EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Kemet » Replica of Phoenician Era Ship Crosses Atlantic to FL » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™   Image - UBB Code™

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
Yatunde Lisa Bey
Member # 22253
 - posted
The Phoenicia trawled through the ocean, collecting microplastics, as it travelled from Carthage, Tunisia through to Cadiz (Spain), Essaouira (Morocco), Tenerife (Canary Islands) and Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic) before finally arriving in Fort Lauderdale, Florida on 4 February 2020.

https://www.unep.org/news-and-stories/story/replica-2000-year-old-boat-makes-landfall-florida-after-6000-mile-journey

-

Shipping gold from Africa, tin from Britain and linen from Egypt, the Phoenicians were once one of the most significant trading powers in the world. Their position as dominant seafarers has been noted by Homer, The Bible, and Ancient Egyptian artwork. Artefacts show that their trade route stretched from Ancient Britain through to Southern Europe and Western Asia, and some believe that the Phoenicians were the first to make the perilous Atlantic crossing to the Americas—millennia before Columbus.

Over 2,000 years after their prominence, British adventurer, expedition leader and Phoenician enthusiast Philip Beale now captains The Phoenicia—the only known replica of a Phoenician ship in existence. Inspired by tales of the Phoenicians’ advanced naval capabilities for the time, in 2008 to 2010, Beale circumnavigated Africa on the replica. This marked the longest known voyage in a replica of an ancient ship in modern history.

On 23 September 2019, Beale took on a new challenge: a 6,000-mile, five-month voyage from Tunisia to the United States.

Archeopteryx
Member # 23193
 - posted
It has nearly become a tradition in itself to cross the Atlantic with replicas of different ancient vessels. Thus copies of viking ships have done it, and of course Thor Heyerdahl in Ra I and Ra II. Tim Severin also made a crossing in a two-masted boat which was built of Irish ash and oak, hand-lashed together with nearly two miles (3 km) of leather thong, wrapped with 49 traditionally tanned ox hides, and sealed with wool grease, following in the supposed wake of the Irish monk Brendan.

Ra II - Thor Heyerdahl

Tim Severin

Viking ship: Draken Harald Hårfagre

-
Tim Severins boat Brendan

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com