EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Single man forever?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Single man forever?
The Unknown
Member # 9993

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Unknown   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last night while having a drink at a Starbuck I heard 3 of my Egyptian girlfriends talking about how difficult is for a poor or average man in Egypt to marry but what I thought was alarming was that they all agreed that the difficulty for most man to marry (since most of them are poor) has something to do with the high level of rape cases in Egypt.
They said that Taboo combined with ignorance and lack of tolerance has driven woman to be victims of this barbarian behaviour. How much of this is true?, does the police act upon reported cases or do they treat it with indifference, also if this is all true then there's more single man in Egypt than sand.

Posts: 10 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Unknown
Member # 9993

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Unknown   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone...?
Posts: 10 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd be interested to read what people have to say as well....

I just don't know enough to contribute! [Smile]

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barbapapa
Member # 10031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbapapa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always felt very safe in Egypt, even late at night, I have never felt scared. In my country I never walk alone at night. So I'm a bit surprised by what you mention, but maybe Egyptians have heard something about it. Maybe it's more in the countryside? But anyway, girls are very rarely left alone, there is always a friend or a relative walking with them, so I don't really know how this could happen.
Posts: 531 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The majority of rapes – in any country – is committed by a person whom the victim knows already. Contrary to what many people think rape in the street is not very common.

(There was a lengthy discussion about this a while ago, you might find it if you use the search function.)

So even if the above said is / was true, you're observation is right – Egypt is a very safe country and in most places you can walk around alone as a woman, even at night.
[Cool]

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barbapapa
Member # 10031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbapapa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're right Dalia, I was rather thinking of a rape committed in the street.
But if this kind of rapes (among relatives/friends) doas happen, the consequences for the girl must be awful (not a virgin anymore, and maybe no compassion from her family). What do you think?

Posts: 531 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In her memoirs, *Reading Lolita in Tehran,* Azar Nafisi describes a young girl who was repeatedly raped by her uncle in the house because he wanted to remain *pure* for his future wife. [Confused]

Does *that* type of attitude exist at all in Egypt?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/081297106X/103-2802923-5112618?v=glance&n=283155

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Unknown:
Last night while having a drink at a Starbuck I heard 3 of my Egyptian girlfriends talking about how difficult is for a poor or average man in Egypt to marry but what I thought was alarming was that they all agreed that the difficulty for most man to marry (since most of them are poor) has something to do with the high level of rape cases in Egypt.
They said that Taboo combined with ignorance and lack of tolerance has driven woman to be victims of this barbarian behaviour. How much of this is true?, does the police act upon reported cases or do they treat it with indifference, also if this is all true then there's more single man in Egypt than sand.

What I find so blatanly odd is the fact that an Egyptian admitted to there being crime in Egypt, let alone rape.

I have been through quite a few books on the judicial court system in Egypt and rape and murder are actually just as common in Egypt as it is the west.

I was under the impression that Egyptians don't admit to these facts in the presence of khawagaas.

I know about it, I just won't rub it in anyone's face.

And I don't consider it due to the difficulty to marry. Its due to societial beliefs that women ask for it.

See our societies have more in common than most would think. (and yes that was sarcasm).

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
[

I don't know what marriage of a poor man has to do with a high (?????) level of rape cases (where did you get that from?). Do you try to say that these men can't find a wife because all the girls got raped before? [Confused]

And yes, you are right there are too many single men in Egypt, they can't afford to marry an Egyptian woman and so they go for the foreign ones (with exceptions of course).

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

They said that Taboo combined with ignorance and lack of tolerance has driven woman to be victims of this barbarian behaviour.

Okay, as you all know, English is just my second language. But what does this statement means? Thanks.
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Die Tatsache, dass Sexualität in Ägypten tabuisiert wird, sowie Unwissenheit, Mangel an Bildung und fehlende Toleranz führen dazu, dass Frauen Opfer dieses barbarischen Verhaltens werden.
Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Unknown
Member # 9993

Rate Member
Barbapapa, according to my friends the reason why females don't go out alone is precisely to avoid something like this to happen.
Sonomod, no need for sarcasm...., one of the girls is actually my girlfriend and I know that rape happens everywhere but what shocked me is the fact that this type of crime are not treated with the seriouness that it deserves.
At first I thought that my girlfriend was exaggerating which is why I posted this. Do you mind to tell me what the word Khawagaas means?.
Thanks for all the feedbacks.

sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Sonomod, no need for sarcasm...., one of the girls is actually my girlfriend and I know that rape happens everywhere but what shocked me is the fact that this type of crime are not treated with the seriouness that it deserves.

At first I thought that my girlfriend was exaggerating which is why I posted this. Do you mind to tell me what the word Khawagaas means?.

Khawagaa means white nigger, or foreigner of the western type.
Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

Icon 1 posted      Profile for _Masrawi_     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the rape u r referring to is known as date rape. and that is the most common kind of rape in egypt. and yes, it is much more common than we would like to believe.

having said that, i also fail to see the link between not getting marrying / going out alone and worrying about date rape. it doesn't happen in the street u know ... it happens behind closed doors. when guys misread the situation out of bad cultural beliefs that have been infested in them. particularly, the imbecilic belief that any woman that is willing to be with him behind closed doors would easily do it with any other man and she is therefore a whore.

yes, yes, yes ... we have problems in egypt.

Posts: 2049 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had heard of that word too from the ES boards but never knew what it meant. In my handy dandy Egyptian Arabic phrase book it says it means foreigner. I never heard an actual Egyptian use that word.

quote:
Originally posted by sonomod:
quote:
Do you mind to tell me what the word Khawagaas means?.

Khawagaa means white nigger, or foreigner of the western type. [/QB]

Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nooralhaq20055
Member # 9255

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nooralhaq20055     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's odd they might rape is the reason for the difficulty of poor men in Egypt finding it difficult to marry, the women here ask for much from men who are not always able to give them what they ask. I won't say it's greed, I'm sure some of it exists, but definitely one girl doesn't want to be outdone by the other girl. I've been in Egypt now for 3 months and find it hilarious the way the women here act about marriage (although I rarely voice that opinion except to my husband~I am American~)...
that being said, I would be interested to know how anybody could make a correlation between being poor, difficulty marrying and rape...

Noor

Posts: 1074 | From: Menufia, Egypt | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Nooralhaq20055:
the women here ask for much from men who are not always able to give them what they ask. I won't say it's greed, I'm sure some of it exists, but definitely one girl doesn't want to be outdone by the other girl. I've been in Egypt now for 3 months and find it hilarious the way the women here act about marriage (although I rarely voice that opinion except to my husband~I am American~)...

How do you know what's being said? Are you fluent in Arabic?

I can count 20 people fluent enough to translate Arabi to English in Shebin. Most of these people are women. There is no way on God's green earth that any of these people would translate this for you.

My brother-in-law is one of 5 English instructors in all of Shebin. Private tutors are being taxi'd in by the parents to help their chidren's english skills.

Really Noor, there is no way on God's green earth you've had any of this explained to you in Shebin.

Nooralhaq20055
Member # 9255

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nooralhaq20055     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my brother in law is also one of the English instructors in all of Shebin, what your point is , that is beyond me~
Posts: 1074 | From: Menufia, Egypt | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

[Big Grin] Maybe you two are related by marriage now. [Big Grin]
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
my brother in law is also one of the English instructors in all of Shebin, what your point is , that is beyond me~

He, he, he, he ....

Now where does he teach?

Which school, I want the name of the school and the level.

sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
I think it's odd they might rape is the reason for the difficulty of poor men in Egypt finding it difficult to marry, the women here ask for much from men who are not always able to give them what they ask. I won't say it's greed, I'm sure some of it exists, but definitely one girl doesn't want to be outdone by the other girl. I've been in Egypt now for 3 months and find it hilarious the way the women here act about marriage (although I rarely voice that opinion except to my husband~I am American~)...
that being said, I would be interested to know how anybody could make a correlation between being poor, difficulty marrying and rape...

Noor

To add to the inquiry, how many students in the class he teaches? How often in a week does a particular class meet?

Is your brother-in-law required to any other course besides english?

What does the textbook look like?

How many private lessons does he give a week?

When is the end of the school year, and what kind of sports does he direct during the summer months, how many times a week does summer activities meet?

Also where did your brother-in-law test to earn his certificate in teaching English?

Oh and how long does it take your brother-in-law to make it to work?

And how many years has he been teaching?

_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

Icon 1 posted      Profile for _Masrawi_     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Noor

i kinda agree with u on the "Egyptian women being demanding" part ...
Posts: 2049 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sadeeqy
Member # 9759

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sadeeqy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Now where does he teach?
To add to the inquiry, how many students in the class he teaches?
When is the end of the school year, and what kind of sports does he direct during the summer months, how many times a week does summer activities meet?
Also where did your brother-in-law test to earn his certificate in teaching English?

Now i finally understand why they've called you the FBI agent..... [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Posts: 1744 | From: Romania | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nooralhaq20055
Member # 9255

Member Rated:
Sonomod I would rather shove red hot needles in my eyes than give you too much information about me. You seem to have the time, do the footwork yourself Sherlock~
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
Sonomod I would rather shove red hot needles in my eyes than give you too much information about me. You seem to have the time, do the footwork yourself Sherlock~

Noor, you are lying. I know you are lying.

But hey, I asked questions this time to where you cannot extract any information from.

And besides that resturant across from the police station headquarters. I want you to tell me the name of the resturant and what kind of food they serve. And the ownership make-up. Basically who is working there and their faith.

The resturant question I had extended to you at least 5 times before and its impersonal, along with a number of other impersonal questions. Which none of them you can answer.

Tough luck, if your internet-chat sweetie understood enough English maybe he could fill you in on the resturant question and other impersonal questions about Shebin.

sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Sadeeqy:
quote:

Now where does he teach?
To add to the inquiry, how many students in the class he teaches?

Now i finally understand why they've called you the FBI agent..... [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
So many frauds so little time.
Nooralhaq20055
Member # 9255

Member Rated:
Once again Sonomod you are just embarrassing yourself. Too many of my friends here on ES know factually where I am and about my husband's family, one of them keeps correspondence with my brother in law. You never cease to keep us laughing about your assumptions.

Remember, silence is golden. The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but to be able to hold your tongue in one language is priceless. You might try it [Wink]

_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

ladies ladies ladies ... keep going, i am loving this.
Corvinous
Member # 6578

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Corvinous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS [Mad]
Posts: 3903 | From: The Moon | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nooralhaq20055
Member # 9255

Member Rated:
[Roll Eyes]
I'm done with this Masrawi,
it's getting old making replys on this
forum and having someone harrass you; it
gets pretty old and boring~
[Roll Eyes]

_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:
[Roll Eyes]
[Roll Eyes]

what about us? the fans? no consideration for us? [Roll Eyes]
Nooralhaq20055
Member # 9255

Member Rated:
lol don't worry
I'm sure once I leave
there will be a new cat fight
somewhere [Wink]

take care all goodnight!

sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
Once again Sonomod you are just embarrassing yourself. Too many of my friends here on ES know factually where I am and about my husband's family, one of them keeps correspondence with my brother in law. You never cease to keep us laughing about your assumptions.

Remember, silence is golden. The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but to be able to hold your tongue in one language is priceless. You might try it [Wink]

Quoting other people isn't going to make you appear more prudent to others.

And I have recieved emails regarding your sharades. Not convincing to many, but they are quite afriad for your emotional stablity so they won't intentionally trigger your weaknesses like I would.

I hate frauds.

And you Noor are a fraud.

sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
lol don't worry
I'm sure once I leave
there will be a new cat fight
somewhere [Wink]

take care all goodnight!

Going to bed that early?

haven't even adjusted your lies to Shebin schedules. [Roll Eyes]

sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by _Masrawi_:
quote:
[Roll Eyes]
[Roll Eyes]

There will be more frauds after tourism high season is over.

Just wait, the smell of sour love, gigilos cahchinging, and senior gentleladies cries in the air.....

Tis is the season! [Big Grin]

Merima
Member # 9658

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Merima     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
[QUOTE]To add to the inquiry, how many students in the class he teaches? How often in a week does a particular class meet?

Is your brother-in-law required to any other course besides english?

Wow, Sono! the Inquisitors back in the times could have learnt a lot from you. [Eek!] [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 173 | From: Germany | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by _Masrawi_:
quote:
[Roll Eyes]
[Roll Eyes]

There will be more frauds after tourism high season is over.

Just wait, the smell of sour love, gigilos cahchinging, and senior gentleladies cries in the air.....

Tis is the season! [Big Grin]

I take it i am back just in time!
Nooralhaq20055
Member # 9255

Member Rated:
[Frown]
Nooralhaq20055
Member # 9255

Member Rated:
quote:
[Frown]

The Unknown
Member # 9993

Rate Member
Damn Sonomod..!! is that what you are? a white nigger with a huge camel toe?
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
Damn Sonomod..!! is that what you are? a white nigger with a huge camel toe?

No, unlike Noor I have a legal relationship with an Egyptian man distinctly makes me less of a khawagaa.

But honestly, why put your alligence behind a fraud?

foreignluvr
Member # 5854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foreignluvr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do agree that it would be pretty simple to give you the name of the resturant you were
asking about. It's not like that would be providing you with private information about herself. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 895 | From: Atlanta, GA. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by sin-dee:
I do agree that it would be pretty simple to give you the name of the resturant you were
asking about. It's not like that would be providing you with private information about herself. [Roll Eyes]

Thank-you.

And it would surprise the heck out of you if you knew the details about the resturant. Every foreigner is pulled in the place.

Nooralhaq20055
Member # 9255

Member Rated:
quote:

why sindee? to prove to a hateful person I am where I say I am?? as if I care...
I let the dogs stay where they belong

sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

why sindee? to prove to a hateful person I am where I say I am?? as if I care...

And a dog like you Noor belong in Dallas.

Exactly where you are now.

foreignluvr
Member # 5854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foreignluvr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Actually Noor I am just curious about this resturant. I guess its your choice not to answer but it was a very simple inquiry/request. If it were me I would simply answer, and yes, i would answer to prove that I was where i said I was...
Posts: 895 | From: Atlanta, GA. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Actually Noor I am just curious about this resturant. I guess its your choice not to answer but it was a very simple inquiry/request. If it were me I would simply answer, and yes, i would answer to prove that I was where i said I was...
she is in egypt there is no doubt about that
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

sheesh ... like who gives a rat's ass.
The Unknown
Member # 9993

Rate Member
I'm sorry but this is a little inmature, who cares if she's in Mars, Pluto or China?.
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by 7ayat- mesh tayka nafsi:
quote:
quote:
quote:

she is in egypt there is no doubt about that
What proof does she have?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com