haplotype 4, even though an extract from a study was cited *explicitly* stating that the former does associate with the latter.

Reiteration of evidence that you proclaim isn't there:

Lucotte et al.'s data, Keita, and your own citation of Luis et al. are all provided evidence. You simply deny them - but denial of evidence is not "evidence to the contrary", nor does it diminish the weight of evidence provided.

- What evidence do you have that states, that IV doesn't correspond to M2-associated lineages?
That‘s right, you have produced none so far; you only have a 'suspicion' to fall back on.

-Not that it really matters, but since you made qualms about it, Luis et al.'s frequencies for E3a does tie in well with that shown in Lucotte et al.'s, as far as Lower Egypt is concerned.

quote:

You got me totally wrong, and what about the virtual absence of E3a in Sudan

Who said it is absent, i.e. if by Sudan, you are referring to "lower Nubia"? Not according to data used by Lucotte et al. or Keita, that is for sure; in fact, that data says otherwise.

quote:

yet Lucotte et al says higher frequencies of haplotype IV is supposed to be there?

It makes sense for higher frequencies to be in the region straddling Egypt and northern Sudan, since it is naturally closer to sub-Saharan Africa than the coastal north regions. But this is just a distraction; if you have evidence that haplotype IV doesn't correspond to M2 bearing chromosomes as already cited, then produce it.

quote:

I have perfectly good reasons for having some suspicion about the correlation between haplotype IV and E3a.

But you produce no substantive merit to back it up.

In the meantime…

A piece of this was already cited here earlier, but for a broader read, we have:

Haplotype IV, designating the M2/PN1 subclade, as noted, is found in high frequency in west, central, and sub-equatorial Africa in speakers of Niger-Congo—which may have a special relationship with Nilosaharan—spoken by Nubians; together they might form a superphylum called
Kongo-Saharan or Niger-Saharan (see Gregersen 1972, Blench 1995), but this is not fully supported. The spatial distribution of p49a,f TaqI haplotypes in the geographically-widespread speakers of Nilosaharan languages has not been fully characterized, but the notable presence of haplotype IV in Nubians speaking the Eastern Sudanic branch is interesting in that this
subgroup is in the Sahelian branch of speakers, whose ancestors may have participated in the domestication of cattle in the eastern Sahara (Ehret 2000, Wendorf and Schild 2001). Sometimes haplotype IV (and the M2 lineage) is seen as being associated with the “Bantu expansion” (2000-3000 bp), but this does not mean that it is not much older, since expansion and origin times cannot be conflated. Haplotype IV has substantial frequencies in upper Egypt and Nubia, greater than VII and VIII, and even V. Bantu languages were never spoken in these regions or Senegal, where M2 is greater than 90 percent in some studies.
- Keita, 2005.

Some tables to look at:

code:

Population (n) Haplotypes and percentages

IV V XI VII VIII XII XV

Falasha (38) 0.0 60.5 26.3 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0

Ethiopians [non Falasha](104) 0.0 40.4 25.9 0.0 23.1 0.0 0.0

Berbers (74) 1.4 68.9 2.8 1.4 6.8 4.1 0.0
(Morocco)

“Sephardic” Jews (381) 8.4 18.6 6.8 19.9 34.1 4.2 2.1

“Oriental” Jews(56) 1.8 8.9 0.0 7.1 78.6 0.0 1.8

“Near Eastern” (27) 0.0 7.4 0.0 7.4 85.1 0.0 0.0

Askenazic Jews(256) 0.0 3.1 15.2* 22.7 24.6 9.0 10.9

1 - Lucotte and Mercier (2003a)
2 - Lucotte and Mercier (2003b)
3 - Al-Zahery et al. (2003); *haplotype XI here is documented from two biallelic lineages
4 - Lucotte et al. (2000)
5 - Lucotte and Smets (1999)

code:
country (n)                     Haplotypes and percentages 

IV V XI VII VIII XII XV

Egypt(274) 13.9 39.4 18.9 6.6 7.3 2.2 5.5

Lebanon(54) 3.7 16.7 7.4 20.4 31.5 5.6 1.9
Palestine(69) 1.4 15.9 5.8 13.0 46.4 0.0 4.3
Iraq(139) 1.4 7.2 6.4* 20.1 36.0 1.4 0.7
Egypt(52) 7.7 40.4 21.2 9.6 7.7 3.8 1.9
Libya (38) 7.9 44.7 10.5 0.0 5.3 13.2 0.0
Algeria (141) 8.5 56.7 5.0 1.4 7.1 4.2 5.0
Tunisia (73) 0.0 53.4 5.5 4.1 2.7 26.0 2.7
Morocco (102) 0.98 57.8 8.8 4.9 7.8 0.98 10.8
Mauretania (25) 8.0 44.0 8.0 0.0 4.0 0.0 0.0
Suprasah(composite)(505)
4.4 55.0 7.7 3.2 6.3 7.1 4.2
Ethiopia(composite)(142) 0.0 45.8 26.1 0.0 16.9 0.0 0.0

6 - Lucotte et al. (1996)
References 2, 4, 5, as in Table 2A.
*Haplotype XI in groups admixed with northern Europeans is usually affiliated with
haplogroup R1; in Africa it is usually associated with haplogroup E (al-Zahery 2003).

These distributions of haplotype 4 make perfect sense, if they were strongly associated with E3a chromosomes.

^Tables courtesy Keita, 2005.

But if you think Keita is alone in his observation, then consider this:

A total of 21 different 49a,f haplotypes were found and are illustrated in Fig. 4 as a sub-classification of the Iraqi Y-chromosome haplogroups. The most represented haplotype of haplogroup E is haplotype 5 (A 2 C 0 D 0 F 1 I 1 ). This is followed by haplotype 11 (A 3 C 0 D 0 F 1 I 1 ) at a much lower frequency. Haplotypes 5 and 11 were observed both in Africa (Lucotte et al., 2001; Passarino et al., 1998; Persichetti et al., 1992; Santachiara-Benerecetti and Semino, 1996; Spurdle and Jenkins, 1992; Torroni et al., 1990) and Eurasia (Passarino et al., 2001; Semino et al., 2000b) but in Africa they belong to haplogroup E, whereas in Eurasia, particularly in *Northeastern Eurasia*, they belong mainly to the haplogroup R-M17. Interestingly, the proportion of haplotypes 5 and 11 in haplogroups E and R-M17 is reversed, with haplotype 5 prevalent in haplogroup E and haplotype 11 in haplogroup R-M17. By considering that the two haplotypes differ by a single band change and their different proportion in the two lineages, it is likely that haplotype 11 is a derivative of haplotype 5 in haplogroup E and just the opposite in haplogroup R-M17.

And...

It is worth mentioning that in haplogroup E two subjects belong to the African specific E-M2 clade, which is very frequent in the Western and Southern part of the continent (Cruciani et al., 2002; Passarino et al., 1998; Scozzari et al., 1999; Seielstad et al., 1994; Semino et al., 2002; Underhill et al., 2000) and has been related to the Bantu expansion. These two Y chromosomes **harbor haplotype 4** (A 1 C 0 D 0 F 1 I 1 ) which is also African- specific and **shows the same geographic distribution** (Excoffier et al., 1987; Passarino et al., 1998; Spurdle and Jenkins, 1992; Torroni et al., 1990). Within haplogroup J, haplotypes 7 (A 2 C 0 D 1 F 1 I 0 ) and 8 (A 2 C 0 D 1 F 1 I 1 ) are the most represented, but haplotype 7 is observed only in the J-M172 sub-set. This suggests that the 49a,f haplotype 7 arose on a 12f2-8Kb/M172 Y chromosome. - N. Al Zahery et al. 2003, Y-chromosome and mtDNA polymorphisms in Iraq, a crossroad
of the early human dispersal and of post-Neolithic migrations

^More reason for Charles to present evidence to the contrary; Keita is joined by more authors in backing up his observation about the close association between haplotype 4 and E3a, but who is backing you up to the contrary?

Difficult issue to resolve matching TAqI to Y chromosome Polymorphism.

What is most striking to me is the absense of Haplotype IV in Ethiopian populations which is concordant with the absense of E3a in Ethiopia.

In other words - there is the same pattern of IV being predominent in West Africa, present to lesser degree in NorthWest Africa and SouthWest Asia, but absent in Ethiopia that can be found with E3a.

However this is based on the assumption that TaqI can be reliably mapped to Y chromosome.

I don't understand the relationship well enough to comment on that.

quote:
Originally posted by rasol:

However this is based on the assumption that TaqI can be reliably mapped to Y chromosome.

I don't understand the relationship well enough to comment on that.

To understand how Al Zahery et al. were able to link RFLP haplotypes to SNP markers on the chromosomes under study, they identified the former by using TaqI restriction enzyme digests and the latter with the likes of PCR and DHPLC analysis; essentially this sort of approach to testing for both RFLP markers and binary markers has been exemplified in the following link - we discussed the methods utilized in relative detail, in the sorting out of RFLP markers into respective sub-clades: Haplotype V revisited

Supercar, please post a study that shows substantial frequencies of E3a in Sudan and Upper Egypt that correspond to the frequencies of haplotype IV in Lucotte et al's study.

quote:

Supercar, please post a study that shows substantial frequencies of E3a in Sudan and Upper Egypt that correspond to the frequencies of haplotype IV in Lucotte et al's study.

Already provided. Please cater to my outstanding requests.

quote:
[QUOTE]Haplotype IV, designating the M2/PN1 subclade, as noted, is found in high frequency in west, central, and sub-equatorial Africa in speakers of Niger-Congo—which may have a special relationship with Nilosaharan—spoken by Nubians; together they might form a superphylum called
Kongo-Saharan or Niger-Saharan (see Gregersen 1972, Blench 1995), but this is not fully supported.

Evergreen Writes:

Key takeaways -

A. The research community investigating the phylogenetic history of haplogroup E has a history of working with patterns of conscious and subconscious bias.

B. Little research on haplogroup E3a has been conducted.

C. Sample sizes and samples of a wide variety of populations in Chad, Sudan, Egypt, Niger, etc have not been conducted.

D. When samples are taken inappropriate models based upon stereotype and bias have been constructed.

E. Wide samples of Nilo-Saharan have not been taken.

F. Archaeology and linguistics indicate Nilo-Saharan inputs into Neolithic and Pre-Dynastic Egypt (Southern Egypt and Northern Sudan).

G. Nilo-Saharan and Niger-Congo languages seem to have a deep time-depth relationship and this is congruent with a shared pre-LGM heritage. This would indicate a common E3a ancestry for these populations. This is consistent with what we know of haplogroup E distributions among Senegalese populations.

A few of trhe studies I've saw that have tested Nilo-Saharans don't show a high frequency of E3a. The Maasai and datoga both show high frequencies of M35 and A3b2 and relatively lower frequencies of E3a which *COULD* be due to recent mixture with Bantu speakers.

-

E3a isn't as high in some bantu speakers as one may think though it will vary from population to population. Same for haplotype IV, its absent in the Central African Republic and in Pygmies according to one study I read.

quote:
A few of trhe studies I've saw that have tested Nilo-Saharans don't show a high frequency of E3a. The Maasai and datoga both show high frequencies of M35 and A3b2 and relatively lower frequencies of E3a which *COULD* be due to recent mixture with Bantu speakers.

Evergreen Writes:

Key word is "the few studies". To better understand the early Holocene y-chromosome lineage of Nilo-Saharan speakers we need broad sampling and well refined modeling.

quote:

Evergreen Writes:

Key takeaways -

A. The research community investigating the phylogenetic history of haplogroup E has a history of working with patterns of conscious and subconscious bias.

B. Little research on haplogroup E3a has been conducted.

C. Sample sizes and samples of a wide variety of populations in Chad, Sudan, Egypt, Niger, etc have not been conducted.

D. When samples are taken inappropriate models based upon stereotype and bias have been constructed.

E. Wide samples of Nilo-Saharan have not been taken.

F. Archaeology and linguistics indicate Nilo-Saharan inputs into Neolithic and Pre-Dynastic Egypt (Southern Egypt and Northern Sudan).

G. Nilo-Saharan and Niger-Congo languages seem to have a deep time-depth relationship and this is congruent with a shared pre-LGM heritage. This would indicate a common E3a ancestry for these populations. This is consistent with what we know of haplogroup E distributions among Senegalese populations.

Yes to all, and I'll like to add that each study has to be carefully reviewed on its methodological merits, which includes regions sampled, sample size, *target* markers of the authors and actual markers found, regional and ethnic diversity of samples.

quote:

Same for haplotype IV, its absent in the Central African Republic and in Pygmies according to one study I read.

You do realize what RFLP haplotype IV corresponds to, right?

Given that haplotype 4 = (A1, C0, D0, F1, I1)

Which study are you referring to that mentions the absence of the above in Central African Republic and in Pygmies?

-

Changed Ethiopia. It had 0/47 E3a from Wood (2005), now I added 3/88 E3a from Underhill (2000), making the final Ethiopia figure 3/135 = 2% E3a. The Wood samples are new (not from Underhill).

Extended the blue colored range from Lake Chad up to east Niger. Cruciani (2004) found 14/22 E(xE3b) in "Tuareg from Niger". Later, Wood (2005) showed a map of Africa with the populations sampled in previous studies, and the map showed 3 previous samples for Niger, 2 of them obviously from Cruciani (2004), the Fulbe and Hausa, and the 3rd was the Kanuri, whom are a nomadic people historically linked with a Berber migration, so it's very likely this was the "Tuareg from Niger" sample from Cruciani (2004). I don't know what part of their E(xE3b) is E3a, but comparing with neighbors in north Cameroon in which E3a is about 2/3 of their overall E(xE3b), the Kanuri E3a is perhaps around 40%. I put the number with a question mark. By the way, the Kanuri people also had 10% E3b1b (2/22), while none was found in the 200+ samples from the nearby north Cameroon region of Lake Chad.

Extended the blue colored range into north Mali, because Underhill (2000) found 9/44 E3a in "Mali", and judging from the Wood (2005) map showing samples from previous studies, the only possible candidate are the Tuareg in north Mali. Also, the fact that they have 30% E3b1b and 20% E3a makes it very unlikely they would be from south Mali, since its neighbors in Burkina Faso and elsewhere are 80%+ E3a and 0% E3b1b.

Corrected the percentage for the region around south Mali and Burkina Faso after relocating the Mali sample to north Mali. It used to say 30% and 80%, now it says 70%. This makes West Africa more uniformly E3a, ranging from 70% to 90%.

The extended blue zone looks almost as big as West Africa but has less than 1% of its population. It's mostly Sahara desert, and a part of the Sahel.

I think I'm going to redo the map completely so that it shows the country borders. It sucks trying to figure things out without them.

-

This map shows the distribution of E3a and the population density.

quote:
 -

This map shows the distribution of E3a and the population density.

Evergreen Writes:

Your map needs work. Does it not strike you as odd that E3a approaches frequencies near 10% in Palestine and 0% in Upper Egypt according to your graphic.

The Palestinian figure is from a study in 2005 by Carlos Flores and Ana Gonzalez, on the y-dna of Jordan. From what I could make out of the graph (I didn't read the actual study), they found 9% of 147 Palestinians belonged to E-P2 (E3), and didn't belong to M78, M81, or M123. So it's possible that they could belong to E3*, E3a, or E3b1*; but it's most likely that all these samples are E3a.

The low percentage for Egypt is verified in almost half a dozen y-dna studies.

quote:

Evergreen Writes:

Your map needs work. Does it not strike you as odd that E3a approaches frequencies near 10% in Palestine and 0% in Upper Egypt according to your graphic.

You're probably wasting your time in pointing out any shortcomings; I've tried, and it proved to be futile.

Hum Genet. 1979 Mar 12;47(2):203-5

The length of the Y chromosome in Nubian males and its location in metaphase spreads.

Nasjleti et. al.

A total of 242 metaphase plates from the peripheral blood of Nubian males living near Aswan, Egypt were studied with respect to the length of the Y chromosome and its location in metaphase spreads. The length of the Y was similar to that found in American Negroes, and the Y chromosome was peripherally located in 79 of the 242 cells.

quote:
quote:

quote:

quote:

Evergreen Writes:

^A necessary question. Other studies like the following [a recap btw], have suggested otherwise, if we are to acknowledge IV as the haplotype associated with the M2 mutation:

Of note are the frequencies of the aforementioned haplotypes; V, XI, and IV:

Lower Egypt (n=162); V=51.9%, XI=11.7%, and IV=1.2%.

Upper Egypt (n=66); V=24.2%, XI=28.8%, and IV=27.3%.

Lower Nubia (n=46); V=17.4%, XI=30.4%, and IV=39.1%.

The primary haplotypes found in Europe, XII and XV, according to Keita, could have likely entered into the country via Greco-Roman invasions, are found in Lower Egypt at 3.7% and 6.8% respectively. Not surprising, the frequencies of these two are lower in Upper egypt, with XII not represented, while XV is at 6.1%. They are absent in Lower Nubia. These results are according to Lucotte and Mercier's findings, 2003

Details discussed here: http://thenile.phpbb-host.com/phpbb/ftopic152-15.php [/QB]

Evergreen Writes:

Hence we see a smooth grade of haplogroup E3a spreading out of NE Africa during the Early Bronze Age.

Syria = ~ 5%
Palestine = ~ 10%
Lower Egypt = ~ 2%**
Upper Egypt = ~ 28%
Lower Nubia = ~ 39%

** Lower Egypt may be an outlier due to the infiltration of large numbers of non-indigenous Africans post-Late Kingdom Dynastic era.

Haplogroup E3a may have spread from the Central Sahara to the Nile Valley during the pre-early Neolithic phase. There is further evidence of the spread of Saharan cultural elements such as bi-facial arrowheads and pottery into the early neolithic Faiyum and southern Levant. Further itterations of immigration may have followed with the early Dynastic and Middle Bronze Age Egyptian colonial activity in "Canaan".

West Africa and the Central Sahara in turn may be connected via the movement of early holocene, pottery and bi-facial arrowhead (Ounan points) using populations from West African regions such as Ounjougou Mali into the Central Sahara. Hence, West Africa is a likely population source of the early Holocene Central Sahara and by default early neolithic base population of ancient Egypt.

Evergreen Posts:

A Y-chromosome portrait of the population of Jerba (Tunisia) to elucidate its complex demographic history
Manni et. Al.

The Jewish population

The genetic profile of the Jewish sample is related to populations in the Middle East where Hg E3a has its highest frequencies. Moreover, the Middle Eastern origin of the Jewish group is confirmed by preliminary results on Y-chromosome microsatellites of 15 individuals sampled in Tlamim; 13 of them carried for the Cohen Modal Haplotype (CMH). This haplotype is frequent in the Jewish diaspora and it has been suggested that it might be particularly frequent in families which trace patrilineal ancestry to the Jewish priesthood (Thomas et al. 2000). While the CMH is not specific of Jews, being widespread in several Middle Eastern populations (Brinkmann et al. 1999, Zoosman-Diskin 2000), such a datum seems to support two different scenarios for the Jewish colonization of Jerba: a) a founding group that migrated to Jerba in an early dispersal of Jewish population from the Middle East or b) a recent migration of families of ancient Jewish ancestry. The first scenario seems unrealistic because microsatellite markers are rapidly evolving, therefore we would expect more variable microsatellite haplotypes in the case of an ancient founding event, unless some bottlenecks occurred in the male lineage of Jerban Jews.

quote:
[QUOTE]

Evergreen Writes:

Hence we see a smooth grade of haplogroup E3a spreading out of NE Africa during the Early Bronze Age.

Syria = ~ 5%
Palestine = ~ 10%
Lower Egypt = ~ 2%**
Upper Egypt = ~ 28%
Lower Nubia = ~ 39%

** Lower Egypt may be an outlier due to the infiltration of large numbers of non-indigenous Africans post-Late Kingdom Dynastic era.

Haplogroup E3a may have spread from the Central Sahara to the Nile Valley during the pre-early Neolithic phase. There is further evidence of the spread of Saharan cultural elements such as bi-facial arrowheads and pottery into the early neolithic Faiyum and southern Levant. Further itterations of immigration may have followed with the early Dynastic and Middle Bronze Age Egyptian colonial activity in "Canaan".

West Africa and the Central Sahara in turn may be connected via the movement of early holocene, pottery and bi-facial arrowhead (Ounan points) using populations from West African regions such as Ounjougou Mali into the Central Sahara. Hence, West Africa is a likely population source of the early Holocene Central Sahara and by default early neolithic base population of ancient Egypt.

Evergreen Writes:

The semi-sedentary cultures found in early Holocene West Africa would lead to population increases and expansion across the Sahel and into the Central Sahara. What’s needed now is a reassessment of haplogroup E3a sub-lineages in North Africa and around the Mediterranean basin to better understand the phylogenetics.

quote:
[QUOTE]

Sub-populations within the major European and African derived haplogroups R1b3 and E3a are differentiated by previously phylogenetically undefined Y-SNPs.

Sims et. al.

Single nucleotide polymorphisms on the Y chromosome (Y-SNPs) have been widely used in the study of human migration patterns and evolution. Potential forensic applications of Y-SNPs include their use in predicting the ethnogeographic origin of the donor of a crime scene sample, or exclusion of suspects of sexual assaults (the evidence of which often comprises male/female mixtures and may involve multiple perpetrators), paternity testing, and identification of non- and half-siblings. In this study, we used a population of 118 African- and 125 European-Americans to evaluate 12 previously phylogenetically undefined Y-SNPs for their ability to further differentiate individuals who belong to the major African (E3a)- and European (R1b3, I)-derived haplogroups. Ten of these markers define seven new sub-clades (equivalent to E3a7a, E3a8, E3a8a, E3a8a1, R1b3h, R1b3i, and R1b3i1 using the Y Chromosome Consortium nomenclature) within haplogroups E and R. Interestingly, during the course of this study we evaluated M222, a sub-R1b3 marker rarely used, and found that this sub-haplogroup in effect defines the Y-STR Irish Modal Haplotype (IMH). The new bi-allelic markers described here are expected to find application in human evolutionary studies and forensic genetics.

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com