EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » egyptian recipes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: egyptian recipes
tootsie
Member # 13946

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tootsie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is your egyptian man's favorite food ?
and can you please share the Recipe ?

Posts: 365 | From: Canada | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are lots of Egyptian recipes in the food section:

Favourite Egyptian Food

Or is this only about "our Egyptian men's" favourite food? Are people who don't own an Egyptian man allowed to participate? [Razz]

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tootsie
Member # 13946

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tootsie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the link-
Sure any one can participate- I just wanted to get some basic recipes and the average man's favorite. and see if their wives have figured out how to cook them. My poor husband has started to learn to cook his own food since I am not with me right now. poor man. lol

--------------------
Tootsie

Posts: 365 | From: Canada | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dubai Girl
Member # 15488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dubai Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Basterma (a type of cured meat, beef maybe?)Fried with Eggs and Ghee and loads of Egyptian bread to go with it.

Actually this is one of my favourites but it's a heart attack on a plate so I don't indulge too often [Big Grin]

My husband is a far far better cook than I am and he can make a feast out of the simplest of ingredients, he just randomly tries things and they always end up tasting lovely.

Even when he does italian cooking, or asian or whatever, it always tastse great even if he has never made that particular meal before.

Myself, I have a repertoire of about 10 recipes that I rotate regularly.. I space them out by ordering takeaways in between so he doesn't notice my lack of ability [Wink]

Posts: 500 | From: United Arab Emirates | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tootsie:

My poor husband has started to learn to cook his own food since I am not with me right now.

[Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

I wonder if your husband is also worrying that you have to cook your favourite dishes yourself since he is not there to prepare them for you.

As for the original question ... most Egyptians I know like the simple, traditional stuff. Mahshi, fuul, babaganough, scrambled eggs with veggies, salads, hummus, kushari etc. All of those are easy to make. I can't say much about the main dishes since they mostly contain meat, so I wouldn't cook them.

I have often cooked Indian food for Egyptian friends, and while they found it a bit unusual, they liked it very much.

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tootsie
Member # 13946

My husband is not worried that i am going hungry- he knows i can cook for myself.
My husband only recently took up cooking, and he is enjoying it, he is also starting to think he is a better cook then me. lol
What I wanted to know was of the western women married to egyptian men- have they attempted and were they successful with preparing their husband's favorite foods. What they found to be a challenge? did they find what they needed to prepare the dish- such as spices etc.? was it as good as mom's. ? ( highly doubtful)
I am also very lucky that my husband will eat anything and everything.
I just love to cook for him- He is so appreciative of my meals.

--------------------
Tootsie

tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well i do not have to live with one to know chicken is walids fav food.well anything he can put in his mouth is his fav.. especiall lab..

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband doesn't cook and he doesn't have to. So what?? [Confused]

Mine likes pasta and any German dishes.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
stuffed pigeon, gives them 'power' apparently [Big Grin]

Mine is a great cook, good job too because im not although he loves my lasagne.

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn-Bev*
Member # 15190

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn-Bev*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ayisha, does he like Walkers crisps sandwiches with Warburtons bread??!

[Smile]

Posts: 712 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
weirdkitty
Member # 15365

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for weirdkitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sam and I have to be the worst cooks there is. We cook all our meals together, and the only place that has halal things nearby is one tiny freeza in my local ASDA, and its all micro stuff!
However, he did try to make me tahini the other day as I loved it in Egypt, and I felt so sorry for him when it didn't taste right. He tried so hard [Frown]
I will have to start looking into the eagyptian food forum.

--------------------
Another one....

Posts: 2573 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dawn-Bev*:
ayisha, does he like Walkers crisps sandwiches with Warburtons bread??!

[Smile]

you have a cruel streak Dawn [Frown]
Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn-Bev*
Member # 15190

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn-Bev*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WK: I have a spare jar of egyptian tahini I can post to you !
Posts: 712 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
you better post the Walkers crisps and the Warburtons bread now you got me going Dawn! [Frown]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mahmouds fav is tuna mayo sandwiches!!!!

--------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love Koshari, funnily enough I have never eaten it in Egypt only here when I've cooked it for myself. Hubby doesn't like it so pointless making it for him (he doesn't know what he is missing!
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a book here in my hand called 'Egyptian Cookery' by Samia Abdennour.

Thought I would share that if folk wanted to make their fave Egyptian food.

Nothing really takes my fancy [Frown] Looks like cooking with the remnants most folk don't use!

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tibe still working
Member # 16647

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tibe still working   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Incase anyone wanna call her and chitchat about receipies:
SONOS CONTACT DETAILS
Amy Lynn Johnson
1518 Spruce Place • Minneapolis, MN 55403
phone 612-483-1637
amylynn.johnson@yahoo.com

Posts: 1325 | From: For tooti http://www.csa.gov.uk/ | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
weirdkitty
Member # 15365

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for weirdkitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I have a spare jar of egyptian tahini I can post to you !
Well that's the thing. We have a jar of the stuff, but its not how it is in the restaurant, things need to be added (straight from the jar it's horrible). But we are not exactly what needs to go into it, and how much.

quote:
Mahmouds fav is tuna mayo sandwiches!!!!
Lol, Sam's is prawn mayo sandwiches. Oh, and he has discovered krispy kreme doughnuts!

--------------------
Another one....

Posts: 2573 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tibe still working
Member # 16647

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tibe still working   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by weirdkitty:
quote:
I have a spare jar of egyptian tahini I can post to you !
Well that's the thing. We have a jar of the stuff, but its not how it is in the restaurant, things need to be added (straight from the jar it's horrible). But we are not exactly what needs to go into it, and how much.

Oil - stire stire stire - water - stire stire stire - more oil - stirre stirre stirre - more water - when it has the right look you add pepper (prefer red but normal black also okay) and maybe some garlic salt if y like. Could also put a bit paprika in it if y like.
Posts: 1325 | From: For tooti http://www.csa.gov.uk/ | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DawnBev
Member # 11276

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnBev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and lemon juice
Posts: 1056 | From: UK, Middle East & Europe | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
weirdkitty
Member # 15365

Member Rated:
Thanks [Smile] He did know about the lemon, and was pretty sure about the black pepper. Does it matter which oil?

--------------------
Another one....

Tibe still working
Member # 16647

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by DawnBev:
and lemon juice

And some uses vinegar too - not my favorite.

WK i use olive oil and that works great.

weirdkitty
Member # 15365

Member Rated:
Haha, Sam did put vinegar in, and that's when I started backing out of the room [Big Grin]

--------------------
Another one....

Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Thanks [Smile] He did know about the lemon, and was pretty sure about the black pepper. Does it matter which oil?

Nothing better than olive oil,preferably extra-virgin one.That's the one obtained from the first pressing of the olive fruit. [Smile]
Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
quote:

Imo you don't necessary need oil, sesame paste is 90% oil anyway. But if you want to add a bit for flavour, I'd use a good olive oil

I add fresh(!) lemon juice, garlic, some cumin, chili and water and whip it until it has the right consistency.

Tahina is extremely healthy btw., sesame contains more calcium than most other foods, and lots of other minerals, vitamins, and protein. I do eat it straight out of the jar sometimes [Embarrassed] , but then I do the same with peanut butter.

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tootsie, try this:

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=13;t=001730;p=1#000000

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com