This is topic A Rich Person Purchased a $142.3 Million painting. in forum Deshret at EgyptSearch Forums.

To visit this topic, use this URL:
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=008613

Posted by mena7 (Member # 20555) on :

Some Rich people are crazy, a super rich person purchased an ugly contemporary paintings by Francis Bacon for $142.3 million. I don't think somebody should pay more then $10 million for a contemporary painting. An ancient portrait of renaissance monarchs shouldn't cost more then $20 million.

Another out of touch with reality rich person paid $50 million for a pink dog sculpture.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2505752/Did-Roman-Abramovich-buy-Francis-Bacons-Three-Studies-Lucian-Freud-89m.html

-
$142.3 million Francis Bacon Lucian Freud painting set.

-
Three studies of Lucian Freud painting set.

-
Some rich buffoon paid $55 million for a pink Jeff Koons balloon dog.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/08/balloon-dog-christies_n_3882510.html

-
Edgar Munch ugly painting name Scream sold for $120 million. It was purchased by NYC billionaire Leon Black.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2172535/New-York-billionaire-Leon-Black-revealed-buyer-Edvard-Munchs-The-Scream--sold-record-breaking-120-MILLION.html

-
Billionaire Lily Safra purchased an ugly sculpture named the walking man for $ 103 million

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=aoeAOb3JZ7ME

-
Billionaire Leonard Lauder paid $138 million for a portrait of Adele Bloch Bauer by kymt.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/19/arts/design/19klim.html?pagewanted=all

With a fortune of $142 million I can open a retail store or buy five gas stations or open a bank outside the USA or an investment fund or build three hotels or buy one countainer ship.

If IM already rich and I have a successful business then I will collect ancient civilization coins. I will collect ancient civilizations statues and figurines. I will collect African arts. I will collect grand complication Swiss watches. I will probably spend hundred of thousand for ancient painting.

With $142.3 million fortune I can hire hundred of historians and oral historians from around the world to write the real history of the world. Purchasing an oil and canvas contemporary painting for $100 million is dumb.

Posted by malibudusul (Member # 19346) on :

He is not crazy. He have money for this.

Posted by malibudusul (Member # 19346) on :

if i was rich i will buy some arts too
and put in my castle

Posted by geeskee55 (Member # 19401) on :

If this junk is worth millions, then what would be the value of an ancient artifact such as king tut's funeral mask?

-

$10,000,000,000?

Or the miniscule but extremely ancient Venus of Willendorf?

-

$100,000,000,000?

I find it wiser for a rich person to spend money on complicated watches. They are in numbered limited edition. They are made with gold, platinum or silver, they have many functions call complications and they symbolize the zodiac and some ancient Gods.

-
Patek Phillipe Caliber 89

http://www.wthejournal.com/en/news/view/multi-complications

-
Patek Phillipe Caliber 89

-
Patek Phillipe supercomplication

http://10-most.com/the-top-10-most-expensive-watches/

Posted by Troll Patrol aka Ish Gebor (Member # 18264) on :

quote:
Originally posted by geeskee55:
If this junk is worth millions, then what would be the value of an ancient artifact such as king tut's funeral mask?

-

$10,000,000,000?

Or the miniscule but extremely ancient Venus of Willendorf?

-

$100,000,000,000?

[Big Grin] [Wink]

Posted by lamin (Member # 5777) on :

The value of an object is determined by its scarcity and utility. The person who bought that painting is not dumb at all. That Francis Bacon painting will retain its value and is a hedge against inflation, and is good collateral.

You value a painting the same way you value a $100 note. The note is just paper but it has valid exchange value.

Note parenthetically that a De Beers pink diamond just fetched $83 million at an auction in Geneva. The diamond was mined in Southern Africa but DeBeers--understandably-- would not say where.

The looting of Africa continues. If Mandela had nationalised DeBeers that 60 carat diamond would be now South African property. Be he didn't. That's why he's adored by the whites--worldwide.

I just looked up the value of the Venus of Willendorf.

http://kalinnacheff.com/2013/03/19/the-venus-of-willendorf/

Nomadic people, hunter-gatherers in the place where is now the village Willendorf in Austria created this small statue about 25000 years ago. The archaeologists who found the statue called it the Venus of Willendorf. The Venus, small enough to fit in the palm of your hand, is now in the Museum of Natural History of Vienna—the museum’s most prized possession worth $60 million.

So a unique ancient artifact, which is approximately 25,000 years old, has "less value" than a modern day painting that was created by a man of European descent.

Who da thunk it!

The Reason Why Francis Bacon's 'Lucian Freud' Is Worth $142 Million

http://www.forbes.com/sites/afontevecchia/2013/11/13/the-reason-why-francis-bacons-lucian-freud-is-worth-142-million/

While the world is scratching its head as it tries to digest the $142 million price tag slapped on Francis Bacon’s “Three Studies of Lucian Freud” at Tuesday night’s post-war and contemporary auction in Christie’s New York headquarters, the writing appears to have been on the wall for quite some time. As the ultra-wealthy become even wealthier, the top-end of the art market, along with real estate and other luxury sectors, have experienced an incredible surge as cash is being channeled into alternative investments. Add the rarity of the piece, and the performance of the contemporary art market, and you have the recipe for a global record.

After about six minutes of “fierce” bidding, as a spokesperson for Christie’s put it, several bidders had taken the value of Bacon’s triptych from approximately $80 million, where it opened, to a final price of $127 million. After auctioneer Juri Pylkkanen hammered down the piece, the art world was left with a new auction record, with Bacon’s piece dethroning Edvard Munch’s “The Scream,” which sold last year at Sotheby’s for $120 million.

The total value of the auction also marked a new record, grossing $691.6 million and leaving in the dust none other than Christie’s’ last blockbuster evening sale held in May which fetched $495 million. Three pieces sold for more than $50 million, with 11 pricing in north of $20 million, with a Jeff Koons and a Warhol going for nearly $60 million each.

The figures are astronomical, yet that wasn’t unexpected, according to Thomas Galbraith of online auction house Paddle8. “This is consistent with what we’ve been seeing the market doing,” Galbraith explains. “Three Studies of Lucian Freud” won its place as the world’s most expensive artwork given a confluence of factors, from the intrinsic value of the work itself to the state of the market.

“Bacon has a relatively small body of work, he wasn’t nearly as prolific as someone like Picasso,” Katherine Markley, artnet’s lead market analyst, said. While there were seven pieces by Andy Warhol up for grabs during Tuesday’s auction, “only 10 Bacon lots have come to auction in 2013,” Markley added.

Furthermore, the piece has a sort of intrinsic, yet subjective, value given its importance from an historical perspective. “The subject matter is very important for the Bacon market given the well documented camaraderie and rivalry he had with Lucian Freud,” Galbraith notes. Given the rarity of the piece, the auction house will also feed the PR machine, drawing a crowd of clients and observers that creates a feedback loop that reinforces the importance of the auction and the piece, evidenced by the completely packed room at Christie’s on Tuesday.

Another major factor is the wind that has been blowing behind the contemporary market’s sales over the past decade. From total sales of about $850 million in 2002, the contemporary sector has skyrocketed to about $6 billion last year, artnet’s data shows. This has happened at the expense of the impressionist and modern market, as less and less top-tier pieces come to market. Munch’s “Scream” was one of the major works of the modern and impressionist age, allowing it to become the most valuable auction sale last year, despite the rise of the contemporary market.

The final, and possibly most important factor is the rise of the mega-rich. “Since the recession, the wealthy appear to be becoming even wealthier, while middle class wages are more stagnant,” said Galbraith, who notes this is apparent in the art market where the high-end is experiencing more activity. “The ultra high net worth and the newly wealthy are looking to get into the art market,” said Markley, who notes contemporary art is accessible and acts well as a status symbol. If the Forbes 400 is any indication, the wealthy are getting wealthier, with the 400 richest Americans now worth a cumulative $2 trillion, up $300 billion from a year ago and with an average net worth of a record $5 billion, an $800 million increase from a year ago.

The luxury market is firing on all cylinders, as Manhattan real estate brokers can attest to. This is very clear when one looks at global art markets, particularly at the high end in New York and London, and beyond. Bacon’s record piece is but one more example of this “new era” that many are calling a bubble. Yet, as long as the rich continue to get richer, there doesn’t appear to be any indication this trend will reverse itself.

???

The archeologists discovered many treasures in King Tut's tomb including thrones, beds, chariots, cloths, and statues of gods. Most of his treasures were made from gold, ivory, and precious stones. His coffin was the most magnificent. It was made from solid gold, and weighed 2,500 pounds. Today it is worth $13 million. The headpiece is a stunning example of ancient goldsmith's art. It was made of gold, ebony, and turquoise, and it was lined with many different stones and colored glass.

http://library.thinkquest.org/J002046F/tut.htm

One of the king's golden coffin costs $6 million dollars at today's value.

http://lordschattenjagger.freehosting.net/insearchof/kingtutsgrave.html

All jokes aside.

Luckily there is another source, which is more relevant.

Today, objects from King Tut's tomb tour the world's museums. The Museum of Ancient Art in Switzerland estimated the traveling exhibit's value at $850 million. That doesn't include what remains in the tomb.

http://www.dentonisd.org/cms/lib/tx21000245/centricity/Domain/2094/Saving_the_Boy_King.pdf

The $83 million pink diamond make more sense then the 142.3 million painting. Pink diamond of this size are very rare. It is hard work to unearth diamond, you have to dig out tons of earth to find a pink diamond. Diamond are the hardest rock on earth, diamond are almost indestructible because of that it make sense to pay million for a diamond. Like the name of the James Bond movie Diamond Last Forever. a $142.3 million painting can be destroyed by fire, flood and a crazy person with a knife.

I will not pay $83 million for one pink diamond if I was rich but I will have million of dollar worth of diamond because diamond is a good form of currency that is easy to transport and untraceable . It is unfortunate that the world diamond trade is not in black African hand but instead on DeBeers and Oppenheimer family hand and the hand of their compatriots in London, Bruxelles, Amsterdam and New York. I hope synthetic diamond doesn't equal the quality of real diamond.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2506934/The-real-Pink-Panther-A-record-price-52million-worlds-finest-diamond-sold-anonymous-bidder.html

-

-

-

Posted by lamin (Member # 5777) on :

A Girl's[European] best friend. Thanks to DeBeers et al.

Posted by the lioness, (Member # 17353) on :

KANYE WEST
 -

-

-

he can do anything he wants to

^Of course he can, why limiting yourself?

quote:
Originally posted by lamin:
A Girl's[European] best friend. Thanks to DeBeers et al.

And it's superficial nonsense.

Common black rapper Kanye West you suppose to have consciousness Iesu/Issa/Yehoshua/Jesus Christ/Karast was black or brown. Making a white Jesus diamond medaille doesn't make sense.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

The picture of black Iesu/Jesus is a very powerful picture.

quote:
Originally posted by mena7:

-

We have to remember that thousands of years Before a "Baby Jesus" there was a baby Heru.

-

I do agree that he looks ridiculous with that albino "messiah"around his neck.

-

-

-

quote:
 -

-

The Goddess Auset aka Isis

Statute of Isis Suckling Horus; Bronze
Karnak Late Period (664-332 B.C.)
Egyptian Museum, Cairo

Interetesting,

Countless bronze figures of Isis nursing her son Horus exist from the later periods of ancient Egypt. The wife of Osiris represented both the feminine ideal and the grandmother of the royal heir. During the first millennium BC, she was the object of a strong religious fervor, as illustrated in her Nubian temple on the island of Philae and the expansion of her cult around the entire Mediterranean basin.
 -
between circa 680 and circa 640 BC (Late Period)
Medium bronze, remains of silver inlay
Dimensions
55 × 15 × 23.5 cm (21.7 × 5.9 × 9.3 in);
61 cm (24 in) (h. base and object)

1931: bequeathed to Walters Art Museum by Henry Walters

-
B3331. AN EXCEPTIONAL BRONZE ISIS AND HORUS FIGURE. Egypt, late 2nd millennium BC. The goddess wearing her crown, seated with the child Horus on her lap offering her breast to him. 5.5 inches. Repair to one horn of the crown. An exceptional conplete example with excellent detail in choice condition. Mounted on custom stand using the original mounting tenons. The piece originally ex. Christie's or Bonhams, London.
 -
 -
Statuette: Isis suckling Horus
Late Period, 664-332 BC
Bronze
H. 27.40 cm
Louvre Museum

quote:
quote:

-

We have to remember that thousands of years Before a "Baby Jesus" there was a baby Heru.

-

-

I have always wondered about this:

Matthew 2:14,

The Flight to Egypt

13 Now when they had gone, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream and said, "Get up! Take the Child and His mother and flee to Egypt, and remain there until I tell you; for Herod is going to search for the Child to destroy Him." 14 So Joseph got up and took the Child and His mother while it was still night, and left for Egypt. 15 He remained there until the death of Herod. This was to fulfill what had been spoken by the Lord through the prophet: "OUT OF EGYPT I CALLED MY SON."

-

-

-

According to reports,

Kanye’s truck jewels designed by Jacob the Jeweler—which also includes a four-finger pyramid ring made of 24 karat gold—cost $300,000.

quote:
 -

-

Philae is really beautiful. Large rock mountains coming out of the water, and you're surrounded by it.

-

You'll see a lot of local woman looking like Auset.

-

quote:
quote:

-

-

Cracking the Hellenistic code:

-

-

Statuette of Isis and Horus

Period: Macedonian-Ptolemaic Period Date: 332–30 B.C. Geography: Country of Origin Egypt Medium: Faience Dimensions: H. 17 cm (6 11/16 in) Credit Line: Purchase, Joseph Pulitzer Bequest, 1955 Accession Number: 55.121.5

quote:
For the ancient Egyptians the image of the goddess Isis suckling her son Horus was a powerful symbol of rebirth that was carried into the Ptolemaic period and later transferred to Rome, where the cult of the goddess was established. This piece of faience sculpture joins the tradition of pharaonic Egypt with the artistic style of the Ptolemaic period. On the goddess's head is the throne hieroglyph that represents her name. She also wears a vulture head-covering reserved for queens and goddesses. Following ancient conventions for indicating childhood, Horus is naked and wears a single lock of hair on the right side of his head.
http://www.metmuseum.org/Collections/search-the-collections/548310

quote:
 -

quote:

Faience statuette of Isis suckling Horus, ECM 1717, Eton College Myers Collection

Isis Suckling Horus Statuette: The Egyptian Mother Goddess

Research of both a scientific and art historical nature was carried out on this statuette from the Eton Myers Collection, in order to gain a better understanding of how this piece was made and its function as a votive object within the cult of Isis. The most important goddess of Ancient Egyptian history, especially toward the later periods, Isis was worshipped all throughout Egypt, Italy, and Greece, and her influence remained strong even after the collapse of the Egyptian empire. This talk will address, briefly, the dating, provenance, and use of this statuette.

Christa Wentt is a Biology major and English minor at Johns Hopkins. She will be graduating in May with a Bachelor of Arts degree, and plans to enter medical school in 2014. Her interest in the cultures of Ancient Egypt and Ancient Israel led her to pursue this research.

http://archaeologicalmuseum.jhu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Wentt-ECM-1717.jpg

http://archaeologicalmuseum.jhu.edu/the-collection/object-stories/symposium-2013-2/isis-suckling-horus-statuette/

^^^^

Thanks for that presentation. She did a great job.

I took note of her comment about the features.

what she said about the rounded noses being more Egyptian is nonsense.
There are a variety of features in Egyptian art going back in dynasties much earlier

quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
what she said about the rounded noses being more Egyptian is nonsense.
There are a variety of features in Egyptian art going back in dynasties much earlier

Yes, that's true. But she is a Biology major and English minor.

Not in, Egyptology, Archeology or Anthropology.

Despite of this it was a great presentation.

quote:
Originally posted by Troll Patrol aka Ish Gebor:
quote:
quote:

-

-

Cracking the Hellenistic code:

-

-

Statuette of Isis and Horus

Period: Macedonian-Ptolemaic Period Date: 332–30 B.C. Geography: Country of Origin Egypt Medium: Faience Dimensions: H. 17 cm (6 11/16 in) Credit Line: Purchase, Joseph Pulitzer Bequest, 1955 Accession Number: 55.121.5

quote:
For the ancient Egyptians the image of the goddess Isis suckling her son Horus was a powerful symbol of rebirth that was carried into the Ptolemaic period and later transferred to Rome, where the cult of the goddess was established. This piece of faience sculpture joins the tradition of pharaonic Egypt with the artistic style of the Ptolemaic period. On the goddess's head is the throne hieroglyph that represents her name. She also wears a vulture head-covering reserved for queens and goddesses. Following ancient conventions for indicating childhood, Horus is naked and wears a single lock of hair on the right side of his head.
http://www.metmuseum.org/Collections/search-the-collections/548310
We now know the evolution of this segment. Which was, from where does this figurine come, originally?

Especially since this is known, the unraveling can begin:

quote:
During the ritual a living falcon was crowned king, symbolizing the renewal of Egyptian kingship. The ritual is one of the most elaborate temple rituals known of the Ptolemaic and Roman periods and it reflects a new attitude to the representation of kingship and royal symbolism, in which the traditional religious role of the pharaoh was replaced by other symbols
--Leiden University Institute for Area Studies, SMES, Egyptology

http://www.hum.leiden.edu/lias/organisation/egyptology/hovencvanden.html

-

Lot 227 An important and rare Fang female reliquary guardian torso
height 111/2 in. (29.2cm.)
estimate $500,000-700,000
SOLD for $1,542,500 USD

the torso pierced through transversely beneath the tapering torso with incised scarification in arching forms on the front and rows of repeating diamonds
on the reverse, the rounded shoulders hunched forward and leading to the curving arms held forward and framing the dramatic pendant conical breasts,
a finely carved notched spine on the back, beneath a flat round face decorated with three lines of raised scarification inset and radiating from the
downturned mouth, a similar single line across the domed forehead, with a raised nose and asymmetrical attached circular discs for the eyes, and
framed by raised pierced circles for the ears, wearing a wig-like coiffure descending from the crown with elegant long crosshatched tresses and a
smooth medial ridge; shiny black patina, Inagaki base.

Provenance:
Docteur Paul Chadourne, Paris
Morris Pinto, Paris

more sales;

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.randafricanart.com/images/

IM happy to see An African statue selling for $1 million. African artists were always complaining about Westerner buying their art cheap. African were the first artist in the world because of that African art is more powerful and should be very expensive.

I like the art and jewelry business because a diamond you can hold in your hand and a figurine as long as your arm can cost $100,000 to a $1 million.

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com