EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Re:lamin:Myths about Africa

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Re:lamin:Myths about Africa
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lamin, I found in my reserch that many people in America have wrong ideas about people living in Africa. Most view Africa either as an area with Tropical rain forest or a vast desert. I think that equal amounts of reserch should be given to other areas of Africa besides ancinet Kmt[ancient Egypt].

I once believed most of the negative streotypes about Africa and Africans untill I picked up a book by Basil Davidson called Pre-Colonial Western Africa. After reading this book I was enlightened much more about the past history that Africans have.

On the other hand, I am not one to beat up on other ethnicities at the expense of truth. I am also not one to romanticize Africa,and I am willing to point out weaknesses within the continent and to accept improvement. This simple fact seems to hinder many people who study Africa. I can understand after all the negative press and information that Africans have recieved that one might chose this route.

This is why I feel that Diasporian Africans [African Americans,Brazilians,etc.] should also spend time reserching other areas in Africa beside Egypt. This is to say that I am not discouraging them from studying ancient Kmt,but that many myths would be shattered about other areas of Africa if they would take the time to study these areas. Many might also find a cultural connection between them and many areas in America.

We have oral traditions,customs, and cultures in Western Africa fading away. Right know libraries of Timbuktu and Kano are falling into obscuity and documents wasting away. These cultural treasures would be terrible to lose,and many would be non-replaceable.

Another benefit might come from studying the political systems,medicinal systems,and social systems of Western Africans. Already we have an entire corpus on the Yoruba people and also upon other groups like the Dogon.

The archaeological study of Western Africa is extremely lacking. Most scholars have neglected this area with the except of Susan Keech Mcintosh[supervised the archaeology at Djenne]. Archaeological sites in Mauritania and the Sahara exist with much potential to tell about the early history of Western Africa.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EGyPT2005
Member # 4995

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for EGyPT2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
lamin, I found in my reserch that many people in America have wrong ideas about people living in Africa. Most view Africa either as an area with Tropical rain forest or a vast desert. I think that equal amounts of reserch should be given to other areas of Africa besides ancinet Kmt[ancient Egypt].

I once believed most of the negative streotypes about Africa and Africans untill I picked up a book by Basil Davidson called Pre-Colonial Western Africa. After reading this book I was enlightened much more about the past history that Africans have.

On the other hand, I am not one to beat up on other ethnicities at the expense of truth. I am also not one to romanticize Africa,and I am willing to point out weaknesses within the continent and to accept improvement. This simple fact seems to hinder many people who study Africa. I can understand after all the negative press and information that Africans have recieved that one might chose this route.

This is why I feel that Diasporian Africans [African Americans,Brazilians,etc.] should also spend time reserching other areas in Africa beside Egypt. This is to say that I am not discouraging them from studying ancient Kmt,but that many myths would be shattered about other areas of Africa if they would take the time to study these areas. Many might also find a cultural connection between them and many areas in America.

We have oral traditions,customs, and cultures in Western Africa fading away. Right know libraries of Timbuktu and Kano are falling into obscuity and documents wasting away. These cultural treasures would be terrible to lose,and many would be non-replaceable.

Another benefit might come from studying the political systems,medicinal systems,and social systems of Western Africans. Already we have an entire corpus on the Yoruba people and also upon other groups like the Dogon.

The archaeological study of Western Africa is extremely lacking. Most scholars have neglected this area with the except of Susan Keech Mcintosh[supervised the archaeology at Djenne]. Archaeological sites in Mauritania and the Sahara exist with much potential to tell about the early history of Western Africa.

Very Interesting Ausar!

Would you happen to have any references or links pertaining to this particular subject, that we could check out for ourselves?

Posts: 115 | From: South Bend, Indiana, US | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lamin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To: Ausar

You are right. Maybe some photos of the "lost wax" sculptures of Benin and Nok of what is now called Nigeria would be helpful. I have noticed that some of the headpieces and head gear of the Benin figures are very much similar to those of Ancient Egypt. The same applies to the kinds of headrests--curved in parabolic fashion--found among the Akan of Ghana. There are many other kinds of visual examples from places like the Congo, etc.

The history of Kano with its interesting archictecture and literature(Kano Chronicles written in Hausa) may also be visually explored.

And then there's the history and archictecture of places like Axum(part of modern Ethiopia), Kilwa and Zimbabwe may all be compared with AE for similarites and differences.

Posts: 5492 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kem-Au
Member # 1820

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kem-Au     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lamin:
To: Ausar

You are right. Maybe some photos of the "lost wax" sculptures of Benin and Nok of what is now called Nigeria would be helpful.

Or for starters, one can simply check out my web site http://www.bcecartoons.com (shameless plug ;-) ). There's a ton of info in the forums and the black history section.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com