EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Early Islamic Marriage

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Early Islamic Marriage
roqayya
Member # 16255

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for roqayya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a 17 year old American, and engaged to a 23 year old egyptian man. We are both muslim, and would like to get married islamically, before we can legally be married when I turn 18. I don't worry about rights or anything, not being legally married yet. All I would like to know is, are there any shaekhs who would be willing to marry us? I know that many require a legal contract before agreeing to marry a couple. We want to marry in egypt, at a nice mosque. Do you think this is possible?
Posts: 28 | From: United States | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kalila : )
Member # 14517

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kalila : )         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you bloody crazy? 17 and you wanna get married? And your not worried about your rights?
legally you have to be 18 to marry in Egypt islamically. Do you have somewere to live? will you be allowed to work? were will you be living?
America or Egypt? personally i think you are MAD
really you need to take a step back and think about this for at least another 5 years Geez your'e still a child [Eek!]

Posts: 3945 | From: ' Res Contr ' Amor non es guirens, lai on sos poders s'atura | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clear and QSY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You do NOT have to have the legal marriage before the religious ceremony. What happens in the mosque (religious ceremony) is know as the contract signing. This can be done in the mosque or at another location and can take place before or after the legal marriage in Egypt. (However, in the US you may be required to have a marriage license already in hand prior to this.)

As far as getting married before you turn 18, would depend on the rules of the location you plan to marry. Rules in the States vary so the mosque or church would have to comply with the state laws. I'm not exactly sure how it would work in Egypt since technically your "guardian" or parent is not a citizen of the country. According to this website on the Islamic marriage contract you have to be an adult. I believe Egypt recognizes 18 as the legal age for adulthood - someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Here is more information on getting married in Egypt.

Posts: 1626 | From: whatever, wherever | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roqayya
Member # 16255

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for roqayya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, but I mean RELIGIOUSLY - not legally. You think an imam or shaekh would marry us, even though we can't legally marry yet? Maybe he would, if we wrote a temporary contract at the masjid?

--------------------
Alslam Alykom

Posts: 28 | From: United States | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
roqayya... are you sure you're not confusing Islamic marriage with orfi marriage??
They're 2 totally different things.

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clear and QSY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mamasue:
roqayya... are you sure you're not confusing Islamic marriage with orfi marriage??
They're 2 totally different things.

I don't think she is confusing Islamic with Orfi, but I don't think she fully understands what Islamic marriage is. You can tell by the way she said we want to "marry in a nice mosque". She talks as someone planning a big church wedding - you know we'll find a nice little church somewhere...

In Islam there is no official wedding ceremony - only the katb ik kitab - or the contract signing. What she probably doesn't know either, is that most Egyptian Muslims don't consider themselves married after this point. Very few, if any at all, consumate the marriage after this point or even consider themselves married until they have had the legal marriage and big huge wedding party that goes along with it. Simply having the signed contract is not enough to live together, check into a hotel together, etc.

I'm not going to criticize her for wanting to get married at 17 - it's a free country. At least the one she lives in is. But I just really get the feeling she doesn't have a clue what is going on.

Posts: 1626 | From: whatever, wherever | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kalila : )
Member # 14517

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kalila : )         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Ministry of Common Sense:

But I just really get the feeling she doesn't have a clue what is going on. [/QB]

I must say i sgree with you [Frown]
Posts: 3945 | From: ' Res Contr ' Amor non es guirens, lai on sos poders s'atura | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey Kalila : ) long time no talk to hows my girl [Wink]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kalila : ):
quote:
Originally posted by The Ministry of Common Sense:

But I just really get the feeling she doesn't have a clue what is going on.

I must say i sgree with you [Frown] [/QB]
Me too!! She's just going by what he's told her... and ready to believe anything!
And, IMHO, 17 IS FAR too young to be starting a marriage in a country with a guy she knows very little about, in a country she obviously knows nothing about!!!

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kentuckyD
Member # 13076

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kentuckyD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter married in Egypt at age 16 but she is Christian and he is muslim. They have been married 2 years now. He now lives in the states. But they had alot of support to get them to where they are. It took a year of paper work and waiting for him to come here, and another 5 months to get working full time, get a drivers license and a car. Now they are sailing on their own. They saved money and went on a trip to Egypt for 2 weeks, just 2 weeks ago they got back and had a blast seeing his family and friends again.
Posts: 45 | From: Kentucky USA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
weirdkitty
Member # 15365

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for weirdkitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
And, IMHO, 17 IS FAR too young to be starting a marriage in a country with a guy she knows very little about, in a country she obviously knows nothing about!!!
When I was 17, I was going to college, hanging out with friends, and working part time in mcdonalds. I wouldn't have changed any of that for the world, you are only a careless teen once.

--------------------
Another one....

Posts: 2573 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com