EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Religion » What IS a Hadith?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What IS a Hadith?
Hibbah
Member # 12156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hibbah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By IOL Shari`ah Researchers
March 30, 2005

A hadith (Arabic pl. ahadith) literally means “a saying,” but in the Islamic technical sense, a hadith refers to any of the following:

1. The sayings of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him), for example:

“Islam has been built on five (pillars): testifying that there is no god but Allah and that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah, performing the Prayers, paying the zakah, making the pilgrimage to the House, and fasting in Ramadan.”

2. The Prophet’s acts, for example:

Narrated Abu Salamah ibn `Abdur-Rahman that he asked `A’ishah, “How was the prayer of Allah’s Messenger in the month of Ramadan?” She replied, “He used not to pray more than eleven rak`ahs whether in Ramadan or in any other month. He used to offer four rak`ahs, let alone their beauty and length, and then four rak`ahs, let alone their beauty and length. Afterwards he would offer three rak`ahs.

3. The Prophet’s tacit approval of an action or practice, for example:

The Prophet’s approval of Khalid’s eating of the meat of dabb (a desert lizard).

4. The Prophet’s attributes, whether physical or moral, for example:

Narrated Al-Bara’: “The Prophet was of moderate height, having broad shoulders and (long) hair reaching his ear-lobes. Once I saw him in a red cloak and I had never seen a more handsome man than him.”

Narrated Ibn `Abbas: “The Prophet was the most generous of all the people, and he used to become more generous in Ramadan when Gabriel met him. Gabriel used to meet him every night during Ramadan to revise the Qur’an with him. Allah’s Messenger then used to be more generous than the fast wind.”

The Hadith (capitalized) is sometimes used as a collective noun to refer to the entire collection of the hadiths.

islamonline.com

Posts: 1967 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hibbah:

Narrated Al-Bara’: “The Prophet was of moderate height, having broad shoulders and (long) hair reaching his ear-lobes. Once I saw him in a red cloak and I had never seen a more handsome man than him.”

so its not sunna to be short and fat or tall and skinny then [Confused]
Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingTrucks
Member # 11270

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlyingTrucks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CONFUSED HERE NOW ......
Posts: 4597 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sumbula2
Member # 11665

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sumbula2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
quote:
Originally posted by hibbah:

so its not sunna to be short and fat or tall and skinny then [Confused]
no Ayisha its not.
and thats not what the article says. I'll try to find you one thats more in depth.

The article is saying that there are different types of hadith. Some of these are simply informative- in a historical context, Some are meant to show what the prophet liked, or disliked, some show his actions, some show his answers to questions about Islam, etc.

Obviously, no one is expected to emulate such physical attributes as his height (which you cant change)- so on and so fourth. Its just an observation by a sahaba of the time.

There are hadiths which have descriptions of how his forehead and how his nose looked- no one is meant to hate themselves for not having a similar look- thats not the purpose at all [Smile]

Posts: 140 | From: TX | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sumbula2
Member # 11665

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sumbula2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=10;t=002853

Ayisha, please read that short article for more of an explanation, and the post i made that says "How we made wudu, pray and more"- that ones really extensive and in my opinion, does an excellent job of explaining the relationship of quran, hadith, and madhabs [Smile]

Posts: 140 | From: TX | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com