EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » time in egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: time in egypt
pandora
Member # 10146

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pandora     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i just visited egypt for the first time..while in luxor i met a younger man and we had the best time...we became intimate and spoke of the laws on this in egypt..i met his family who live in a small village and are quite poor by american standards but very happy... he asked for nothing and spent as much of his own hard earned money as he had on us while i was there...in america i don't have much myself, but am trying to save up to go for another visit..the cultures are distincly different, but i think that was part of the experience..i have read many of the posts on this subject and i still don't feel wary..everyone i met while there spoke highly of him and his honest nature..he was shy around other people but we got along so easily with one another..we still speak daily..i wonder..does anyone have info on how hard it is to get a passport/visa to travel to u.s. right now from egypt if you are a young arab muslim man...and i have read up on orfi as well as regular marraige in cairo..does age difference matter in cairo?
Posts: 98 | From: california | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sadeeqy
Member # 9759

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sadeeqy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You've just opened the Pandora's box! [Frown]
Posts: 1744 | From: Romania | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pandora
Member # 10146

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pandora     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how so? or are you being humorous...
Posts: 98 | From: california | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sadeeqy
Member # 9759

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sadeeqy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really wish you all the best, my young friend!

Performe a search in the older threads with what you're interested in and you will find the answers...

Posts: 1744 | From: Romania | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pandora
Member # 10146

Member Rated:
i would be the older friend, but thanks for the advice and i have researched back 5 years already..jus curious if there was any new advice out there...i am, as always, having such a happy life..woohoo..

--------------------
life life long, for it is short...pandora

_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

Icon 1 posted      Profile for _Masrawi_     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no restrictions on orfi marriage ... to the point that u don't even need witnesses in some cases!

having said that, i advise u to avoid the right for legal fornication known as orfi marriage.

Posts: 2049 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pandora
Member # 10146

Member Rated:
was wondering about cairo marriage and age difference more than orfi marraige, but thanks for the advice

--------------------

_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

Icon 1 posted      Profile for _Masrawi_     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pandora:
was wondering about cairo marriage and age difference more than orfi marraige, but thanks for the advice

fair enough ...

Age difference is not looked upon favorably in Egypt. Even a few years are not widely accepted.

Posts: 2049 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pandora
Member # 10146

Member Rated:
thanks..it's not looked upon favorably in u.s. either, especially if the woman is older..but it is not against the law here..heck, you don't have to do any paperwork here...over half of couples in u.s. just live together

--------------------

_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:
Originally posted by pandora:
thanks..it's not looked upon favorably in u.s. either, especially if the woman is older..but it is not against the law here..heck, you don't have to do any paperwork here...over half of couples in u.s. just live together

oh no, don't get me wrong ... it definitely does not break any laws. neither civil nor religious ones. just crosses cultural lines.
pandora
Member # 10146

Member Rated:
culure...let's hear it for upsetting the norms..woohoo!!

--------------------

pandora
Member # 10146

Member Rated:
culture...sounds like cult...let's hear it for upsetting the norms..woohoo!!

--------------------

Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok so you want a sexual relationship with a younger man from another culture/religion.
You have two choices to do it legally.
1)
Get married in Cairo at the Ministry of justice...this is the only way for a full legal marriage but when it all ends you will need a legal divorce.
2)
Get an ORFI contract at a lawyers office for legalised 'living together'. You can tear up the paper anytime, no legal formalities to end it.

Forget VISAs to US it's not going to happen.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malak
Member # 3654

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for malak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Pandora, Lots of infomation on the board regarding this. However, if you want your friend to go for a visa for a visit to the US, all you can do is try at the embassey. Lots of people have succeeded and lots have not. Its the luck of the draw. What you say your relationship is, how you can provide financially, money, length of stay etc.. will be looked at in detail at the embassey. Check the US website. I am from the UK, live/married and work in Egypt, however we still had have 3 or 4 interviews with the UK embassey for a 1 month holiday visa and we have been married 10 years! So you see, all you can do is try, there is no right way, back door way or wrong way to get a visa. Give honest information, and see what happens. Good Luck
Posts: 288 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here we go again!!! [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pandora
Member # 10146

Member Rated:
thanks malak...with the state of politics in the u.s. and the irrational fears of the right wing mentality..i think i will wait a bit (not that i expect it to get any better..just don't want to put out that kind of energy unless i am lucky enough to have spent 10 years in a good thing), but i agree, it is always the luck of the draw..wow! though that it was so hard to get a one month holiday..how was it for your husband to finally see the u.k.? how did he compare it to egypt? must have been very interesting for both of you..i know only being in egypt a short time that i saw the u.s. very differently upon returning...i wish the california wasn't a 24 hour plane trip away! and boy it's not cheap! sorry for putting you throough the same old stuff samia...

--------------------

Khadija_Diagne
Member # 10149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Khadija_Diagne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny:
Ok so you want a sexual relationship with a younger man from another culture/religion.
You have two choices to do it legally.
1)
Get married in Cairo at the Ministry of justice...this is the only way for a full legal marriage but when it all ends you will need a legal divorce.
2)
Get an ORFI contract at a lawyers office for legalised 'living together'. You can tear up the paper anytime, no legal formalities to end it.

Forget VISAs to US it's not going to happen.

[Frown] Is it really like that?? What is the big deal. If someone gets married, legally, how can the big bad bush deny a visa? Would he rather see more infidelity in the states? Why not let these women bring their men with them?
Pandora I think it is time that we get that coalition together [Cool]

Posts: 478 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mi feng
Member # 9378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mi feng     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It isn't really an issue of fidelity or infidelity. And it isn't "Bush."
The issue is that when you marry in Egypt and try to get a visa for your husband to come, he is coming into the country as a potential permanent resident. You have to show that you can support him financially for years. He is your problem, not the country's problem, in other words. They don't want to give a visa for someone to come into the country, married to a citizen, and start collecting welfare, basically. He can try for a temporary visa to visit you, good luck, but some can get them. He can come on a fiance visa, but that usually applies to people who have "cultural" considerations, such as arranged marriages. Or you can try to get him here your way.
Remember that if someone is already in the US, there are petitions you file that enables the "immigrant" to stay while the case is being heard. In that case, the immigrant is probably already working if the paperwork has been filed to allow him to work. His income can be added to yours in the petition to demonstrate that he is able to support himself in the US. Also, if he is already here, he, or you, may have made contacts that can provide additional references to his character.
When you try to move someone into the US as a spouse, the immigration department has to go through all the Homeland Security stuff, then accept your document verifying income and such, and also base their decision on interviews done there, and maybe of you here.
Most people, I believe, marrying in Egypt try to kill many birds with one stone by filing the initial petitions in Egypt after they marry. This requires you to do your spousal visa interview IN EGYPT at the US embassy. The only problem with that is that you are dealing with the US embassy in Egypt, which seems to operate half on Egyptian time, in terms of prejudices and attitude, and half on American time, in terms of the amount of paperwork required.
So those are some of the issues.
It is a good idea to familiarize yourself with the process.
In the US you would appproach the immigration proceedings with a good immigration lawyer. If you try to do it in Egypt you may not have the same resources.

Posts: 1161 | From: wo xiang xiao bian ji si le | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khadija_Diagne
Member # 10149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Khadija_Diagne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you!!! Now I have been informed.
I should have know it was all about the greenbacks

Thanks Queen Bee

Posts: 478 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its also about if the guy is good enough to be in the USA.

If he isn't quality enough to get the visa on his own merits then he shouldn't be in the country.

But the same should go for mail order brides. When the mail order bride gets here there is a very good chance that she will be abused like crazy by her husband who brought her over here.

And once the marriage goes in the wrong direction it takes needed human services resources away from American citizen women.

Yet a number of abused mail order brides have moved off assistance and became very successful contributors to America. You just can't tell with an immigrant until they have been here for 5 years.

I've seen a number of cabana boys come over with a money bag old wife and just skip to the next woman or man to keep his pockets jingling.

Somehow the mail order brides do better than the cabana boys!

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pandora
Member # 10146

Member Rated:
Queen Bee..that was a very good synopsis of what you's be up against...It is not just Egypt where is is difficult to come from..I have friends here in U.S. that came over after the fall of the Shah of Iran and have spent 13 years trying to become citizens..They luckily have permanent visa now, but it took years and years ..they still do not have citizenship...I hope all the best for those trying...it is an adventure and takes the greenbacks as Khadija said...

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com