EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » CANCELLED El Korba Festival 14th May 2010

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: CANCELLED El Korba Festival 14th May 2010
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is cancelled.
I made a new thread for it to make sure everyoneknows.

See this thread for discussion:

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=019584

Apart from the messages I have been sent from different FB groups, one person I know called one of the two numbers from yesterday (Suzanne Mubarak Foundation) and was told for sure the same.

It is being replaced with a music festival on June 25th in the gardens of the Baron Palace.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got distracted by a phone call this morning and forgot to post, but I had hubby call this morning, that number you listed for the foundation, and they had no idea what he was talking about. They asked around at their office and no one had a clue! Go figure. [Razz]

Anyways, thanks for the info.

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do the words - organize - p* up - brewery spring to mind anyone? LOL!
Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's with the zed in organize??? [Wink]

Thought it was strange that there has been no advertising...

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

American sp.
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I fathomed that... just wondered why you went all American on us.

We are all shire hobbits and dammit we should remain this way until we all die of tooth decay.

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

I prefer organize that's why!

I think you and me are too tall to be hobbits CF - though I'm not commenting on the big hairy feet.

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
I am going to set up an S not Z fan club!!! [Razz]

Unless we are giant hobbits???

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shanta Qadeama:
Is cancelled.
I made a new thread for it to make sure everyoneknows.

See this thread for discussion:

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=019584

Apart from the messages I have been sent from different FB groups, one person I know called one of the two numbers from yesterday (Suzanne Mubarak Foundation) and was told for sure the same.

It is being replaced with a music festival on June 25th in the gardens of the Baron Palace.

I am actually p*ssed. Really it shouldn't bother me since I am not a local and wasn't looking forward to it but other thousands of people were very much so.

Also the decision was made on quite short notice and wth is the talk about a music concert which should replace this very important festival??

It's said that the cancellation happened due to 'security concerns'. Is this how the Egyptian government takes revenge on its own people because they dared to protest and speak up their mind in recent weeks???

IMHO take the last few joys away from Egyptian citizens and see what will happen....

This is BULLSH#T.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

I just received this one! I think it's too late for Friday - maybe it relates to the proposal to have the music festival in June!

"hi
the carnival may held in the barons mansion we dont know yet but for no there is no carnival its canceld thats for now due 2 some issues and problems as soon as we solve it we are gonne tell u if its gonne held or no and we r not sure yet about the barons mansion yet we will msg u and tell u if the carnival gonne held this year or not and where and when we r really sorry we know that u all confused but we really wann the carnival 2 be held so we r trying or best
thx al
"

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Baron's mansion, do they mean the Baron Palace???

Man alive I hope not as it is a preserved site full of heritage and beauty and also is not the largest of areas...

malimaz
Member # 17616

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for malimaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey CF lol I resemble that remark Im american but hell I can be anything LOL.... shire egyptian but yeah me too, I am too tall to be a hobbit lol
Posts: 108 | From: Egypt | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Baron's mansion is haunted!!! [Eek!]

And in its current state it is also an unsafe place to held any kind of social event (music concert?? [Confused] )

What a shame that the Egyptian government hasn't found the interest and the resources yet to restore this important landmark.....

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malimaz
Member # 17616

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for malimaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard that the current owners are still the Saudi owners, and are not permitted to sale the property or convert it to a hotel or museum as they originally wanted, and that the Government had offered to restore it for touristic purposes if they would donate it. LOL yeah let me own a property worth millions of EGP and DONATE it to the government, they should be more flexible, I agree its a wonderful historical landmark that should be preserved. Its a shame.
Posts: 108 | From: Egypt | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes the place was for many years in the hands of Saudis but is now for several years in the ownership of the Egyptian gov again.

I guess only the pyramids are important enough to excavate and to maintain??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baron_Empain

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
http://www.egy.com/landmarks/97-05-01.1.shtml

A link detailing the history of Heliopolis... I particularly like reading about the history of the trams and buildings...

So they do mean the Palace... good in a way as I can walk there in 2 mins. It is such a beautifully styled building and I love it at night when it is all lit up. fail to see how it can be used for a musica festival though as like I said, it is rather small and next time you drive past look at the beautiful preserved gardens with numerous plant beds trees around... where will the people actually stand???

Malimaz, have you been to see Baron Edouard Empain's tomb in Basilique crypt??? Eerie and a little too like Indiana Jones for me but none the less, an experience.

malimaz
Member # 17616

Rate Member
No I have not been there but sounds very coooooool lol Im into that indian jones creepy crawly theme lol, would like to tour barons too, its like 5 min from my office.

Where is the Tomb?

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
The tomb is in the Basilica... the big jelly mould shape church in Korba heading towards Hureya Mall.

The last time I tried to get in the Palace I was told it was out of bounds to the public, also in 4 years I have never seen tourists or such alike in there... just gardeners.

I pass it everyday so I will start looking harder to see if it is being done up.

I hope not as I adore it... the style of it is amazing [Big Grin] (I have an inner Geekdom)

malimaz
Member # 17616

Rate Member
Yeah I used to pass it daily when I was coming from Faisal; and like twice a week I would see tour groups, most likely engineering or architecture students.
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

OK Latest info received re the festival:

hi
there is 2 things now about the carnival
1. it may be held next friday 14/5/2010 from 10 am to 10 pm
2. that there is no carnival and they replace it with soe sord of music festival its gonne be on 25/5/2010
we r not sure yet we r gonne send u msg 2 confirm if there is gonne be a carnival or not and if they really replace it with that music festival or not
sorry but we all r confused
we r really sorry
thx very much
wait for the next msg and isa there is gonne be a carnival

As that is the day after tomorrow - I would say if you live near, try and see if it's on, if you don't, probably not worth making a special journey.

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
I hate that style of chavvy writing!!!

Basically SQ, the folk you are getting mail from clearly have nothing to do with the festival otherwise they would know for sure if the day after tomorrow is going to be on or not. I am pretty certain there are people in the know and they don't know them!

The Palace this morning was deserted aside from a security guard snoozing.

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Noone knows who is in charge of the festival that's the problem!!!

LovedOne called the Suzanne Mubarak Foundation who disclaimed all knowledge, someone else (not ES) called them and they said it wasn't cancelled it was on 25th June instead!
So who the heck knows!

I am washing my hands of the whole thing. To the best of my knowledge it is CANCELLED and will be replaced by a music festival either on 25th June or 25th May at Baron's Palace.

This is my last post on the subject of El Korba festival. I am sad about it though because it's a great day out.

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Well for an event that hosts stalls for all, live music stages, entertainment for various countries, advertising to the hilt and food stalls etc. there surely has to be somebody in the know!!! There will be hundreds involved in the preparation of it...

Do your contacts know the bands who were meant to perform? Can they not be contact for eg?

TBH, the confirmation it was happening was tenuous so it would not shock me if it was never happening in the first place [Big Grin]

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

The bands were supposed to be Wust El Balad and Omar Khaiat (sp??) I checked WEB and they were down a couple of weeks back as being 15th May (back when the date was 15th!!!)

The year before last I think it was cancelled and rescheduled for a week later at very short notice, so nothing surprises me CF!!!!

I have never actually seen any advertising for it and year, but then I don't live up that way so I wouldn't! But for something attracting people from all over cairo you would expect something on the internet even in Arabic - as it is even in egyptian google, the Oldbag comes up in the top few links about it!

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
I haven't seen anything over here in any form of advertising... and I don't recall hearing of any expats been offered stalls like last year either.

Ah well... all of us who had planned a day out have now planned another so whether it is on or off it makes no odds now.

Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the security ppl. were able to control mobs in football stadium why can't they do that in a peaceful event ?? [Confused]

This country is getting more anti-fun with time.. we'll soon turn into a Peshawar to please the fanatic mofos.

PS : Stalker..do your daily $hit, I'm out for the day, I expect 4 full pages of tooti is dzosser from you when I return tonight.
Fvck you for now.. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Naturally for security it would be a very unideal place to encourage a large crowd of potential rioters and protesters who do not agree with Tuesdays ruling.

Korba is a stones throw away from the Presidential zone.

What some folk may consider anti-fun may actually be in the best interest of those members of public who do not wish to become part of a potential riot!

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

I think this is as official as it's going to get that it's cancelled:

http://www.youm7.com/News.asp?NewsID=226602&

أعلنت حركة "سوزان مبارك الدولية للمرأة من أجل السلام"، عن تأجيل موعد المهرجان السنوى، الذى تقيمه الحركة بالتعاون مع جمعية مصر الجديدة إلى شهر يونيه القادم بدلاً من السبت 15 مايو الجارى.

ويشهد احتفال هذا العام، الذى سيقام تحت شعار "عالم واحد" مهرجاناً للموسيقى العالمية بحديقة قصر البارون، وبمشاركة عدد كبير من دول العالم، وذلك على اعتبار أن الموسيقى هى اللغة التى توحد الشعوب.

The Movement, "Suzanne Mubarak International Women for Peace", on the postponement of the annual festival, which hosted the movement in collaboration with the Association of New Egypt next June, instead of Saturday, May 15th this month. etc etc.

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

I do feel very sorry for the poor guy who's been trying his best to keep everyone informed, he's getting a lot of flack.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com