EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Rights of a non moslim married with an Egyptain!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rights of a non moslim married with an Egyptain!
lion74
Member # 16967

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lion74     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just joined this forum and i have some questions concerning ''Rights of a non Egyptian married to Egyptian'', many things are said about this and it looks if we don't have any rights, i know each case is different that's why i have some questions and I really would appriciate if someone could give me clear answers
I am a non-momslim foreigner, married with an Egyptian since 3 years and we have 1 daughter of 3 years old.
My husbands mother is still alive and he has 1 sister.
In our marriage contract is nothing written except i will get 1 le in case of a divorce [Smile] ))

our daughter has the egyptian aswell as a european nationality. I applied for the egyptian nationality whithout losing my nationality and this i will receive next year.

I am still christian and was this 2 in the time that we get married so
1. If I (a foreigner women non-moslim) convert now 2 islam, will I inherit when my husband will suddenly die? Do we need to adjust this in the marriage contract?
2. Do I need 2 registrate it somewhere if I convert and yes where ?
3. If i will be a moslim can they take my child in case of sudden death or divorce? what/which rights do I have ?
4. If I convert 2 islam in my own country (europe) is it legal in Egypt, what i mean is do they recognise the certificate?
5. I have my bank account, in case of sudden death or divorce can my husband, relatives... take or let block my account?

I am waiting for your answer in the mean time i already thank everyone in advance

Posts: 4 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo Ning Min E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome.
Never been in your situation, but have been told that should your husband make a will, [witnessed by 2 male Moslems] it will be upheld in court.
A lawyer, for a small fee can have this will registered. you will be given a copy with all the correct government stamps.
Nobody can legally take your child in either of the cases you suggest.
Nor can anyone touch your bank account.If your husband dies, and you need to get your hands on his bank account, you will need a will, registered.
If anything truly awful happens, be wary of agreeing to a 'power of attorney' unless it is very limited in scope.
I'm not a lawyer, not even an Egyptian, but pretty sure this is correct.
There are ladies on here you can trust to give a wellinformed opinion, and no doubt thay will.
And stop worrying, woman!

Posts: 1399 | From: alexandria | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lion74
Member # 16967

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lion74     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear,
Many thanks for your quick reply but Unfortunately as a non-moslim foreigner you don't have any rights (at least not that i am aware of). My embassy told me in case of sudden death i will not inherit and in case of divorce ny husband/relatives can take my children and can forbid me to go out of the country, when i do leave/escape to my own country they will pick me up because it's kidnapping with all its consequences.
I know when you are a moslim the kids can stay till a certain age (boy 10 years/girl 12 years) in case of divorce or sudden death so at least if i can't leave the country i can rease them by myself and in case of sudden death i can inherit a bit 2.
I hope there is a lawyer on this forum to clear things out and to give if possible a solution so i can stop worrying i can't live with the idea that anybody can take my kids away in 2 minutes without hearing the mother.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
princesslotus
Member # 16515

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for princesslotus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it had been thought before being married !there are not warns enough against this !
Posts: 6 | From: france | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CanadaEgyptLawyer
Member # 16694

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CanadaEgyptLawyer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why did you take the nationality?? You will not have assistance from your consulate if you have problem with the law in Egypt. You may not be first in line for an evacuation should one be necessary.

--------------------
Immigration Solutions

Posts: 10 | From: Canada - Kuwait - Egypt | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lion74
Member # 16967

Rate Member
Dear,
Many thanks princesslotus but from your answer i don't buy anything, i came on the forum just for information not 2 be criticized. Thanks God i have a lovely husband but i see many bad situations around me and it makes me wonder that's all.
Canadaegyptlawyer i will keep my nationality and the egyptian is a second one, i called the embassy and there is not any problem even if i should need help from them (anyway if i only have my nationality they can't do anything in case of emergency)
I just wanted to know if it makes a different if i convert concerning keeping my children with me.
Have a nice evening all and thanks for your reply

akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should check your passport

"Nationals who are also nationals of another country cannot be protected against the authorities of that country."

If you take Egyptian nationality then the Canadians can do nothing to help you in Egypt

--------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lion74:
Dear,
Many thanks princesslotus but from your answer i don't buy anything, i came on the forum just for information not 2 be criticized.

Oh wow, easy tiger!! PL made a perfect point here. All these questions you are asking right now you should have asked them before you got married to your Muslim husband.

IMHO consult a professional lawyer to address certain issues and hopefully very soon your worries will ease.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lion74
Member # 16967

Rate Member
Dear,
Tigerlily and PL i know you have a point and i will not denie that but i never thought about it till now, i just see one of my friends in big problems and she can't move any step, no hair on my head was thinking that someone can take your child like this! So that's why i am looking for some info, in the mean time i am a lot more wiser now (not every answer is cleared yet, concerning convertion), my husband talked to his lawyer and will make for us a will so we can both feel well about all of this.
And Akshar by the way i am not canadian so for my case i will always keep my nationality as first and than the egyptian one, it will also not be registrated for my embassy that i have a second naionality concerning protection i don't have anything to fear and this they wrote me in a letter so you see each case is different.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com