This is topic Was there another female ruler besides Cleopatra? in forum Deshret at EgyptSearch Forums.

To visit this topic, use this URL:
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=003837

Posted by Ceasar (Member # 18274) on :

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40472692/ns/technology_and_science-science/

Posted by The Explorer (Member # 14778) on :

Hatshepsut and Nefertiti [I believe briefly]. I've heard claims that there may have even been others before Hatshepsut.

Posted by Just call me Jari (Member # 14451) on :

^^^^
The article mentions the Hatshepsut, Nefertiti as far as I know did not Rule, but you are right two other Females ruled Km.t but I can't recall their names..too tired to look it up right now.

Posted by Mike111 (Member # 9361) on :

Queens of Egypt

"Neferusobek", she was the eighth ruler of the 12th Dynasty ( 1763-1759 B.C.)

-

Hatshepsut, the fifth ruler of the 18th Dynasty

-

Queen Tausert, the last ruler of the nineteenth dynasty.

-

Arsinoe II

-

The story of Arsinoe II's life is much like a Greek tragic play. It is filled with death, greed, and intrigue. Arsinoe II (316-271 B.C.E.) was the daughter of King Ptolemy I and was married to King Lysimachus of Thrace at sixteen years of age. Now, at this time, her life was going exceptional well, she gave her husband three boys and in return she got whatever she wanted. Unfortunately, all good things come to an end.

When her husband died, she was offered a deal by a potential second mate. If she married him, she was promised to rule Thrace. This marriage, however, was a scam. Her second husband only wanted to get close enough to her sons to kill them. When he had succeeded in killing two of her sons and the third fled for his life, she returned to her homeland with a plan to gain power in Egypt. When she got there however, she was welcomed by a technicality that could destroy her plan.

Arsinoe's brother (Ptolemy II) the current king of Egypt, was already married to King Lysimachus' daughter Arsinoe I (282-247 B.C.E.). This little discovery put a kink in her plans, but Arsinoe II started to romance and win her brother's heart. By the year 278 B.C. Ptolemy II saw his wife, Arsinoe I as a threat, and he accused her of complicity in a plot to have him killed. Consequently, she was banished to Coptos in Upper Egypt. Arsinoe II siezed this opportunity and shortly afterward married her brother in accordance with Egyptian royal customs. Thus fulfilling the role of stepmother and sister-in-law to Arsinoe I.

She quickly became the true ruler of the country and was a key figure in court politics. Like all devoured by power and greed, once you taste it you want more. She was given divine statues and coinage was issued in her name, but it did not stop there. She wanted to reach the status of a goddess and actively pushed Arsinoe worship to achieve this task. She died at the age of forty-five, Ptolemy II built a shrine and had many cities named for her after death.

Posted by The Explorer (Member # 14778) on :

The idea that Nefertiti may have briefly ruled after Akhenaten's death reportedly comes from a stela implicating her as her husband's corengent, and possibly having ruled under the name of "Ankhkheperure Neferneferuaten".

^^^^
You know what you are right...I believe there is a steale of Nefertiti slaying the Enemies of Km.t in the same stance as Akenaten..

quote:
Originally posted by Mike111:
Queens of Egypt

"Neferusobek", she was the eighth ruler of the 12th Dynasty ( 1763-1759 B.C.)

-

Hatshepsut, the fifth ruler of the 18th Dynasty

-

Queen Tausert, the last ruler of the nineteenth dynasty.

-

Arsinoe II

-

The story of Arsinoe II's life is much like a Greek tragic play. It is filled with death, greed, and intrigue. Arsinoe II (316-271 B.C.E.) was the daughter of King Ptolemy I and was married to King Lysimachus of Thrace at sixteen years of age. Now, at this time, her life was going exceptional well, she gave her husband three boys and in return she got whatever she wanted. Unfortunately, all good things come to an end.

When her husband died, she was offered a deal by a potential second mate. If she married him, she was promised to rule Thrace. This marriage, however, was a scam. Her second husband only wanted to get close enough to her sons to kill them. When he had succeeded in killing two of her sons and the third fled for his life, she returned to her homeland with a plan to gain power in Egypt. When she got there however, she was welcomed by a technicality that could destroy her plan.

Arsinoe's brother (Ptolemy II) the current king of Egypt, was already married to King Lysimachus' daughter Arsinoe I (282-247 B.C.E.). This little discovery put a kink in her plans, but Arsinoe II started to romance and win her brother's heart. By the year 278 B.C. Ptolemy II saw his wife, Arsinoe I as a threat, and he accused her of complicity in a plot to have him killed. Consequently, she was banished to Coptos in Upper Egypt. Arsinoe II siezed this opportunity and shortly afterward married her brother in accordance with Egyptian royal customs. Thus fulfilling the role of stepmother and sister-in-law to Arsinoe I.

She quickly became the true ruler of the country and was a key figure in court politics. Like all devoured by power and greed, once you taste it you want more. She was given divine statues and coinage was issued in her name, but it did not stop there. She wanted to reach the status of a goddess and actively pushed Arsinoe worship to achieve this task. She died at the age of forty-five, Ptolemy II built a shrine and had many cities named for her after death.

Hey Clyde was there not another queen besides Neferusobek, I recall there was Two others besides Hetshepsut, not counting the First Arsinoe mentioned in the Article but a Native Egyptian...

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com