EgyptSearch Forums
  Living in Egypt
  cooking disasters

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   cooking disasters
7aya

posted 26 June 2005 12:25 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for 7aya     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
hi everyone how are you? i've been trying to learn to cook for a few years now. and although i do have some recipes down, i haven't yet tried to apply any of them because i'm scared it will turn into a disaster.
although i'm almost 25 i've never learned to cook, and since i've always lived with someone else who did, i never felt the need to! but now that i'm getting married and leaving to australia inshallah,i really do need to learn, and since my fiance doesnt know how to cook either! we're going to starve!!
my ignorance in cooking is unbelievable. and by ignorance i mean i didn't even know that an onion (bsala) had to be peeled!
so i just thought it would be interesting to open a thread on cooking disasters. please anyone who attempted to cook a certain meal and ended up with something completely different tell me about it! we could learn from it, laugh about it, and to be honest i want to make myself feel a little better about my ignorance! (ya khebti)!!!

best

IP: Logged

nevermind

posted 26 June 2005 01:20 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for nevermind     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
7aya, are you by chance an arab royalty???

Anyway, I had a friend, a girl, at university, who could not cook AT ALL. OK, she knew about onionpeeling but at the end of the first year she invited us over and promised she'll make a pizza. It was the driest most tasteless pizza I have ever eaten.

Anyway, in due time she got married and stayed at home with the small kid. Guess who throws the most lavish parties with the yummiest food now, 10 years later???? (and the good cooking began much earlier)

So, there is probably no better teacher than having a loving and very hungry husband coming home day after day and asking for food.

My fiancee also thinks I cannot cook :))) but this is only because first of all it is really difficult to cook in another country where you cannot find the same things and even if you can then they do not taste 100% same, which may distort the whole recipe. And I personally hate cooking the same things over and over again, so I usually improvise with the food I happen to have in fridge, or feed some ingredients into google, add "recipe" and choose from what it feeds back to me, sometimes quite interesting things.

There is no better wooer of a man than gorgeous food (a lot of it), I'm just not clever enough to admit that. There are more important problems in the world than what to eat, right??

Farhana

posted 26 June 2005 01:23 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Farhana     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Well, i was in the exact same boat as you before i got married!!! My grandmother used to always try her best to cajole me into the kitchen to watch the preparation of some meal or another and I would laugh and tease her saying 'I'll have someone do that for me' OR 'we'll just eat take-away'...
..Well, i got married and travelled abroad, so it was all down to me to prepare the meals! I was even terrible making chips (french fries) and simple things like that..i purchased a whole load of cookbooks, in particular those written by Claudia Roden who in my opinion is just fantastic!!
I did have some real disasters..like when my husband invited about 10 people round for dinner and i made a hash of the bolognese - never again..or when i cooked the lamb for a Sunday lunch all wrong (wrong type of lamb full stop)..Aya..the list goes on my friend!!!
My advise is to get some good cookery books, have loads here if you'd like some names, recipes etc.. I now enjoy cooking and do cook for the family now and then when i return to Egypt...NOT mind you anything as difficult as mashi etc...
Don't know how they do it!!!

Tigerlilyhere

posted 26 June 2005 01:34 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Tigerlilyhere     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Hi 7aya, why not helping your mom out when she is preparing food? I learned a lot from my own mom, I am still not able to cook as good as she does but I can prepare some dishes that I and my husband really like. You better learn before you leave Egypt otherwise its going to be more difficult to cook Egyptian dishes.

About having kitchen disasters surely everyone makes them in the beginning..... I still do sometimes...... but thats life and I know as long as my hubby is eating that stuff I am relieved.

7aya

posted 26 June 2005 03:09 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for 7aya     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
i know many women who say that cooking abraod is much easier! although i can't understand why i mean the process is the same right? but whenever someone knows i'm moving to australia they say oh cooking is much simpler there, its not as complicated as egypt!! so is that true? maybe westerners who moved to egypt can help me answer that question.
the thing is i've already learned so many recipes, but i'm just too scared to go in the kitchen and do it alone!!!!
and no nevermind i'm not by any chance arab royalty.

best

Serendipity

posted 26 June 2005 03:30 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Serendipity     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Hey 7aya,
I am a disaster when it comes to the cooking part! the only thing i can make is macaroni and thank God it taste good
The biggest disaster in cooking has to be my rice challeges, can you belive i cant make RICE! everytime i try to make it, it lasts for several hours without being cooked properly, and in the end it tastes like sand! and belive me i tried really hard to learn how to cook it, but everytime I end up well half cooked rice that taste really awfull
so whenever I have to cook for myself, i make my famous macaroni-de-la Sara
but its only my cozine who likes it and she is just being nice to me when she eats it. thank God I am not going to get married for a veeeeeeeeeeeeery long time! maybe untill then they have invented some machine that will do all the cooking for you

Serendipity

posted 26 June 2005 03:34 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Serendipity     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
will you move to Australia? when will you move then? hope to get the chance to meet you before than.

nevermind

posted 26 June 2005 03:34 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for nevermind     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I once had a boyfriend whom I shocked by not knowing that tomatoes need to be peeled. I love being surrounded by better illuminated people, takes the responsibility off me, so it was OK.
But he left me shortly after that.

The thing about cooking being easier abroad may be true in the sense that, e.g. to me, most food in Egypt tastes rather bland and becomes uninteresting after a while, I mean the meat and the vegetables etc taste really good and natural, but there are not so many spices and other stuff you can add to food to create more variety. E.g. the chefs tend to say meat is just meat whatever you do with it, but it is sauces that give it its endless different tastes. I think sauces are a thing that is completely missing from the Egyptian cooking. Also, milk, butter and cheese based recipes, that all give food a kind of nice mild taste. Baked juicy food of the kind the scandinavians love (e.g. ham with cheese and onion sauce, or any baked ham for that matter, OK maybe because one cannot bake veal in the same way one can bake pork or maybe the ovens are not that popular in a hot country?).

Or salads, in a hot country and with nice tasting vegetables what could be a more delicious lunch? But there is usually only one kind of salad of tomatoes, onions and cucumbers, no spices, no oil added.

Food habits in other countries due to free travelling and resulting wider experience are also more extensive, and imports or local producing is better developed, so you almost never need to repeat any food really, and you can use the best of any nation's food habits.

[This message has been edited by nevermind (edited 26 June 2005).]

Farhana

posted 26 June 2005 04:18 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Farhana     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Hi again Aya,
I find cooking here easier but maybe that's because it's just more convenient. I don't really know where to start in our family home in Misr..I'd have to have all the ingredients laid out before me and probably bring some over too. My Aunts make the most amazing food - really don't know how they do it, all a bit too much for me. Agree with what Nevermind says. I like Asian food in particular - wouldn't have a clue how to make that the same way that i can make it here..a lot more variety here in my honest opinion but teach me to make a kosheri anyday!!!!

Mai

posted 27 June 2005 04:16 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Mai     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote

Heyyyyyyy all
dear 7aya ,,,u know i always think that cooking is a disaster till my mother traveled once for long time...and left me with my brother....
u know!! when u find urself in the case of"if i didn't do that.. no one will do"
that made me start dealing with that issue
....we think u can't do better cos always we have someone to do
specially in egypt our mothers never allow us to enter the kitchen ..and stay sad why we never help
any way i found some tips to help in that if u are intrested i can help u in some cooking hints
specially rice cos it toooook years
God with u
mai

Laura

posted 27 June 2005 06:14 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Laura     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote

Diary Of A Successful New Bride/Cook
Dear Diary,
Monday;
Now home from honeymoon and settled in our new home, it's fun to cook for Bill. Today I made an angel food cake and the recipe said, "Beat 12 eggs separately." Well, I didn't have enough bowls to do that, so I had to borrow enough bowls to beat the eggs in. The cake turned out fine.

Tuesday;
We wanted a fruit salad for supper. The recipe said, "Serve without dressing." So, I didn't dress. But, Bill happened to bring a friend home for supper that night. Did they ever look startled when I served the salad!

Wednesday:
I decided to serve rice and found a recipe which said, "Wash thoroughly before steaming the rice." So, I heated some water and took a bath before steaming the rice. Sounded kinda silly in the middle of the week. I can't say it improved the rice any.

Thursday:
Today Bill asked for salad again. I tried a new recipe. It said, "Prepare ingredients, then toss on a bed of lettuce one hour before serving." I hunted all over the garden by my Mom's. So I tossed my salad into the bed of lettuce and stood over there one hour so the dog would not take it. Bill came over and asked if I felt all right. I wonder why?

Friday:
Today I found an easy recipe for cookies. It said, "Put all ingredients in a bowl and beat it." Beat it I did, right over to my Mom's house! There must have been something wrong with the recipe, because when I came back home again it looked the same as when I left it.

Saturday:
Bill went shopping today and brought home a chicken. He asked me to dress it for Sunday. I'm sure I don't know how hens dress for Sunday. I never noticed back on the farm, but I found a doll dress and some little shoes. I though the hen looked real cute. When Bill saw it, I wondered why he counted to 10.

Sunday: Today Bill's folks came to dinner. I wanted to serve roast, but all we had in the icebox, was hamburger. So I put it in the oven and set the controls for roast. There must be a problem with the oven, because it still came out a hamburger.

Monday:
I was going to bake bread today. The recipe said, "Mix well and knead well. Then stand in a warm place until double in bulk." I just won't bake bread if I have to double in bulk! Goodnight

Dear Diary:
This has been an exciting week. I am eager for tomorrow to
come, so I can try a new recipe on Bill.

7aya

posted 27 June 2005 11:24 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for 7aya     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:

Diary Of A Successful New Bride/Cook
Dear Diary,
Monday;
Now home from honeymoon and settled in our new home, it's fun to cook for Bill. Today I made an angel food cake and the recipe said, "Beat 12 eggs separately." Well, I didn't have enough bowls to do that, so I had to borrow enough bowls to beat the eggs in. The cake turned out fine.

Tuesday;
We wanted a fruit salad for supper. The recipe said, "Serve without dressing." So, I didn't dress. But, Bill happened to bring a friend home for supper that night. Did they ever look startled when I served the salad!

Wednesday:
I decided to serve rice and found a recipe which said, "Wash thoroughly before steaming the rice." So, I heated some water and took a bath before steaming the rice. Sounded kinda silly in the middle of the week. I can't say it improved the rice any.

Thursday:
Today Bill asked for salad again. I tried a new recipe. It said, "Prepare ingredients, then toss on a bed of lettuce one hour before serving." I hunted all over the garden by my Mom's. So I tossed my salad into the bed of lettuce and stood over there one hour so the dog would not take it. Bill came over and asked if I felt all right. I wonder why?

Friday:
Today I found an easy recipe for cookies. It said, "Put all ingredients in a bowl and beat it." Beat it I did, right over to my Mom's house! There must have been something wrong with the recipe, because when I came back home again it looked the same as when I left it.

Saturday:
Bill went shopping today and brought home a chicken. He asked me to dress it for Sunday. I'm sure I don't know how hens dress for Sunday. I never noticed back on the farm, but I found a doll dress and some little shoes. I though the hen looked real cute. When Bill saw it, I wondered why he counted to 10.

Sunday: Today Bill's folks came to dinner. I wanted to serve roast, but all we had in the icebox, was hamburger. So I put it in the oven and set the controls for roast. There must be a problem with the oven, because it still came out a hamburger.

Monday:
I was going to bake bread today. The recipe said, "Mix well and knead well. Then stand in a warm place until double in bulk." I just won't bake bread if I have to double in bulk! Goodnight

Dear Diary:
This has been an exciting week. I am eager for tomorrow to
come, so I can try a new recipe on Bill.

hehe laura thats hilarious! and it's not an exageration, i can honestly feel myself doing that sort of stuff.
nevermind i dont find egyptian food bland at all, especially molokheya and hamam ma7shi yummy. but i wasn't talking about taste i was talking about the belief that its easier to cook in the west. my aunt stayed in the US for three months and she told me it used to take her 30 minutes to cook a great meal, whereas here in egypt it could take her two to three hours. so i'm just curious what makes it easier in the west. some people say that the food in european countries is half cooked anyway? is that true or a rumour spread by egyptians also some people say that the vegetables in the west are much cleaner than egypt, so you don't have to go through that boring cleaning progress. also, i heard in some places you get the vegetables already chopped up if that is true COOL!!!
mai, i would definitly love to have some of those cooking tips. just email me at yasminefathy@hotmail.com

Farhana

posted 27 June 2005 12:03 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Farhana     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Hi Aya,
I'll email you with some recipes if you like. Do you have any preferences?
Vegetables/fruit etc.. certainly look cleaner here but i always wash everything thoroughly anyway. It's definitely less time consuming, not sure why, perhaps as i said before it's just all so more convenient.

I would do anything for some Egyptian food right now...wanna send me a tray?

7aya

posted 27 June 2005 12:14 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for 7aya     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
hi farhana can you send me some tips too? my email is yasminefathy@hotmail.com

nevermind

posted 27 June 2005 12:21 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for nevermind     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
In name of truth I should maybe add that most of my experience is with Egyptian restaurant or street food, not home food. Twice when my fiancé cooked the food was indeed delicious, especially his maccaroni bechamel I still miss and I demanded that we buy it, on almost all streetcorners in Alexandria, but it was never the same . And once he made a kind of stuffed fish with bell peppers and garlic that was also delicious. But the rice I have to say is interesting at first but after a while it becomes a kind of too much since it is essentially the same, very rich taste every time. I really love very good plain rice of chinese type that has been simply steamed and has retained its original smell and pure taste. I jsut happen to prefer plain tastes because I think if a foodstuff is really really good, then you do not really need add anything to it but it is delicious as it is.

Farhana

posted 27 June 2005 12:27 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Farhana     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Aya/Yasmine

I'll email you some recipes this week inshallah. All the best wa salam x

Snoozin

posted 27 June 2005 12:51 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Snoozin     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Hello,

I don't know if my advice is particularly helpful, because I don't know much about Egyptian recipes, but when I moved out on my own, my mother gave me a copy of New Cook Book. The recipes were a bit boring, but the book was *invaluable* for the very basic information in it, like how and why to use a double boiler, how to grease and flour a pan, how to separate eggs, what cuts of meat are best for which recipes.....

Maybe there is an Egyptian equivalent?
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0696212900/qid=1119894274/sr=2-3/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_3/103-4887566-0563036

Anyway, practice practice practice is the only way I know how to perfect recipes. And don't be surprised if they turn out differently in Australia due to different ovens, etc. I just moved to an apartment and was making an almond torte, something I make all the time easily, and it burned up in this oven because the thermostat is off. That's another tip -- get an oven thermometer (they hang from the rack) to make sure the oven temperature actually *is* what it says it is.....saves a whole bunch of food from disaster.

Most of all, have fun with it! I find cooking to be very relaxing on the weekends, a great stress relief from the week at work.

gigli

posted 28 June 2005 09:10 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for gigli     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
good ones!! Ive had a few yuckie outcomes! I tried to impress (my mother cant cook so i got to do this!) I once cooked the pumpkin with the seeds (quite hard to eat) I made flat little black pancakes when attempting to bake ecclairs! I also ones left a cake in the oven for 1 and half hours. Of course it was rusks at the end! I did however perserveer and went on to become arestaurant manager and private caterer to safari company! Best recipies are the ones from small little compiled books from schools etc.! Here's a nice recipe!

Liesie's sticky chicken bbq

1kg chicken drumsticks or wings
1 big bottle ginger ale
half tsp fresh ginger
2 tsp freshly chopped garlic
1 tsp whole cloves
salt and pepper to taste
1 chicken stock cube

cover the chicken with half ginger ale and half water and add all the spices. Boil untill cooked but not too soft. Remove and strain well. Allow to dry and cool.

Now for the sticky stuff!

3/4 cup apricot jam
3/4 cup tomato sauce(make sure the tomato sauce is not runny! but has a thicker consistency)
2 tsp spicy bbq spice(or chilly beef aromat if you can find it)

Mix all of this and chuck the chicken in until its all covered. Put it on the bbq and keep basting it untill its all sticky and grilled!

Samia

posted 28 June 2005 12:22 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Samia     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Everything I cook is a disaster!!!!