EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » The Rainmaker King concept

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Rainmaker King concept
Lamin.G
Member # 6472

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lamin.G     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Rainmaker King...

It was present in Kemet, and other Africans have been known to adopt it...but how does this concept apply to cultures outside of Africa, in relation to its purpose/meaning in Kemet?

Posts: 14 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
YuhiVII
Member # 5605

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for YuhiVII     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamin.G:
The Rainmaker King...

It was present in Kemet, and other Africans have been known to adopt it...but how does this concept apply to cultures outside of Africa, in relation to its purpose/meaning in Kemet?

What exactly is the rainmaker king concept? And how does it relate to dynastic ancient Egypt?

Posts: 102 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lamin.G
Member # 6472

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lamin.G     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by YuhiVII:
What exactly is the rainmaker king concept? And how does it relate to dynastic ancient Egypt?

I was actually hoping proponents of "AE is just geographically African" would enlighten me on this. For one to make such an absolute comment, you would have to know the AE culture in and out, wouldn't you!

Posts: 14 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
YuhiVII
Member # 5605

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for YuhiVII     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Ausar for opening up this thread again. My previous question stands: what exactly is the rainmaker king concept and how is it related to ancient Egypt?
Posts: 102 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by YuhiVII:
Thanks Ausar for opening up this thread again. My previous question stands: what exactly is the rainmaker king concept and how is it related to ancient Egypt?

Actually, I've transferred this topic to another thread. Check "The interesting...Kemet" out, it provides an example of this concept.

Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is an excerpt from a book by Cyril Aldred about the rainmaker king:

But although the purely archeological evidence might appear to
demonstrate a parallel development in the two areas,we know that in
fact this,though superfically existing in material culture,was not
the product of indentical societies,nor was it leading to such state
of affairs. In Mesopotamiathe beginnings of little independent city-
states under tutelary gods,rulers,councils and assemblies are
perceptible,though later to be submerged in a familar patter of
oriental despotism,but in Egypt from the beginning we are able to
glimpse that essentially African figure,the omnipotent,rainmaking,god-
king]'The perhistoric cheiftain,a rainmaker and medicine-man,with
magic power over the weather and therefore able to keep his people in
health and prosperity' becomes with the founding of the first ,'the
Pharoah ,a divine king being in command over the Nile and able to
substain and protect the notion'

page 9

Cyril Aldred
Egypt to the End of the Old Kingdom

following text taken from The Dawn of Civlization by Professor Stuart
Piggott

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com