EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Why does he scream at his family?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why does he scream at his family?
anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi all,

I just wanted to get some feedback on one thing.

My husband seems to have a very strange relationship with his family via the telephone.

He missess them and wants to hear from them. therefore he calls them a couple of times a week, but everytime he screams at them and scolds them like they were children.

And they accept it. He is the oldest son but how can they accept this? And I have asked him and encouraged him to be nice but he always falls in this pattern. He is like a very strict father with them.

Is this cultural? Or has my family in law just some very strange way of communicating?

Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egyptians in general have a very loud way to communicate with each other. I remember that very well.
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Matter of social class, just like in our society. If children are raised by screaming parents ( or worse) they will de the same when they're adult...

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I realize that but honestly if I were his mother i'd be soooo fed up with him. And even though he loves them so much and is worried about them, calling them just leaves him grumpy, annoyed and really upset.

I dread those phone calls. Why can't it be pleasant?

Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropos
Member # 9410

Social class? I don't really think that screaming is excluded to some social class. it is just a force of habit and character mixed together.

Of course I do worry that this screaming habit will continue into our family - it happens that we scream, i.e. me and my husband. I sure hope that he will not continue this habit with our child.

Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not excluded, but in common. To be honest majority of the people I know are screaming to each other. It's a lack in communication-skills. Even when you're angry and irritated, its possible to express that without shouting.
To me it's uncivilised, shouting against other people....

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Believe me your husband and family love each other. I once mentioned that to my ex when he was talking back to his mother in a very loud voice and all what I got from him was a 'That's none of your business!" (well he apologized later on) but remember the Italians are pretty much the same way. Very emotional, very loud! [Wink]
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to say this but from what you tell us... your husband sounds like a jerk all around.

Egyptians are loud talkers but yelling and scolding aren't usually part of it for normal conversations.

Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Habeeby
Member # 14429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Habeeby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mother War i have to agree with you, i have never heard my man raise his voice in anger. He is a very controlled man who can let you know with his words, in no uncertain terms, when he is angry but he says to shout or scold people is disrespectful and shows a lack of communication. I have shouted at him when i have been angry and he tells me that this is not acceptable behaviour and he is right.
Posts: 1797 | From: By my husband's side | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never heard my husband raise his voice at his sisters. Even when they are just about screaming at him he is very calm and gentle with them. He's the same way with me and I've yelled myself but I find when I do that with him and he answers me in a calm voice I tend to calm down myself. I love that about him. [Smile]

However..............I have heard him talk very very loudly with his friends on the phone!!! lol.

My ex is Italian and OMG. The first time I met his family was Easter Sunday and there were approx 40 people there and I thought at one point they were gonna kill each other and in the next few minutes they were hugging and kissing each other like crazy. Coming from a quiet family myself that took a lil getting used to!

Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Culture Club
Member # 13767

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Culture Club     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Egyptian mom has loud voice too when telephoning or when she called a helper from window to the street. But that to show people that she's strong woman only.
Posts: 756 | From: ...be solution... | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Doodlebug wrote:

"My ex is Italian and OMG. The first time I met his family was Easter Sunday and there were approx 40 people there and I thought at one point they were gonna kill each other and in the next few minutes they were hugging and kissing each other like crazy. Coming from a quiet family myself that took a lil getting used to!"

[Big Grin]

These were exactly the same observations I had. Raising the voice against a family member doesn't necessarily means anger or something like that. It's just the way they deal with each other. It's another mentality. It took me also some time getting used to it.

To Anthropos:

Please remember your husband and his family are seperated from each other so it easily can get very emotional on the phone.

crisálida
Member # 13923

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for crisálida     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that someone (anthropos) would know the difference between shouting and screaming in an aggressive way.

My guess is, from what she is saying, it is aggressive screaming, not jolly lighthearted loud voices or passion.

Anthropos, i hate to tell you this, but if this is his way of communicating with his family, and with you, it is likely that it will be his way of communicating with your child too, but i hope i am proved wrong x

Posts: 644 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *********     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I asked my husband about this very thing. It drives me crazy that I cannot watch a single programme on TV without there being screaming and slapping.
Today for the first time in 18 months I saw one programme!!!!! I watched it all the way through, something I cannot do normally. I watch about 3 mins then have to turn it over. It was Fatafeat a cooking programme and NO shouting!! but I could have fallen asleep it was so boring to watch!! haha

The husband said the low classes shout at each other. The nouveau riche also scream.

The better classes dont scream and for someone to scream at a mother and sister is so bad, so disrespectful and low.

You can tell a lot about someone from the way the son treats his mother and sisters in this culture and shouting and screaming is a definite indicator of class from what I have seen.

Posts: 3416 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crisálida
Member # 13923

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for crisálida     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally I think its more an indicator of agression than class.
Posts: 644 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Toots^ That goes for every culture. [Wink]

I laughed that you were able to watch one program. Marbrook! [Smile] I know what you mean, watching anything on TV with my in laws is a test in patience. I have given up.

Fatafeat, I love that cooking show, which program were you watching?

I also think it has alot to do with aggression. From what I have seen the more naturally calm people hardly ever, if never, raise their voices. My husband and his mother are two of these rare breeds...but the rest of them...god help me.

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree. My husband is not upper class or nouveau riche by any stretch, he never raises his voice in anger at his mother or sisters. I can tell by picking up bits and pieces of the conversation and in the inflection in his voice when they're having a disagreement. He talks loud on the phone to them because of the connection but he certainly isn't shouting or screaming in anger.

quote:
Originally posted by crisálida:
Personally I think its more an indicator of agression than class.

Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anthropos; not good. He thinks being the oldest/boss means being rude and maybe even violent with the others.

I am positive that he will fall into this pattern with his kids too.

Not good at all.

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
I heart Egypt
Member # 14662

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted      Profile for I heart Egypt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by doodlebug:
I have never heard my husband raise his voice at his sisters. Even when they are just about screaming at him he is very calm and gentle with them. He's the same way with me and I've yelled myself but I find when I do that with him and he answers me in a calm voice I tend to calm down myself. I love that about him. [Smile]

However..............I have heard him talk very very loudly with his friends on the phone!!! lol.

Why would he raise his voice at you dear? How else would he get you to keep sending over money.
Posts: 39 | From: New York | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bosox65
Member # 14647

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bosox65     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
get a life
Posts: 20 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
I heart Egypt
Member # 14662

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for I heart Egypt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bosox65:
get a life

I have one! And I am happy to say it doesn't involve sending money to my husband in Egypt and listening to him beg for it. Thank you dear!
Posts: 39 | From: New York | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bosox65
Member # 14647

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bosox65     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by I heart Egypt:
quote:
Originally posted by bosox65:
get a life

I have one! And I am happy to say it doesn't involve sending money to my husband in Egypt and listening to him beg for it. Thank you dear!
But your life involves making up false id's for the sole purpose of baiting me? I guess I should be flattered that you've gone to all this trouble over me. [Smile] Thank you so much for your hard work! Do you dream about me as well or is this just a daytime hobby of yours? [Razz]
Posts: 20 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lumos
Member # 14589

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Lumos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my, another 'stalker and baiter' of poor old Doodlebug. 'I heart Egypt'...better watch out or you will be falsely accused of hacking her yahoo; [Roll Eyes] ringing her at work; [Roll Eyes] and God knows what other lies. I have little time for trolls but clearly Doodlebug knows whom you are. Please enlighten the rest of us?
Posts: 1157 | From: Censor - Edit - Delete, but you will never take away my FREEDOM! | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vader-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder who the two users that gave him 5 stars are. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 6335 | From: Straight to my heart. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bosox65
Member # 14647

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Lumos:
Oh my, another 'stalker and baiter' of poor old Doodlebug. 'I heart Egypt'...better watch out or you will be falsely accused of hacking her yahoo; [Roll Eyes] ringing her at work; [Roll Eyes] and God knows what other lies. I have little time for trolls but clearly Doodlebug knows whom you are. Please enlighten the rest of us?

I assumed it was you. Again I'm flattered. [Smile] Do you get dizzy talking to yourself though? [Eek!]
Lumos
Member # 14589

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Lumos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You really don't get how utterly stupid you look, do you, Doodlebug? I pity you...you are a sad, sad person who is so desperate for validation that you see even criticism as flattery. [Roll Eyes] 'IHE' is absolutely right about you. [Frown]
Posts: 1157 | From: Censor - Edit - Delete, but you will never take away my FREEDOM! | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bosox65
Member # 14647

Rate Member
quote:
You really don't get how utterly stupid you look, do you, Doodlebug? I pity you...you are a sad, sad person who is so desperate for validation that you see even criticism as flattery. [Roll Eyes] 'IHE' is absolutely right about you. [Frown]

I love you. [Smile]
I heart Egypt
Member # 14662

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for I heart Egypt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doodlebug-
I am not Lumos. Believe it or not, there is more than one person out there who sees through you.

I really wonder what is wrong with you on a regular basis. Are you seriously happy with your life married to a man who cried on the phone for you to send money when you are in such bad shape yourself. Maybe you should tend to your children so they don't turn out as messed up as you are.

Lumos
Member # 14589

Isn't it about time for you to run bleating to the mods now, Doodlebug? That's what you do, everytime someone tells you a truth you dislike. I pity you.
bosox65
Member # 14647

Rate Member
No reason for the mods. You both are just getting whatever it is you need to get out of your system. I hope it makes you feel better because I love you both so very much. [Smile]
Lumos
Member # 14589

Aw, shucks, Doodlebug...I'm touched by your insincerity. I thought there was only one of 'us'? You now see two? [Roll Eyes] [Eek!] Doodle, Doodle...please try to be consistent, over at least a few posts? Baby steps, shnookums ... baby steps! [Big Grin]
bokragirl
Member # 14684

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bokragirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Isn't it about time for you to run bleating to the mods now, Doodlebug? That's what you do, everytime someone tells you a truth you dislike. I pity you.

oh yes, classic doodle. she's quite well at tattling in other forms too. must have forgot to take her meds again
Posts: 82 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com