EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Marriage to Egyptian Man

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Marriage to Egyptian Man
solvig
Member # 7647

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for solvig     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everybody,

I am new to this side even though I have been in Egypt for nearly 2 years now.
I would like to enquire if anybody has experience marriage to an Egyptian man.
I read from former Topics that one lady mentioned she got married in Lazoughy Square in Cairo where the Ministry of Justice is.
She mentioned she only need to make a declaration that she is legally single which she obtained from the British Council even though she was not british,
I am a bit in a dilemma. I am German and asked the German embassy many many times on this subject an they advised that I need to have a formal declaration from Germany that I have never been married. This is impossible to me as I have been residing for 15 years in Britain from the age of 22 onwards.
There are so many option of what to do and quite frankly I dont trust the people at the embassies as most of the times they dont even know what time of the day it is.
Can anybody clarify this situation what I have to do.
My boyfriend and myself have been dating for 3 years and he proposed marriage some while ago.
Thanks all and have a fantastic day
xxxx

Posts: 21 | From: United kingdom | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
spasm
Member # 12981

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for spasm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You need to bring them a proof stating that you’re not currently married , and if you used to be married they also need to see a divorce certificate ,,, if you can’t obtain it from Germany , then you can try with the civil registration office in the UK ,,,,
I’ve been through all these complications until I finally got legally married and I’m ready to answer all your queries

--------------------
painter

Posts: 92 | From: cairo | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solvig
Member # 7647

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for solvig     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks spasm for your feedback.
I just wrote an e mail to the civil registration in uk so lets hope they let me have a response.
What you are ssying a sworn statment is not enough as one lady on this side said that is all she provided to the Ministry of Justice.
Unfortunately germany is not willing to provide such statment as I left at the age of 22 even though I am still holding german nationality. Some people are weird,really.

--------------------
solvig krause

Posts: 21 | From: United kingdom | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soozi
Member # 11108

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for soozi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have read different peoples accounts of what is required, and it seems to me that it all depends on how the embassy feels on that day!

I would expect that the UK would provide you with all the documents you require, as you have lived here for 15 years.

Good luck!

Posts: 836 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
spasm
Member # 12981

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for spasm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok , but they are liable to proof your status during those 22 years you spent in Germany , the registration office here will ask any one to proof his marital status in each country he/she lived in for more than six month or one year I can’t really remember ..
So without these certificates they won’t legalize your marriage
Don’t be amazed it took me 6 months to finish the whole thing

--------------------
painter

Posts: 92 | From: cairo | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solvig
Member # 7647

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for solvig     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi soozi, i found exactly the same and there is a truth in this statment it really depends on how they feel.
lets hope I get somwhere now as i have been pulling out my hair with the german embassy here in Cairo.
Good day!

--------------------
solvig krause

spasm
Member # 12981

Rate Member
soozi!?

--------------------
painter

soozi
Member # 11108

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for soozi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes??
Posts: 836 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
spasm
Member # 12981

Rate Member
sorry , sooz , i didn't notice your presence [Smile]
yes , i totally agree and their mood also differ according to the nationality of the foreign husband or wife

--------------------
painter

soozi
Member # 11108

Member Rated:
Ah, I had to read that a few times but I'm with you now!! Hahaha!
spasm
Member # 12981

Rate Member
Yes [Smile]

you are married to an Egyptian too ?

--------------------
painter

solvig
Member # 7647

Rate Member
where are you guys originally from ?
How do you find it here in cairo.
I am lonely and find a bit hard, people are not alwasy curteous towards foreigners in fact all they see in me is USd, Euro or English Pounds.

--------------------
solvig krause

Aya Hosni
Member # 10646

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aya Hosni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by solvig:
Hello everybody,

I am new to this side even though I have been in Egypt for nearly 2 years now.
I would like to enquire if anybody has experience marriage to an Egyptian man.
I read from former Topics that one lady mentioned she got married in Lazoughy Square in Cairo where the Ministry of Justice is.
She mentioned she only need to make a declaration that she is legally single which she obtained from the British Council even though she was not british,
I am a bit in a dilemma. I am German and asked the German embassy many many times on this subject an they advised that I need to have a formal declaration from Germany that I have never been married. This is impossible to me as I have been residing for 15 years in Britain from the age of 22 onwards.
There are so many option of what to do and quite frankly I dont trust the people at the embassies as most of the times they dont even know what time of the day it is.
Can anybody clarify this situation what I have to do.
My boyfriend and myself have been dating for 3 years and he proposed marriage some while ago.
Thanks all and have a fantastic day
xxxx

Hello solvig,

As i got u r citizen of Germany, just live in UK for a lot of years. Right?
Then it doesnt change anything- u need to get a reference from appropriate office in Germany. (donno how it is called there; here- Office of Citizenship and Migration. And then u can legalize this reference or statement in the Germany- at Consular department by Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Only this kind of statement will accept ur Embassy of Germany in Egypt. As follows, they will prepare necessary paper for Ministry of Justice saying that embassy accepts ur marriage with egyptian citizen. As i know it is the only way and i think German embassy told u right. Embassy cant give u data about ur family status, they can only help to legalize necessary statements.
Good luck for u!!!

Posts: 188 | From: Baltics | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solvig
Member # 7647

Rate Member
This is very helpful thanks very much.

--------------------
solvig krause

soozi
Member # 11108

Member Rated:
Spasm, no I'm not married to anyone - nobody wants me [Razz] [Big Grin] - I have just read everybody else's story!
spasm
Member # 12981

Rate Member
don't say so , sure someone is there for you ,
but you live here too , in cairo i mean ?

--------------------
painter

soozi
Member # 11108

Member Rated:
No, I'm in the north west of England! At least the sun is shining, but I wish I was in Cairo with you!
spasm
Member # 12981

Rate Member
but you have been here at least for a short visit , haven't you ?

--------------------
painter

soozi
Member # 11108

Member Rated:
Never to Cairo - I've spent time in Luxor and Aswan! Oooh Aswan - I love that place!
soozi
Member # 11108

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by solvig:
where are you guys originally from ?
How do you find it here in cairo.
I am lonely and find a bit hard, people are not alwasy curteous towards foreigners in fact all they see in me is USd, Euro or English Pounds.

How long have you been living in Cairo Solvig? Do you not have any other European friends to spend time with? I can imagine it being lonely if not! [Frown]
spasm
Member # 12981

Rate Member
And ever since your visit you have been coming to this forum ? you must’ve liked Egypt very much then [Smile]
You are welcome to come here at any time dear , but let it be in winter:)

--------------------
painter

soozi
Member # 11108

Member Rated:
Hey, I might take you up on that offer and come and visit one day!!!!! Hahaha!

I have done Egypt in July - last July in Aswan was tremendously hot - but well worth it!

So, how long have you been in Cairo? And how are you finding it?

Bubblesperson
Member # 12454

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bubblesperson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Solvig!!!

You need a 'Ehefähigkeitszeugnis' - to obtain which you need to supply all the paperwork of your future spouse, ie. his certified passport copy, birth certificate and certificate that he is unmarried, all translated from Arabic by certified translator and legalised - from the 'Standesamt' of the last town where you were registered (angemeldet), even though you lived abroad for many years.

This works on the premise that had you got married in England or elsewhere, this marriage would have had to be registered at the Standesamt of your last place of abode, too, even in your absence... Hence this Standesamt will always know your status...

So collect all the papers for fiance, have them translated and legalised, send off all to this Standesamt with request for 'Ehefähigkeitszeugnis' - this takes about 6 - 8 weeks to be issued - once you receive the Ehefähigkeitszeugnis, you take that to the German Embassy, who will give you their certificate in Arabic, and with that you head to the Shar El Khary and marry...

Marriage certificate goes back to Embassy, they will acknowledge your marriage - but YOU have to inform your Standesamt yourself for the marriage to be registered in Germany, too...

Good luck and all best wishes for your marriage!!!
Bubble

Posts: 144 | From: Egypt/Europe | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
spasm
Member # 12981

Rate Member
Actually I’m half Egyptian but never actually lived here , until I was 28:) now i'm 33
Well,Egypt is very fine but the difference between social standards is very huge …
And I believe that this is the only negative impression I have regarding Cairo

--------------------
painter

soozi
Member # 11108

Member Rated:
Bubble - You know everything [Wink]
LaZeeZ
Member # 10655

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaZeeZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bubblesperson:
Hello Solvig!!!
you head to the Shar El Khary and marry...

[Big Grin]
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aya Hosni
Member # 10646

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aya Hosni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bubblesperson:
Hello Solvig!!!

You need a 'Ehefähigkeitszeugnis' - to obtain which you need to supply all the paperwork of your future spouse, ie. his certified passport copy, birth certificate and certificate that he is unmarried, all translated from Arabic by certified translator and legalised - from the 'Standesamt' of the last town where you were registered (angemeldet), even though you lived abroad for many years.

This works on the premise that had you got married in England or elsewhere, this marriage would have had to be registered at the Standesamt of your last place of abode, too, even in your absence... Hence this Standesamt will always know your status...

So collect all the papers for fiance, have them translated and legalised, send off all to this Standesamt with request for 'Ehefähigkeitszeugnis' - this takes about 6 - 8 weeks to be issued - once you receive the Ehefähigkeitszeugnis, you take that to the German Embassy, who will give you their certificate in Arabic, and with that you head to the Shar El Khary and marry...

Marriage certificate goes back to Embassy, they will acknowledge your marriage - but YOU have to inform your Standesamt yourself for the marriage to be registered in Germany, too...

Good luck and all best wishes for your marriage!!!
Bubble

As i understand, she plans to marry in Egypt. What papers for fiance are u talking about???? My husband needed only his ID!
Posts: 188 | From: Baltics | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
spasm
Member # 12981

Rate Member
yes , this is true if the husband is having the Egyptain nationality , he needs only a local ID and a couple of photos to be glued later on the marriage certificate

--------------------
painter

Aya Hosni
Member # 10646

Bubble- u mean there is a possibility to get this statementabout not married by post, just sending necessary papers to this 'Standesamt'????
spasm
Member # 12981

Rate Member
Bubble went for a bath [Smile]

--------------------
painter

kentuckyD
Member # 13076

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kentuckyD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your 16 and never been married before and planning on marrying in Egypt, what proof do you get that you have never been married before and where do you get that proof?
Posts: 45 | From: Kentucky USA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you 16?
Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bubblesperson
Member # 12454

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bubblesperson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, sweet ladies!!!!

You should all repeat dear Soozi's line 100times- 'Bubble knows everything', hahaha... Well, I sure do now THIS, though, experience of German friends marrying Egyptians IN Egypt...

(And Bubble did not go for a bubble bath, hahaha, but to school teaching, meaning to be tortured by students, am knackered now...).

Dear Spasm and Aya Hosni - HI!!! - I think the confusion is what does the Egy fiance need for Shar El Khary for the EGYPTIANS....

However, the question is what does Solvig, the German citizen, need to obtain HER certificate of marital status... And this is ALWAYS issued by the registry office (Standesamt) of the town one is (or was last) registered in as living there.

Okay, when applying for this certificate to register the banns and make wedding appointment, Germans ALWAYS like to know WHO one is marrying, ie. their status and that all is legal. IF a German marries a German, they wouldn't even know all this checking is going on, since officials do it all on computer where they have ALL info on all Germans...

But obviously in cases of foreign spouses this info is not available, hence the German national, in order to be issued with the certificate of marital status (EHEFÄHIGKEITSZEUGNIS, which means as much as 'Certificate of marriage ABILITY', always makes me laugh, this!!! Now if they are all so 'able', how come there are still divorces in Germany...) NEEDS to supply all the necessary info on spouse...

This is why all of those papers are needed - translated and legalised... Only THEN after receipt and due checking of all this, will the Standesamt issue this certificate, which albeit, is in German. That is why one takes it to the German Embassy in Cairo, who give one the same thing stamped by them in ARABIC - and then with this one goes to the Shar El Khary for wedding..

Afterwards one takes Arabic wedding certificate back there for the Embassy to confirm that his wedding took place and all is legal...

However, as far as I know the Embassy does NOT inform the German authorities /Standesamt themselves, one needs to take or send this last paper to the relevant Standesamt oneself to have the marriage properly recognised and registered inside Germany, too....

And yes, again as far as I know one does not need to show up in person to ask for this status-certificate to be issued, one can do it by registered mail - however, they might want a legalised copy of YOUR (the German) passport for verification, too...

If in doubt about exactly what papers are needed for spouse, ask Standesamt - but DEFINITELY birth certificate, copy of ID or passport and Egyptian certificate saying man is unmarried (or divorced), too..

So do allow 6-8 weeks alone for the Standesamt, plus however long it takes to get all his papers together and translated, then one day at German Embassy, THEN you head to Shar El Khary in Alex or Cairo...

(And now everyone do some nice kowtowing to meeee, hahaha, and repeat after Soozi - Bubble knows everything, Bubble is all-knowing, Bubble is just the wisest and nicest....).

Hope that sorts out all confusion,
love to all,
Bubble (all-knowing, great, wise and good)

Posts: 144 | From: Egypt/Europe | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bubblesperson
Member # 12454

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Bubblesperson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Lazeez!!!

Now what was so funny about that sentence?!?! I did not mean marry anyone you find milling around lonely in the corridors.. [Big Grin] [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin]

Greetings,
Bubble

kentuckyD
Member # 13076

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kentuckyD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No im not 16, my daughter is. Everyone here might know her as my heartwillgoon
Posts: 45 | From: Kentucky USA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mia ann
Member # 13024

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mia ann     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kentuckyD:

oh hell no! not this again. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 83 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hibbah
Member # 12156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hibbah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mia ann:
quote:

LOL.
Posts: 1967 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you encouraging or discouraging this marriage?

quote:

Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alchemist
Member # 12318

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alchemist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mia ann:
quote:

LMAO, you have been watching for a while.
Posts: 1879 | From: Going to Graceland | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antivillain
Member # 5359

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for antivillain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ugh!!!!!!
The insanity also known as ES!

Posts: 31 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solvig
Member # 7647

Rate Member
Well thanks bubble you seem to know a lot.
I better get cracking but my fiancees paper are all in order we already went through this process.
When he presented them to my safara they mentioned to him the papers are ok but i need my document saying that i have never been married as soozi and all the other kind people mentioned here.
I can see I have a big headache in front of me and a long way to go.
You people are all very nice on here and just to say THANK TO ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE BEEN REPLYING WITH REGARDS TO MY ENQUIRY.
Keep up all the good work.
love Solvig

--------------------
solvig krause

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com