EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Did AEs wear their hair in an Afro-Style?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Did AEs wear their hair in an Afro-Style?
Elijah The Tishbite
Member # 10328

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elijah The Tishbite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just wondering because I've seen very few images of AEs with Afros.
Posts: 2596 | From: Vicksburg | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only scene I think that is in a natural Afro is from the 3rd dyansty dyansty tomb of Hesi-Re. Authorities concluded it was not a wig.

I am sure possibly that other examples exist. Most ancient Egyptians shaved off theif head and wore wigs. Most of the natural hair we do see is very short cropped hair.

Another exception is the little girl in the Fowling in the Marshes scene from the tomb of Menna. She has a natural braid hairstyle.

Not to many studies on hairstyles in ancient Egypt.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Yes, practically all the expert sources on ancient Egyptian hair seem to come from Dr. Joann Fletcher whose specialty was hair.

Here is the wooden image showing Hesi-re with his natural hair.

-

There was a larger closeup picture of the head, but I could not find it. Anyway, the hair is natural and not a wig because the ears show.

Posts: 26311 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Israel
Member # 11221

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Israel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know about afros, but I have at least two pics where AE's had twists or dreadlocks! I don't know how to get the pics from the books to the computer, but I can at least give ya'll the information about the pics. Peace.
Posts: 826 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Wysinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What kind of hair style is this?

Ahmose I: 18th Dynasty Egypt

-

Posts: 1549 | From: California, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^I believe it's a 'round' wig of the braided type
quote:
Originally posted by Israel:

I don't know about afros, but I have at least two pics where AE's had twists or dreadlocks! I don't know how to get the pics from the books to the computer, but I can at least give ya'll the information about the pics. Peace.

To get pics from books into your pc you have to use a scanner.
Posts: 26311 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
Only scene I think that is in a natural Afro is from the 3rd dyansty dyansty tomb of Hesi-Re. Authorities concluded it was not a wig.

I am sure possibly that other examples exist. Most ancient Egyptians shaved off theif head and wore wigs. Most of the natural hair we do see is very short cropped hair.

Another exception is the little girl in the Fowling in the Marshes scene from the tomb of Menna. She has a natural braid hairstyle.

Not to many studies on hairstyles in ancient Egypt.

-

Earlier post seems to be a broken link.

Besides, familiar images...

-

-

...which show the hairline with ear showing, give the appearance of an "afro" style. This though, may just have to do with the relative simplification of drawing.

Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kifaru
Member # 4698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kifaru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd suggest looking for the small staues that depict life scenes that are a part of funerary statues. I have seen several with afro hairstyles.
Posts: 167 | From: usa | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com