EgyptSearch Forums
  Ancient Egypt and Egyptology
  Somalia, the people

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Somalia, the people
Don

posted 27 June 2005 01:41 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Don     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
My wife and I are helping a local refugee family from Somalia...and I would appreciate any suggestions people could give. The family has 3 younger children under 10, and 2 teens around 14 or 15. They play well with our children, although none of the Somalian kids speak any English. However, as is typical of kids...they got along well immediately and there was no shyness. My wife and I are trying to learn as much as possible as quickly as possible. We are wondering about customs and habits, things that might seem easy or normal for us but are difficult perhaps for this new family. Is there a second language they might speak? I speak some Italian and my wife speaks French. Are there foods that are offensive? Is it appropriate to offer any toys (soccer balls, baseball, etc) directly to the children? Does paying a compliment to the family make them feel indebted to us in any way? Is it inappropriate to comment on nice clothing that the teen girl wears? We have a small dog (7 pounds) that frightened the children a great deal...is there anything else like that we should be aware of? Are there any former refugees reading this column? What would have helped you the first few weeks and months when you came here? Did you like to talk about the experiences you went through to get to the United States or should I not talk about that? Are there foods you missed when you came here? Are there special days you wish people here knew about? Are birthdays celebrated? ANY help would be much appreciated!

thanks -

Don

IP: Logged

Yonis

posted 27 June 2005 03:31 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Yonis     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Don:
My wife and I are helping a local refugee family from Somalia...and I would appreciate any suggestions people could give. The family has 3 younger children under 10, and 2 teens around 14 or 15. They play well with our children, although none of the Somalian kids speak any English. However, as is typical of kids...they got along well immediately and there was no shyness. My wife and I are trying to learn as much as possible as quickly as possible. We are wondering about customs and habits, things that might seem easy or normal for us but are difficult perhaps for this new family. Is there a second language they might speak? I speak some Italian and my wife speaks French. Are there foods that are offensive? Is it appropriate to offer any toys (soccer balls, baseball, etc) directly to the children? Does paying a compliment to the family make them feel indebted to us in any way? Is it inappropriate to comment on nice clothing that the teen girl wears? We have a small dog (7 pounds) that frightened the children a great deal...is there anything else like that we should be aware of? Are there any former refugees reading this column? What would have helped you the first few weeks and months when you came here? Did you like to talk about the experiences you went through to get to the United States or should I not talk about that? Are there foods you missed when you came here? Are there special days you wish people here knew about? Are birthdays celebrated? ANY help would be much appreciated!

thanks -

Don

Are these people ethnic Somalis or Somali bantu? cause I know the US government has recently been accepting a huge number of Somali bantu. I can tell you that Somali bantus have their own distinct culture and values than ethnic Somalis, so why not google up "Somali bantu", I'm sure there are loads of information about their customs on the internet.

Waryaa

posted 28 June 2005 03:33 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Waryaa     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Don, I believe the resettled refugees you are talking about are Somali Bantus who are increasingly arriving in the US.

Few little facts:

Most Somali Bantus speak the af Maay dialect of Somali spoken in Southwest of Somalia. Most used to be farmers. They originally came from countries like Tanzania, Malawi and Mozambique.

Can you be specific what do you want to know regarding them?

Waryaa

posted 28 June 2005 04:06 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Waryaa     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Are there foods that are offensive?

Muslims do not eat any pork-related products. Muslims don't drink alcohol. Or any other "haram" products. For more information about "haram" (not permitted) and "halal" (permitted), search the net.

quote:
Is it appropriate to offer any toys (soccer balls, baseball, etc) directly to the children?

No problem with this, but may not be culturally familiar to some toys.

quote:
Does paying a compliment to the family make them feel indebted to us in any way?

In Somali culture, "thank you" and "please," do not exist. Yes, of course, the terms exist for we aren't thankless or ungrateful, but they aren't uttered but each individual who does something for you assumes that you are thanking him/her in your heart than saying it aloud.

quote:
Is it inappropriate to comment on nice clothing that the teen girl wears?

No, it isn't inappropriate.

quote:
We have a small dog (7 pounds) that frightened the children a great deal...

Muslims generally consider dogs to be unclean and dirty, especially wet ones, so they stay away from them. In Somali culture, most--adult and children--are frightened by dogs which they consider more dirtier.

quote:
Are there special days you wish people here knew about?

Muslims have two special holidays called Eid. One happens after the end of fasting month of Ramadan, while the other occurs at the end of Hajj, the pigrimage. Also Muslims pray a special congregate prayers on Fridays at middays.

quote:
Are birthdays celebrated?

Most Somalis do not celebrate birthdays; it is just another day.

COBRA

posted 28 June 2005 11:57 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for COBRA     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Don.....ARE YOU TRYING TO CONVERT THESE SOMALIES??

Djehuti

posted 28 June 2005 12:20 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Djehuti     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by COBRA:
Don.....ARE YOU TRYING TO CONVERT THESE SOMALIES??

LOL what makes you say this Cobra?

COBRA

posted 28 June 2005 12:24 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for COBRA     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
[b]LOL what makes you say this Cobra?

[/B]

WELL Djehuti....I HAD THE EVANGALICALS KNOCKING ON MY DOOR YESTERDAY.

DID'T LET THEM IN....

COBRA

posted 30 June 2005 09:02 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for COBRA     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote

so i was right.

5 days with out a reply.