EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Bit nervous (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Bit nervous
Flowertop
Member # 14851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flowertop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all, this is my first time to post, I have been lurking around for quite a number of months.

I am from UK, currently divorcing my husband (marriage was over before this, just not on paper).

I am 40 years old, I have 2 children from this marriage who are older.

I have money.

I can have children still.

I am not an old bag,long blonde hair,pretty, slim get asked out all the time by (far too) young english guys, look younger than my years and fit.(not trying to be conceited here by the way)

I really just want to find out a few things really, so I hope you can all give me a heads up.

Same old story really....

I have met an egyptian guy, he was working at Four Seasons when i stayed there with my friend. He was really sweet and when I said we were going to Naama for the evening I said he could meet us and show us around.

He did, he did the usual crap of your beautiful etc that they all do, (have been to sharm a few times), but there was just something about him which I trusted, and I really took to... dont know why, I just did. So I asked him to stop giving me the bullshit and be normal etc. I can be very frank with people, and he did and we got on really well, we made a pact and he swore he would be honest with me and I promised him I would, and he seems to be, even telling me stuff I dont enjoy hearing.

He is 33 just, his parents are both dead, his brother is now head of the family.They live in a nice area of Cairo. He has told me that he has had quite a few girlfriends in the past, been out with a few english girls too etc. So doesnt appear to be telling lies.

I have just come back from a weeks visit to him, he only gets off work from Four Seasons, once a month. We stayed at Marriot.... now I paid for his room as we had to get 2 rooms not together, but I spent most of time in same room. He payed for other stuff when we went out and didnt ask me for money.

We had a fantastic holiday, went on a boat to Tiran etc..... a lot of people assumed we were married for some reason, dont know why, went to fantasia and loads of other things.

It was just lovely to be with him.. he makes me feel really safe, takes so much care of me, extremely protective.

The men I meet in England are always overly gentlemanly to me, so I am used to being treated with respect. But this, it was just so lovely, he said I am like something precious that needs to be protected.(I think he meant I needed to be wrapped up like a present so other men didnt look at me hahah) He didnt even like his friends saying anything that could be slightly flirty, and quickly put them straight.

He would always have a protective arm ready for crossing roads, and carrying bags and would sometimes put an arm around my shoulder, but would be totally respectful to me at all times.

Just so many things that I fell in love with him for, I could go on forever... he was just such a lovely guy... or so it would appear.

He would like to take this further, he rings me and I ring him most days, we text and talk online and I am going back out in a few weeks for another visit. He wants to take me to cairo to meet his family, I have already spoken to his sister on the phone, very sweet. His friend has said that I am a very very nice girl and he should take very good care, or words to that effect. (which worried me a bit cos why would he say that, doesnt he ususally then???)He hasnt told his brother about me yet, but his brother wants him to marry as he is 33... plus on paper I am still married so not good. He has told his sister about me though as I said.

Now, after reading this forum... I came back to earth with a resounding thud.

I am scared that I am being duped here.. he is a bit of a gorgeous babe, but I am no trog by far. But what worries me is the money thing.

Can someone shed some light on this story and give me their opinion, but please dont call me a fat old hag for going out with younger guy(or something like that hahah)... I have always gone out with younger guys, including english ones (i know there is 7 years difference in this relationship but I dont look my age.. if that makes any difference)

I just need to know warning signs or anything that I can say or do so that I could see what his true intentions are. I believe they are trustworthy but my friends tell me to take care, he could just want money and uk pass...etc.. but you lot seem to know what you are talking about so any advice would be great.

thanks

Posts: 27 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bastet*Loves*Ptah
Member # 13948

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bastet*Loves*Ptah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Want to know his true intentions? Suggest that you will marry him (if he asks) and live with him in Egypt. Tell him you have no money and he could support you both but that you are not willing to live with him in your own country.

The fact that he works in a resort/hotel is a big red flag, not always but usually. You are not the first he has probably spoken with, as he has said, and you may look good/younger for your age but there are others who are younger and probably prettier, so you must ask yourself 'why me?'.
He was just a diamond in the rough waiting to be discovered by you? [Confused]

Take it slowly, try to find out more about him and see if next time he can reimburse you for your airfare. You are spending money to come and visit him and if he wants to see you he will fund that.

--------------------
MEOW

Posts: 412 | From: protectress of Lower Egypt | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maxman
Member # 12150

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for maxman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bastet*Loves*Ptah:
Want to know his true intentions? Suggest that you will marry him (if he asks) and live with him in Egypt. Tell him you have no money and he could support you both but that you are not willing to live with him in your own country.

The fact that he works in a resort/hotel is a big red flag, not always but usually. You are not the first he has probably spoken with, as he has said, and you may look good/younger for your age but there are others who are younger and probably prettier, so you must ask yourself 'why me?'.
He was just a diamond in the rough waiting to be discovered by you? [Confused]

Take it slowly, try to find out more about him and see if next time he can reimburse you for your airfare. You are spending money to come and visit him and if he wants to see you he will fund that.

That is the best advice one can find on ES! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Posts: 998 | From: UK,Egypt,east and central africa..... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advocate
Member # 13367

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for advocate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I cannot understand about the ES forum is how can a woman expect a man living in Egypt to pay her airfare? [Confused] I am sure if this were men from another countries they would not be expected to do so?!

As we are all aware, wages in Egypt are considerably low and the price for the airfare I know (from the uk at least is £300+) would cost approximately a month's wage, how could anyone possibly afford that and live, eat and pay their bills? [Eek!]

Whilst I appreciate relationships should be reciprocal, that does not neccessarily mean that men have to pay for EVERYTHING.

I feel that telling newcomers that their "loves" should pay their airfare and for everything else is being unrealistic and setting up their possible relationships to fail from the onset if they feel that their "love" does not love them enough to pay as others have appeared to do on this and other forums. [Frown]

This is just my opinion. [Razz]

Posts: 1917 | From: WALES | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advocate
Member # 13367

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for advocate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=14;t=000096;p=1#000000

i think this link says what I am trying to say [Frown]

Posts: 1917 | From: WALES | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bastet*Loves*Ptah
Member # 13948

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bastet*Loves*Ptah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by advocate:
What I cannot understand about the ES forum is how can a woman expect a man living in Egypt to pay her airfare? [Confused] I am sure if this were men from another countries they would not be expected to do so?!

As we are all aware, wages in Egypt are considerably low and the price for the airfare I know (from the uk at least is £300+) would cost approximately a month's wage, how could anyone possibly afford that and live, eat and pay their bills? [Eek!]

Whilst I appreciate relationships should be reciprocal, that does not neccessarily mean that men have to pay for EVERYTHING.

I feel that telling newcomers that their "loves" should pay their airfare and for everything else is being unrealistic and setting up their possible relationships to fail from the onset if they feel that their "love" does not love them enough to pay as others have appeared to do on this and other forums. [Frown]

This is just my opinion. [Razz]

What is so impossible to understand? She says he has never asked her for money, he pays for things, comes from a nice place in Cairo, why not ask? If he is unable to pay for a complete ticket, why not split the cost? [Confused] Believe me, the men here will prove a lot to you in what they do financially, even if it is a little that they can afford. She should ask him, see his reaction.
Posts: 412 | From: protectress of Lower Egypt | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advocate
Member # 13367

Member Rated:
i'm sorry but I couldn't bring myself to ask any man for anything, especially for money for me to come and see him. [Embarrassed]

My opinion although aknowledge not shared by all.

young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree advocate it is totally unrealistic to expect an Egyptian man to pay an airfare and the rest on the wages they earn.
Little Sparrow, There is no hard and fast rules about trusting his intentions. Keeping your feet firmly on the ground and your eyes wide open is a good start.
I met my guy nearly 3 years ago, at the time he was working in Sharm too. We were friends for quite a long time before it developed into a relationship. I had read this site for a while and yes it certainly brings you down to earth! I spent so much time doubting him, waiting for a reason to be proved I was right. It has to be said everything is really good between us.

It's just a case of being careful, not getting carried away or making rash decisions. If he suddenly has an ill relative, starts talking about opening his own business, wanting a car for a better job, or suddenly goes awol,with his mobile 'not working', or all of the above, which happened to someone I know! Then have serious doubts. All the best to you, just take care.

Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bastet*Loves*Ptah
Member # 13948

Rate Member
If you were dating a Western man that you knew made less money than you did, you would insist to pay for each date? [Confused] Of course not, but you ladies give allowances because the man is different? If he is serious he will have no problem to help with the expense as much as he can and be honest about that. Otherwise you will see him take off really fast, and where is the harm in finding out true character early?

--------------------
MEOW

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although I fully agree with bastet, this is very sound advice, but I also agree with advocate regarding the expenses.

I know there have been times that my husband has insisted on paying for things when I visited, I knew he couldn't afford it and I knew why he was doing it. I have never 'expected' him to pay my fare, or for anything else, as I knew the salary he was taking home and how many he had to support on that. But I found out that he was borrowing money to do this and getting himself into debt to provide for me, which he would then pay back over the time I wasnt there with him. One time he did ask me to come and that he would send the money, I refused as I knew he would have got the money and had to pay it back over 6 months. His salary at that time, it would have been 6 months salary for my ticket!

Its all fair and good to 'test' him on these things but the test is if he asks for money, for his sick aunts uncles cousins heart operation, then run. Saying that though now im here there is always someone in hospital or just died!! [Big Grin] No he asks for no money to fund these great operations but he does visit sick and dead and dying a lot of the time, due to responsibility.

Any woman from a western culture should be aware of the basic salaries these men are actually on, and also be aware of how many family members he will be supporting on that. I could not live with myself if I thought for one minute him providing me an air ticket would leave any of his family without anything they needed. At that time what I earned in less than 1 day was what he earned in 1 month!

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advocate
Member # 13367

Member Rated:
BHP, I agree there is no harm in finding out true character, that is what we wish to know about our prospective partners.

What I find hard to digest is that it appears on ES that Egyptian men are being encouraged to fund visits from their "loves" when they cannot afford it, should he offer to assist in paying for the airfare and accommodation then that is fair enough in my opinion, but the female should not automatically expect her partner to pay.

If I were dating a western man of lower income than me, I would suggest we go dutch, I would suggest that in any case, regardless of income, as it would not be something you would discuss when first getting to know each other would you?

Nobody is saying anything about being "different" it is about being "realistic".

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If you were dating a Western man that you knew made less money than you did, you would insist to pay for each date? [Confused] Of course not, but you ladies give allowances because the man is different? If he is serious he will have no problem to help with the expense as much as he can and be honest about that. Otherwise you will see him take off really fast, and where is the harm in finding out true character early?

Bastet i understand what you are saying but its not the same at all. A western man earning less than his date is totally different to an Egyptian man earning less than his western woman.

As I said above, in less than 1 day I earned more than my husband earned in 1 month and that was WITH his tips!! Granted it was not the best job or the best salary, but we cant choose who we fall in love with. When I was searching for work in Cairo, before I met my husband, I was shocked at the small salaries for up market jobs. I know this has increased since then but the salaries here are still nothing like those in the west.

There are many other ways to 'test' him but asking for air fare is not one. If he expects you to pay for everything once you are there and wont even put his hand in his pocket for a taxi, and takes you to fancy places expecting you to pay, then hes on the make simple as that. If he takes you to some grotty looking Egyptian eating place for the best chicken in Luxor, and pays himself, then maybe hes ok [Big Grin]

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bastet*Loves*Ptah
Member # 13948

Rate Member
I understand what you are saying. I really do.
I also find it very nice that you are willing to be so fair when it comes to the expenses of the man who makes little.
But you must view it FROM AN EGYPTIAN PERSPECTIVE and not from A WESTERN PERSPECTIVE.
The Egyptian man can at least pay for half of some things, as much as he is able to. Anything less is shameful for him. If you give him a free ride he will gladly take it but if you encourage (nudge nudge) him to take on more he will see you as having more self respect.
If he is unable to, then he is simply unable. But how do you know how many other women this man has flying in to see him from all over the world? I'm sure if he was helping to fund their flights each time it might not be so many and he may be more selective in who he chooses to see. Do you see where I'm going with this? [Wink]

--------------------
MEOW

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
absolutely bastet! and I fully agree.

There are many men here who have a wife on every flight in!

There are also men here with no wives and no g/f's and who happen to have 'met' someone either on holiday or on the net and are very genuine. The trick is to find which one you have.

I have already told of, or posted a link to, my 'old' story of my 'ex' Egyptian, affectionately known as 'the bast**d'. While i was in Egypt he paid for everything, took me to posh places and I was wined and dined like a princess. he did the same while we were in Paris. I was never expected to pay for anything. It took a good few months before the requests to 'help' financially came, by that time I was hooked. So it doesnt always happen right away. You can think you have the best in the world who pays for everything and sweeps you off your feet and months later you find you had a rat that took you for everything and you didnt even see it coming!

Best advice for little sparrow, and any others in the same situation, is to get to know him in reality, meet family and friends, see what other people say about him......If there is ANY doubts someone WILL tell you. They LOVE to 'inject' (plant a seed of doubt), both foreigners and Egyptians. Use your instincts and LISTEN TO THEM. If you get a red flag LISTEN TO IT.

MOST Egyptian men of any worth have not had many 'girlfriends' before, it's not in the culture to do that, but if he has and he has said so then he's being honest but step with caution!! Many girlfriends can mean many 'orfi wives' as there has to be some paperwork to allow him to 'be' with the 'girlfriends'. Go and have a holiday, but hold onto your heart and your purse, dont 'spend' what you cant afford to lose. If it is real then it will come out.

--------------------

Bastet*Loves*Ptah
Member # 13948

Rate Member
I agree getting to know him more, spend time with him and meet family is the best choice.

--------------------
MEOW

Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with BLP. Except from her holiday expierences LS doesn't know anything about her boyfreind, except what he has told her.
If he indeed is an orphan, with an elder brother being responsable, from a nice area in Cairo, I'll ask myself why his brother agrees in working in a red sea hotel, which is not a very honourable working-enviroment in Egyptian eyes.
He is bringing up a possible problem with his brother and an arranged marriage at age 33. I'm sure he already knows who his bride is going to be, sounds this is already arranged.
So, if he is going to show up with a foreign woman who isn't even devorced, at least they will not be pleased. It is loss of face, the families already gave each other promises.
(If indeed this is the truth)
So, you don't know what he has told his sister, because you don't understand Arabic. You will not know what he is going tell his brother for the same reasons.
You are going to visit that very nice area in Cairo to meet them, and you only can hope the people you're going to meet indeed are his brother and sister.
A family is more then brothers and sisters. How about grandparents, uncles, aunts, neices and nephews? When he indeed will tell his brother that he is going to marry you, you have to be introduced to them too.
Meet the brother's wife, and try to get in contact with anybody who speaks English in that family. Watch how they live, where they live, how they make their money, where the children go to school, etc. Collect as much information as possible. This will give a good impression about how they are as a family.
And talk about your future. I guess you cannot move to Egypt, because of your children. What are your plans for the future, when you are married?
Did he talk about that?
How is he going to provide you and your children?
Did he bring that up, or does he assume that this is your responsebility?
How does he think about your children, does he pay interest in them?
What are his plans and are they serious enough?
There is a lot you can find out, but at the same time you have to realise you're getting involved more and more with every step you take.
Is this just a sweet talking man, or a man that wants to take his responsebility?

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If a western woman comes on holiday, she has to save up money for a while to come over here on holiday, why should the man she is coming to see not have to either save up or pay back money to at least partly fund the trip, if funding all of it would be too much?

Due to visa difficulties or the comparative expense of a holiday in the west, it may be more economical for the woman to come to Egypt, but if she is making all the effort to come and see him, and is looking at the man as a potential husband, to not have any expectations on him footing a large part of the bill for those trips is setting up expectations for the future. If they want to keep on providing for the man throughout a potential marriage, then it's no problem, as that is the expectation that is being established. But to think of it as being an investment for a possible future return, that it not the way it is seen in the eyes of an Egyptian man.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bastet*Loves*Ptah
Member # 13948

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:
If they want to keep on providing for the man throughout a potential marriage, then it's no problem, as that is the expectation that is being established. But to think of it as being an investment for a possible future return, that it not the way it is seen in the eyes of an Egyptian man.

And there you have it.

The Egyptian man will see it much differnetly even though he wants you to think he views you as 'ohhh so kind to have pity on him'. I think there are many delusions going on otherwise, or just plain ignorance to the culture.

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Little Sparrow:
Hi all, this is my first time to post, I have been lurking around for quite a number of months.

I am from UK, currently divorcing my husband (marriage was over before this, just not on paper).

I am 40 years old, I have 2 children from this marriage who are older.

I have money.

I can have children still.

I am not an old bag,long blonde hair,pretty, slim get asked out all the time by (far too) young english guys, look younger than my years and fit.(not trying to be conceited here by the way)

I really just want to find out a few things really, so I hope you can all give me a heads up.

Same old story really....

I have met an egyptian guy, he was working at Four Seasons when i stayed there with my friend. He was really sweet and when I said we were going to Naama for the evening I said he could meet us and show us around.

He did, he did the usual crap of your beautiful etc that they all do, (have been to sharm a few times), but there was just something about him which I trusted, and I really took to... dont know why, I just did. So I asked him to stop giving me the bullshit and be normal etc. I can be very frank with people, and he did and we got on really well, we made a pact and he swore he would be honest with me and I promised him I would, and he seems to be, even telling me stuff I dont enjoy hearing.

He is 33 just, his parents are both dead, his brother is now head of the family.They live in a nice area of Cairo. He has told me that he has had quite a few girlfriends in the past, been out with a few english girls too etc. So doesnt appear to be telling lies.

I have just come back from a weeks visit to him, he only gets off work from Four Seasons, once a month. We stayed at Marriot.... now I paid for his room as we had to get 2 rooms not together, but I spent most of time in same room. He payed for other stuff when we went out and didnt ask me for money.

We had a fantastic holiday, went on a boat to Tiran etc..... a lot of people assumed we were married for some reason, dont know why, went to fantasia and loads of other things.

It was just lovely to be with him.. he makes me feel really safe, takes so much care of me, extremely protective.

The men I meet in England are always overly gentlemanly to me, so I am used to being treated with respect. But this, it was just so lovely, he said I am like something precious that needs to be protected.(I think he meant I needed to be wrapped up like a present so other men didnt look at me hahah) He didnt even like his friends saying anything that could be slightly flirty, and quickly put them straight.

He would always have a protective arm ready for crossing roads, and carrying bags and would sometimes put an arm around my shoulder, but would be totally respectful to me at all times.

Just so many things that I fell in love with him for, I could go on forever... he was just such a lovely guy... or so it would appear.

He would like to take this further, he rings me and I ring him most days, we text and talk online and I am going back out in a few weeks for another visit. He wants to take me to cairo to meet his family, I have already spoken to his sister on the phone, very sweet. His friend has said that I am a very very nice girl and he should take very good care, or words to that effect. (which worried me a bit cos why would he say that, doesnt he ususally then???)He hasnt told his brother about me yet, but his brother wants him to marry as he is 33... plus on paper I am still married so not good. He has told his sister about me though as I said.

Now, after reading this forum... I came back to earth with a resounding thud.

I am scared that I am being duped here.. he is a bit of a gorgeous babe, but I am no trog by far. But what worries me is the money thing.

Can someone shed some light on this story and give me their opinion, but please dont call me a fat old hag for going out with younger guy(or something like that hahah)... I have always gone out with younger guys, including english ones (i know there is 7 years difference in this relationship but I dont look my age.. if that makes any difference)

I just need to know warning signs or anything that I can say or do so that I could see what his true intentions are. I believe they are trustworthy but my friends tell me to take care, he could just want money and uk pass...etc.. but you lot seem to know what you are talking about so any advice would be great.

thanks

oh pooh! I read the others answers and answered then without reading all your post first [Big Grin]

From one older old bag to another, [Wink] the age difference between you 2 is not great and I know that many women of a more 'mature' age look better than when they were 17 [Big Grin] like me. [Wink]

I have never been to sharm but I have heard stories, not all good. the part that bothers me here is that he said he has had girlfriends before and the part about his brother wanting him married. At 33 he is a bit 'old' to be looking for a first Egyptian wife, as someone else said it could already be on the go anyway.

Sisters are not always 'sisters' and it can come out later that the sister you spoke to was in fact 'wife', so thats one to watch out for.

Go and meet the family, as many of them as you can, see how he is with them and how they are with you. You dont have enough time to learn enough Arabic so you will have to rely on instincts here.

you can read much here about Egyptian men, not all good as those with good to tell usually get ripped apart, as you will see. InshaAllah you wont regret the day you asked this question here and as I said to another newbie, make sure you have a hard hat and a bullet proof vest, and a good sense of humour [Big Grin]

Whatever we say you will make your own mind up. You know him and we dont, so take what we say with the normal bucket of salt and just make sure you are armed well and ask the right questions at the right time. Good Luck!

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Bastet I dont see it as pity. I understand what you and newcomer are saying. neither do I see it as an investment for a possible return, unless you are talking about 'business wives' [Big Grin]

The man should provide from his means, if his means do not stretch to an air ticket then that has to be paid for by the women, those women that are going on 'holiday'. Lets face it, until either you move to his country or he moves to yours, a holiday is what it is.

My husband provides for his family from his means, if his means are short then I will help out, I would certainly not let his family go without while I have what I need, it doesnt matter to me whose money it is, but thats me.

These women are going on holiday and meeting men, on holiday. Some just have a good time then go home and some fall in lerve! if they fall in lerve and want to visit him more regularly that is for them to fund, as you say even westerners save up for a holiday but those that have been to Egypt a few times know full well its NOT the 'holiday of a lifetime' in the sense you save up for a lifetime to get it!

As I said an air ticket from UK is around £300, thats lets say 3000LE, thats a LOT of money for an Egyptian man to fork out as well as supporting the woman once she is there. On the other hand £300 is the 'disposable income' of most working people in the UK in one month, many more than that. So what it could take an Egyptian man months if not years to save up, a western woman can do it in one month and every month if she chose to.

Many many Egyptian families live on 500LE or LESS a MONTH. The 'disposable income' is probably nothing or a few piastres for the coffee shop! A western woman on holiday here is not wanting to eat molokhaya and baladi bread everyday to survive, which is what many families live on. To ask an Egyptian man to pay air fare AND support while she is there is asking him to go beyond his means, so a western woman on 'holiday' should not expect him to be taking food from the mouths of his family to show her a good time and prove himself. If my husband ever let his family go without to try to prove something to me like that all it would prove is his lack of responsibility where it was most needed.

--------------------

newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You don't seem to have understood what I was saying; only part of it.

My message was that a western woman shouldn't make all the effort of travelling over here, paying the full price of her ticket, and maybe even her accommodation and other holiday expenses, thinking that if things do work out the man will then expect to take over and support her if she moves here. If she does that, she will be establishing expectations for the future.

I was saying that it is better to expect the man to pay as much of the costs as he can, even if it means that he has to save up for it or pay back borrowed money. That should be just part of his contribution to the visits.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bastet*Loves*Ptah
Member # 13948

Rate Member
Ayisha, no need to take this conversation so personally, it is meant more for the poster, I realize your situation is quite different.
If the man doesn't have the money to host her he has no business planning to get married yet. I understand there are the exceptions but those exceptions are SO FEW it is HIGHLY irresponsible to give women here the impression that they happened to catch one of the rareities.

--------------------
MEOW

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Newcomer, I agree that he should be expected to 'contribute' what he can but I cannot agree he should be allowing himself to get into debt for it, yes save up IF it is possible for him to do that on his income, what if its not? Then we get back to the same thing about a man who cant 'afford' a woman and the same old thing about how much is a wife!

Not all of us are lucky enough to fall for a rich man, in whatever terms used in the particular country. Should we then tell our hearts not to love because this is a poor man? The poor are the salt of the earth in my opinion, and I would rather have a poor honest man than a rich gigolo any day! you see, most men that COULD afford to do this I would be asking where the hell he got the money from to pay for my ticket. i KNOW personally men that do this, men with lots of money who flash it when necessary and I KNOW where they get the money from too.

Bastet, Ok I know im getting carried away here [Big Grin] but i can only speak from my own experience.

If the man is planning to marry, as his brother wants him to, then it is possible the brother will pay those marriage expenses for him, this does happen a lot too.

Its not just looking at the man in particular, its also looking at yourself. I know we are talking about a different culture but we are talking about 2 different cultures here and how they can mix and gain from each other. You cant just say look at things from the Egyptian culture as when a westerner is involved you have to look at things from both cultures.

As a westerner i am used to sharing, Egyptians also share among themselves all the time, more than westerners do even. Now if the poster said she has NO money then I can see the advice here to be reasonable, but she has said she HAS money, so I dont think it fair to make him pay for her to have a holiday when he will undoubtedly have MUCH less than she has. There are other ways to test his worth. Ask him what he thinks about living in UK for one thing, see how he answers that one. Ask him what he thinks of her moving to Egypt, see how he likes that, making sure it is known he will be supporting her from his means.

Im not saying this poster has caught one of the rare ones. No one knows that not even her and only time will tell. But to bombard her with all the questions and tests and thinks to look for assuming she hasnt is not going to help either. she has not met the family yet, that is number ONE, if he doesnt take her to meet his family then red flags out.

There are only so many 'general' things anyone can say, as not every Egyptian man is the same, neither are all Egyptian women or western women.

My advice would be to go for 7 weeks, you can on a charter. No man can keep up a pretense for that long and if there are any cracks they will show in that time!

--------------------

Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Sparrow, you did not say what his job at the Four Seasons was because there is a big difference between say a management job or that of a waiter/beach boy.

I would think your biggest concern should be that at 33 he is most likely already married but that could depend on family background and social status.

The replies above give you the usual warning signs to look out for but nothing will be able to put your mind at rest and probably only by spending a considerable amount of time in Egypt with him and meeting his family will you ever find the answers you want.

Women such as yourself are very vunerable to VISA hunters as the men know you are not going to be upping and leaving the UK when you have children there, so no amount of testing him on the financial front will give you any answers, as the VISA hunter will happily pay up in Egypt if he thinks there is a chance of getting to a European country.
They all know how to play the games they all advise each other on how to play them.

Take care you had a nice holiday romance, what you need to be asking yourself is what sort of life you want for you and your children when the bubble bursts and you come back down to earth and contemplate living a REAL life with a man from a totally different culture. Be that life in the UK or in Egypt.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Penny:
as the VISA hunter will happily pay up in Egypt if he thinks there is a chance of getting to a European country.
They all know how to play the games they all advise each other on how to play them.

spot on as ever penny!
newcomer
Member # 1056

quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
Newcomer, I agree that he should be expected to 'contribute' what he can but I cannot agree he should be allowing himself to get into debt for it, yes save up IF it is possible for him to do that on his income, what if its not? Then we get back to the same thing about a man who cant 'afford' a woman and the same old thing about how much is a wife!

Not all of us are lucky enough to fall for a rich man, in whatever terms used in the particular country. Should we then tell our hearts not to love because this is a poor man? The poor are the salt of the earth in my opinion, and I would rather have a poor honest man than a rich gigolo any day! you see, most men that COULD afford to do this I would be asking where the hell he got the money from to pay for my ticket. i KNOW personally men that do this, men with lots of money who flash it when necessary and I KNOW where they get the money from too.

If the man is a poor man and a woman wants to get into a relationship with him, and if she has her eyes open to the fact that he is poor, and is likely to always be that way, and what his lifestyle really is; and if she realizes that if she comes here he wouldn't be able to support her to live in the style that she is accustomed to without her trying to find a source of income to finance it, then it is no problem for her to come here and pay all her expenses.

But if them man only has an income of as you say 500LE/$100 or less a month, and has family to support on that, a woman should be realistic about the lifestyle that he might be able to offer her and what his expectations of their married life would be. It may be romantic to live in a poor neighbourhood for a holiday or on a temporary basis, but if you are considering more than that, and you like "western luxuries" like cereal for breakfast, you have to try to be realistic.

I agree that there are many poor people who are wonderful people, but can you live with them and adopt their lifestyle, for life. Some women can, some can't...many have left Egyptian husbands precisely because it was too hard for them to adapt.

There are also many men who could afford to make a sizeable contribution, if not pay for the whole trip who wouldn't have to get their money from shady sources, not all men who have money in Egypt are gigolos!

Almaz.
Member # 14025

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Almaz.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

If the man is a poor man and a woman wants to get into a relationship with him, and if she has her eyes open to the fact that he is poor, and is likely to always be that way, and what his lifestyle really is; and if she realizes that if she comes here he wouldn't be able to support her to live in the style that she is accustomed to without her trying to find a source of income to finance it, then it is no problem for her to come here and pay all her expenses.

But if them man only has an income of as you say 500LE/$100 or less a month, and has family to support on that, a woman should be realistic about the lifestyle that he might be able to offer her and what his expectations of their married life would be. It may be romantic to live in a poor neighbourhood for a holiday or on a temporary basis, but if you are considering more than that, and you like "western luxuries" like cereal for breakfast, you have to try to be realistic.

I agree that there are many poor people who are wonderful people, but can you live with them and adopt their lifestyle, for life. Some women can, some can't...many have left Egyptian husbands precisely because it was too hard for them to adapt.

There are also many men who could afford to make a sizeable contribution, if not pay for the whole trip who wouldn't have to get their money from shady sources, not all men who have money in Egypt are gigolos!

This is a very fair answer. If you know 'everything' you should know about this man and still want to be with him then go ahead.

But I would reverse the situation to this:

Imagine this man to be from your nationality, in your country with a low pay - with the same family, social and financial situation as this one, what would you do?

Posts: 919 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Almaz.
Member # 14025

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Almaz.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I agree getting to know him more, spend time with him and meet family is the best choice.

It is very important to see where he lives for real and meet his family and friends, especially that - as many know - a 'nice area in Cairo' has also unfortunately 'not so nice' pockets, unfortunately.

Also remember that most Egyptian men - who are not very rich - that meet an Egyptian woman they like /love that is richer than them, will say proudly when proposing:

You will have to live on my 'means' and adapt to 'my life' and forget about 'what you were used to'.

And guess what? a few of these marriages do succeed but MOST end up in a divorce and the woman goes back to the life she was used to.

Posts: 919 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bastet*Loves*Ptah
Member # 13948

Rate Member
The question is risk. What are you willing to risk and is it worth it?

--------------------
MEOW

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Almaz.:
quote:
quote:

This is a very fair answer. If you know 'everything' you should know about this man and still want to be with him then go ahead.

But I would reverse the situation to this:

Imagine this man to be from your nationality, in your country with a low pay - with the same family, social and financial situation as this one, what would you do?

exactly the same almaz.

Egyptian men are not the bees knees, they are not anything different, they are not from a different planet. If I met a man in UK who was of lower income than me it would make no difference to how i felt about him.

Newcomer, I know all Egyptian men with a high income are not gigolos [Big Grin] but most who work in the beach places do have a tendency to be that as the opportunity is there on a plate most of the time.

Of course any woman who intends to live here has to look at many things before moving here, like accommodation and living costs. Not all westerners can do it and not all Egyptians will be happy in another country either. Joining the 2 cultures is an uphill struggle no matter how much in love you are, it takes a lot of thinking, talking and preparation, but it can be done, both ways.

I know one lady who lived here over 5 years, brushing scorpions off her clothes every morning before going to work for a pittance, her husband did his best to support her and they had nothing. They eventually went to UK and made a bit of a living and come back regularly to oversee the building of their home here in Luxor. They have 2 beautiful children Alhamdulillah and she is much older than him. She stuck it because she loves him and they will return to live here. He has adjusted to UK life and now thinks people are crazy here, he sees now what we as foreigners see and it hurts him. This is a couple who have tried both cultures and are still together, and she knows she can survive here on nothing as she has done it. She had no money when she came and lived in the family home with him.

I know another woman who has been here 17 years, she has lived in the most poor living accommodation and has known hunger many times, she is still here and will always be here as she loves her husband, she is also a second wife. She has done everything she can to help him and raise the living status of the family and its paid off, if she had less about her she would have given up years ago.

It takes all sorts to make a world go round my mum used to say, its true. Not everyone can live as another lives out of necessity. For a western woman to choose to live here and be supported by her husband on a low income, she would have to be very adaptable, but there are very few who would do it and not want to help or contribute in any way as we are not made that way. For us to take on a different culture means also that the man in question has to take on some of ours. An Egyptian man cannot marry a western woman and expect her to adapt without him adapting also.

Almaz.
Member # 14025

Rate Member
Great examples Ayisha!
Out of love people accomplish beautiful things.

I also know many wealthy Egyptian families that upgrade the life of many poor Egyptian families, and when I say upgrade I mean a real change, giving work to the head of the family with a very good salary, buying the family clothes all year round, giving them good furniture, sometimes a small piece of land, and taking care of all the financial issues when there is a marriage, a birth, sickness/surgery etc...

I also know of very wealthy Egyptian men - who are definitely not gigolos [Wink] - marrying very poor girls/women and upgrading their status tremendously out of love too.

It is also known that many people that are given a great opportunity can be very successful, but others can be very abusive and will not use the good opportunity in the correct way. It is a risk.

The lady you mentioned is remarkable to have been a second wife and lived a life of struggle. We do have many good Egyptian women that would stand by their men in richer and in poorer, and struggle till they all see the light, but most would not be the second wives. Second wives that are Egyptian , are known to be the 'spoiled' the 'younger' the 'secret affair' the more 'lusty' side of things.

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
" I know another woman who has been here 17 years, she has lived in the most poor living accommodation and has known hunger many times, she is still here and will always be here as she loves her husband, she is also a second wife. She has done everything she can to help him and raise the living status of the family and its paid off, if she had less about her she would have given up years ago."

I guess it's a personal choice.... I wouldn't favor that by any means!

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flowertop
Member # 14851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flowertop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
many thanks for the good advice, I knew i could count on you guys.

so next time I go out there, I wont expect him to pay for my ticket, but will not flash cash around and perhaps be a little bit more dependant on him and see his reaction.

I will go and meet his family (if it is indeed his family)see where and how he lives, see if I can meet more of the extended family.

wow the post that said I could have spoken with his wife (not his sister) really blew me away, how disgusting would that be!? but the wedding photos dont look like she is marrying him. It is definately something i will think about and look into. it never even entered my brain that that could happen.Yes I am naive.

My gut feeling is that he does really like me, there is no reason not to but I have reservations, obviously, otherwise I wouldnt have posted this in first place.

I origionally said to him that I could perhaps(not would)live in egypt,at a later date but would kind of commute home every few months, my children are older and independent, hence the final divorce from my husband at this point in time and not earlier. But I will go and stay there for a considerable amount of time before I do anything else following the suggestion from earlier post. How does this work, you rent an apartment or some such thing??

He said that he wasnt sure if he could live in UK as he was very close to his family and would miss them, so could swing both ways, he could either be telling lies and want to move to uk eventually, or could want to stay as he has a wife.

I dont mind him having money from me, this isnt the problem, and it is better to have a girlfriend with money than without..no?

But I dont want the only reason he is with me to be for the money or for access into UK.And I do have a couple of red flags raised now regarding this girlfriend situation and something his friend said to me, regarding him being 'naughty'

So I will take all your advice, and put it into play fairly, and we will see what happens. If nothing else I have had a wonderful time with a man and will just put it down to holidays and life experience.

Can anyone see my picture in my profile, cos I dont see anyone elses.. wondered if I uploaded something wrong.

Oh and I do have him on quicktime video talking to his brother in arabic, so if anyone wants to translate this would be great hehehe.

Posts: 27 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bastet*Loves*Ptah
Member # 13948

Rate Member
Good luck LS.
[Smile]

--------------------
MEOW

Almaz.
Member # 14025

Rate Member
quote:
Good luck LS.
[Smile]

Ditto [Wink]

I can see your picture.

Flowertop
Member # 14851

am I only one who puts pic in profile??? I cant see anyone elses
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you see mine????? Sometimes they block it, because it could have influence on members.
Male members.
[Razz]

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
yes good luck, thought we scared you away [Big Grin]

I cant see a picture, but then im on dial up so it may take a day or 2 [Big Grin]

--------------------

Bastet*Loves*Ptah
Member # 13948

Rate Member
Can you see mine??! MEOW [Big Grin]

--------------------
MEOW

Flowertop
Member # 14851

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Flowertop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
haha yes bastet i can see your pretty kitty.. [Smile]
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
Great examples Ayisha!

I also know many wealthy Egyptian families that upgrade the life of many poor Egyptian families, and when I say upgrade I mean a real change, giving work to the head of the family with a very good salary, buying the family clothes all year round, giving them good furniture, sometimes a small piece of land, and taking care of all the financial issues when there is a marriage, a birth, sickness/surgery etc...

I also know of very wealthy Egyptian men - who are definitely not gigolos [Wink] - marrying very poor girls/women and upgrading their status tremendously out of love too.

It is also known that many people that are given a great opportunity can be very successful, but others can be very abusive and will not use the good opportunity in the correct way. It is a risk.

The lady you mentioned is remarkable to have been a second wife and lived a life of struggle. We do have many good Egyptian women that would stand by their men in richer and in poorer, and struggle till they all see the light, but most would not be the second wives. Second wives that are Egyptian , are known to be the 'spoiled' the 'younger' the 'secret affair' the more 'lusty' side of things.

This lady is an older British lady but they now are doing very well. Their business supports many many families and they certainly help out many many more needy families apart from those that work for them. Both wives are great friends and the children have 2 mums who they love the same. The English wife has made sure all the children are fluent in English and is making sure they get the chance of uni too, in fact the 2 elder ones are at Uni already and inshaAllah the next one will be soon. She loves them like her own and they all live in the same house too. This family is an exception I know, but a great one and a wonderful example to us all.
Flowertop
Member # 14851

I did get a bit scared reading some of those replies there Ayisha, but glad I did.. very helpfull...hahahaha poor guy, I will be watching his every move like a hawk not a sparrow. Wish I spoke arabic grrrrr
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Little Sparrow:
haha yes bastet i can see your pretty kitty.. [Smile]

[Eek!]

[Big Grin]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Almaz.
Member # 14025

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
Great examples Ayisha!

This lady is an older British lady but they now are doing very well. Their business supports many many families and they certainly help out many many more needy families apart from those that work for them. Both wives are great friends and the children have 2 mums who they love the same. The English wife has made sure all the children are fluent in English and is making sure they get the chance of uni too, in fact the 2 elder ones are at Uni already and inshaAllah the next one will be soon. She loves them like her own and they all live in the same house too. This family is an exception I know, but a great one and a wonderful example to us all.
She sure is unique!

Some people would do what she did as good Samaritans. But as a second wife, that is amazing!

Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by advocate:
i'm sorry but I couldn't bring myself to ask any man for anything, especially for money for me to come and see him. [Embarrassed]

My opinion although aknowledge not shared by all.

I think the same as you,Advocate,

Even if the guy lives in what is called a nice place in Cairo,what could be considered "good" salary there is only by Egypt standards that is wayyyy,wayyyy different than Western standards.
To rephrase is:"good" earnings or salary in Egypt is less than the minimum wage for us in America or Europe. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<If I were dating a western man of lower income than me, I would suggest we go dutch, I would suggest that in any case, regardless of income, as it would not be something you would discuss when first getting to know each other would you?>

My ex-husband,European by the way,earned less than me and we always used to share living costs on everything.But then,we are both Western and i know this is not the same as Egyptian way of thinking.

Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
<I know this has increased since then but the salaries here are still nothing like those in the west.>

Ayisha,your statement reminds me of an Egyptian friend i had who wanting to impress me
[Roll Eyes] showed me the villa he was gonna buy,including the price.What the silly soul was not aware of is that what he considered a waaahoooo,top class house cost the same as my medium class level flat in the middle of my capital city. [Big Grin]

Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
quote:
Can you see mine??! MEOW [Big Grin]

Love this graphic,Bastet!!!
kentuckygirl9
Member # 9949

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kentuckygirl9     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do these men have Id cards that show whether they are married or not? If so, get him to show you his ID card. Find out how to read it first ofcourse or have another egyptian friend read it.Atleast you will know if he is married or not. Your not that much older than him really in age. I hope it works out for the best.
Posts: 41 | From: usa | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

quote:
Originally posted by kentuckygirl9:
Do these men have Id cards that show whether they are married or not? If so, get him to show you his ID card. Find out how to read it first ofcourse or have another egyptian friend read it.Atleast you will know if he is married or not. Your not that much older than him really in age. I hope it works out for the best.

It does show the marital status on the ID card, but some of the guys here have more than one ID card; even some of those who are not scammers. Sadly that's not a foolproof way of checking anything.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com