EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Feud of the Thutmoses

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Feud of the Thutmoses
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In reading all this other talk about proposed Hollywood films on Ancient Egypt and all, it occurred to me; has anyone ever read about all the commotion during the time of the Thutmoses, Hatshepsut, of all the supposedly feuding, and plotting that was going on. The events read like Shakespeare and all.

This was one of the most dramatic epochs in Ancient Egyptian history.

Has anyone else here read these accounts?

I know I'm repeating myself but, If what went on back then wasn't drama, I don't know what is...

Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wally:
In reading all this other talk about proposed Hollywood films on Ancient Egypt and all, it occurred to me; has anyone ever read about all the commotion during the time of the Thutmoses, Hatshepsut, of all the supposedly feuding, and plotting that was going on. The events read like Shakespeare and all.

This was one of the most dramatic epochs in Ancient Egyptian history.

Has anyone else here read these accounts?

I know I'm repeating myself but, If what went on back then wasn't drama, I don't know what is...

Please share...

Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One could do a mini-series just on the 18th Dyansty. The whole thing reads like grand tragedy....from the Hyksos invasion, to Hatshepsut's gender bending, lady Pharoah; the Oedipal conflict between her and her son; the Akhenaten religous revolution; King Tut's mysterious death.

Hey, it's got violence, sex, religion, everything a good mini-series needs!

[This message has been edited by rasol (edited 10 February 2005).]

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kem-Au
Member # 1820

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kem-Au     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard some differing accounts of Hatshepsut's fued with Tuthmosis. On one hand you got people that say Tuthmosis hated her because she took the throne when it was his turn, so when she died he tried to wipe out all memory of her.

Then there are those who say that there was really no beef between them, and that he had to remove her legacy to preserve maat, since a woman can't be Pharaoh. I don't buy this one. I'd be pissed if I was in line to be king a some and my co-regent took my spot. BTW, from what I understand, Hatshepsut wasn't his mother.

I highly suggest checking out the book, Akenaten, Egypt's False Prophet. It has alot of info on Hatshepsut's reign and the role of the Amun priests in her rise to power.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was she his aunt or something? Wicked step mother perhaps?
Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kem-Au
Member # 1820

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kem-Au     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rasol:
Was she his aunt or something? Wicked step mother perhaps?

Maybe both. It must've been tough keeping the bloodline pure.

[This message has been edited by Kem-Au (edited 10 February 2005).]

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Often overlooked, is Hatshepsut as a poineer of a Woman Pharaoh. Know of any woman Pharaoh before her?
Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Super car:
Often overlooked, is Hatshepsut as a poineer of a Woman Pharaoh. Know of any woman Pharaoh before her?

Hatshepsut was not the first female pharaoh. I'll have to look that one up, I think it was during either the Old Kingdom or the Middle one...and while I'm looking that one up, I'll try and compile a list of books that go into detail on the feuding Thutmoses, stay tuned...

Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kem-Au
Member # 1820

Rate Member
Hatshepsut was the third female Pharaoh. The first was Neithikret, then Sobeknefru.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ancient/egyptians/women_03.shtml

Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kem-Au:
Hatshepsut was the third female Pharaoh. The first was Neithikret, then Sobeknefru.

It is amazing how these earlier female Pharaohs have often been downplayed.

Kem-Au
Member # 1820

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Super car:
It is amazing how these earlier female Pharaohs have often been downplayed.

It may have something to do with the available information. The New Kingdom kings are well known from Egyptian documents and foreign sources. Perhaps that's why we have so much info on them versus earlier periods. Just a guess.

Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
First Female Pharaoh
According to Manetho's list:
during the 6th dynasty; of the 6 Memphite Kings, the sixth sovereign was Nitocris (Neithikret), the first female sovereign.

Also referenced by Kem-Au http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ancient/egyptians/women_03.shtml

Good sources on the feud of the Thutmoses:

quote:

History of Egypt: From the Earliest Times to the Persian Conquest, Vol. 2
by James Henry Breasted
Chapter XV. The Feud of the Thutmosids and the Reign of Hatshepsut 266
--Amazon.com /Public Library

quote:

The Nile and Egyptian Civilization
by Alexander Moret
"Dynastic Disputes in the time of Hatshepsut"
pp 306-314
--Borders / Public Library

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, Nitocris has not been proven to exist except in Manetho's chronology and Herodotus history of her. In the Chronicle of the Pharaohs by Peter Clayton there is a mention of a early female pharaoh around the 2nd dyansty.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenndo
Member # 4846

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for kenndo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
Unfortunately, Nitocris has not been proven to exist except in Manetho's chronology and Herodotus history of her. In the Chronicle of the Pharaohs by Peter Clayton there is a mention of a early female pharaoh around the 2nd dyansty.

Folks should read that book,i did.

[This message has been edited by kenndo (edited 14 February 2005).]

Posts: 2688 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com