EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Egyptian Men in Cafes (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Egyptian Men in Cafes
unsure
Member # 12244

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for unsure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please go to the cafes near Khan el-Khalili. You will see foreigners men and women and Egyptians men and women at cafes. For example, I guess a muslim woman that dosen't wear a hijab is loose just like a foreign woman who wears capri's (pants that go below the calves) are loose.
Posts: 319 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kalila : )
Member # 14517

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kalila : )         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so unsure you think a foreign woman that wears capri pants is loose? as in morals?
well you can kiss my lillywhite teez!!
generalisation at it's best. [Mad]

Posts: 3945 | From: ' Res Contr ' Amor non es guirens, lai on sos poders s'atura | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unsure
Member # 12244

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for unsure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Posts: 319 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unsure
Member # 12244

Rate Member
what the hell are u talking about manx? I will not kiss your lilywhite ass I rather jump on you like white on rice.
unsure
Member # 12244

Rate Member
Since u have a comprehension problem manx I was being sarcastic.
Kalila : )
Member # 14517

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kalila : )         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
white on rye? your post can be taken in both contexts, negative and positive, i took it the wrong way , i apologise [Smile]
Posts: 3945 | From: ' Res Contr ' Amor non es guirens, lai on sos poders s'atura | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
samegy
Member # 15090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for samegy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"lilywhite ass"

What is this? LOL!

Posts: 141 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by samegy:
"lilywhite ass"

What is this? LOL!

yr ass is as white as a summer lilly
hahahahahahaha
a common phrase used in usa
we use it all the time just sayin kiss my ass and lilly cas its white!!!

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reb27
Member # 15217

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for reb27     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are quite alot of women who go to the main coffee shop in Aswan, they go with the husbands and nobody seems to care.

From what i have seen most men are either just watching the street action or talking about there day and of course football [Smile]

Posts: 30 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
From what I understand, a "decent" woman just wouldn't put herself amongst a bunch of men. Those who do are considered to be loose.

Well, as a foreign woman you are considered loose by default anyway.

But, that aside, many people actually do recognize / accept that we have different standards and habits, so we can get away with some things that an Egyptian woman would be frowned upon for, such as hanging out at coffeeshops with a man.

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia*:
quote:
From what I understand, a "decent" woman just wouldn't put herself amongst a bunch of men. Those who do are considered to be loose.

Well, as a foreign woman you are considered loose by default anyway.

But, that aside, many people actually do recognize / accept that we have different standards and habits, so we can get away with some things that an Egyptian woman would be frowned upon for, such as hanging out at coffeeshops with a man.

So true Dalia.
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia*:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by samegy:
[qb]From what I understand, a "decent" woman just wouldn't lput herself amongst a bunch of men. Those who do are considered to be loose.

I used to sit in cafes both western and traditional style, and I'm pretty sure that none of my friends or family thought I was loose.
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Samegy there are really two types of coffee shops.
Ones that are very much men only and its common sense which ones these are, you would not want to go in them as they are usually very basic and you would not feel comfortable sitting there.

Then there are more upmarket coffee shops both traditional and western where men women families all go to spend time. Its perfectly normal and you would not be considered loose whether you were with a man or not.

You have to question the kind of background of someone making a statement like your friend did. Maybe he has never stepped out into a big city before and is just used to the very traditional rural areas.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny:
Ones that are very much men only and its common sense which ones these are, you would not want to go in them as they are usually very basic and you would not feel comfortable sitting there.

Then there are more upmarket coffee shops both traditional and western where men women families all go to spend time. Its perfectly normal and you would not be considered loose whether you were with a man or not.

You have to question the kind of background of someone making a statement like your friend did. Maybe he has never stepped out into a big city before and is just used to the very traditional rural areas.

I've seen both kinds of net cafes, also. There are some I've seen where women/girls go in, sometimes women go in and chat with their sons in other countries, etc.

BTW, PENNY!! [Smile] My dear sweet friend, I'm so happy to see you back!! [Smile]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yorkshire rose
Member # 12072

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yorkshire rose   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my fella dont sit in them, i guess im lucky and iff we go he takes me along.

--------------------
Alison Faragalla

Posts: 4149 | From: Egypt | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
samegy
Member # 15090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for samegy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny:

No no no. No friend told me that. It was something that I had read in a couple of different books about Egypt.
Posts: 141 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com